G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

07' G35S 6MT - 9mo Service (ECU/Clutch Slave/etc)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' G35S 6MT - 9mo Service (ECU/Clutch Slave/etc)

Hi all,

I've been browsing this forum for months and can say that the information on this site is invaluable!

Finally got around to registering and thought I'd make a post with some questions I have regarding the TSBs available, clutch slave cylinder recall, etc. I know some of this has been addressed in other threads but I'd appreciate any thoughts/comments.

I'm taking in my G35S 6MT next week for it's 9 month service (purchased in February of 07). I currently have ~9000 miles on it and haven't had any serious issues. I've been reading a lot about the TSBs available and whether or not I should flash to the '08 when I bring it in.

I told my service rep that I wanted to get the clutch slave cylinder replacement done when I bring it in. Will they be flashing my ECU to the '08 version as part of this recall? I've heard some good and bad about the upgrade.

I don't have ICC on my car, but I have noticed that as of late the acceleration has been a little bit sluggish as well as the cold-start known issue where it idles pretty high (around 1.9-2.3k RPM) and is sluggish for about the first 10-30mins of driving.

With that said, which TSBs or fixes should I request from my dealer to address the above issues? I am extremely use to the touchy throttle and I definitely don't want want to lose any of the aggressive feel/edge of the current state of my car like I've read on some posts. Is the ITB07-045 the same TSB for cold engine start issues as well as touchy throttle? It does bother me sometimes at how jerky the car can be in 1st-2nd.

Should I just stick with the clutch-cylinder replacement and not get the cold engine start/ICC or throttle issue flash to '08? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Old 01-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm basically at the same point and am having my service tomorrow.

I just told my service rep that I received the Clutch-cylinder mailing, described other small problems that I am having, and mentioned any TSBs that I was interested in having performed.

*EDIT* Dealer just called - they don't have the parts in stock for the clutch-cylinder replacement, so that will be rescheduled.

Hope that helps

Old 01-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks JS,

I just heard back from the dealer as well and they don't have the parts in stock either. Hopefully, they will have them by the time I bring it in for service next week.

I'm still on the fence about the 07-045 update. I might just get it done because when I'm by myself driving I don't mind the touchy throttle and jerkiness. However, when I have other passengers in the car it's almost at times embarrassing and have to apologize to them for the jerkiness and convince them it's not my driving.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:23 AM
RCK
Sorry about the parts availability problems you guys are having. In any event, I had my slave cylnder replacement and the "cold start" (TSB 07-45) reflash done. I has also had the previous reflash TSB 07-28a for the ICC urge issue. Apparently TSB 45 is a refined version of the 28a reflash. So no need to get both.

My impressions after both the slave cylinder and TSB 45 reflash are in line with others on this forum. Because I had both the clutch work and the reflash done, I can't say for sure which procedure caused what.

The car accelerates more smoothly, not necessarily more slowly. If you punch it, it still responds. My 14 year old son, who likes speed and responsiveness, says his head dosn't snap back as much, but he doesn't think the car is slower. The shift is still short and crisp.

The clutch still is on the stiff side but the engagement spot seems wider, perhaps lower.

When I first got the G6MT in July, I also got used to the quick on/off feel of the throttle and the high engagement point of the clutch. The throttle issue is partly because the pedal is hinged at the top and not at the bottom. So if you toe the pedal at the bottom or middle there's a delay and surge. If you toe it at the top or place your foot flat, the throttle responds more directly, immediately and smoothly.

The clutch, along with its high engagement point, is also long and slightly forward rather than directly down as are other japanese and german manuals I've driven.

By adjusting the seat back and down the clutch action became easier with less pressure on the knee.

So, I am far into the G 6MT. And have adapted well.

But I don't think the slave cylinder issue is one you should pass up. There have been all sorts of problems with the clutch. I experienced none of them: sudden or gradual clutch lightness and then the clutch bottoming out and not coming back up. But I did get the occasional horrible burning clutch fried rodents odor, strong when I first got the car and then intemittently. I'm not a rubber peeling kind of guy and don't abuse the clutch. So I suspect the slave cylinder recall may solve that issue. Apparently they replace not just the slave cylinder but other associated parts as well.

Just my 85 cents.

Last edited by RCK; 01-30-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Good one!

Originally Posted by RCK
. . . But I did get the occasional horrible burning clutch fried rodents odor, strong when I first got the car and then intemittently. I'm not a rubber peeling kind of guy and don't abuse the clutch. So I suspect the slave cylinder recall may solve that issue. . .
Good one! Best description of burned clutch smell I've ever read. Thanks.

--Rich

Old 02-07-2008, 09:06 AM
They actually got my parts in on time, so they did perform the clutch-cylinder replacement.

They also performed the ECU update - my dealer said that since the TSB was for the automatic they had called into the tech line to see if the ICC needed to be replaced.

I also had the seat heater recall performed.
In another thread I mentioned problems with my rear door locks. They ordered replacement lock assemblies as well.

All in all, they addressed every issue I brought up to them. I'm quite happy.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:30 PM
I also have 9k and am scheduling an appointment. I have many of the same issues. If anyone has any more info that would help me describe the problems to my dealer, please let me know:

- Weather seal on passenger side is visually messed up
- I get wind noises from the driver side and passenger window (sounds like a seal issue)
- Sunroof accordion lining constantly comes undone.
- 6MT Clutch Slave Cylinder recall
- Intelligent Key Recall
- Cruise Control Jerk/Throttle sluggishness
- High Cold Idle (2300RPM or so)
- Tranny makes rattle noise like a **** when the clutch isn't depressed
- Bluetooth loses voicetags - ITB07015

Am I missing anything obvious?

Old 02-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Well mine car is going under the knife tomorrow morning. I'll report the verdict regarding the above list. I told the service receptionist that list exactly. We'll see.....

Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i could never fully figure out what everyone has meant by the throtle touchiness?

i have an 07 6mt and the thing i contantly have (and really drives me crazy) is that say i start from a light at a normal pace .... engage first ... and casually build to 2000 rpm ... if at that point I punch the throttle - ie extra 30% or so ... the car will buck/hesitate almost as if it got a dose of bad gas, before the power comes back on and the car start accelrating? is this what you guys experience

I talked to the dealership and they said there is no flash recall in Canada ? anyone else heard this ?

Old 02-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by ON_6MT
i could never fully figure out what everyone has meant by the throtle touchiness?

i have an 07 6mt and the thing i contantly have (and really drives me crazy) is that say i start from a light at a normal pace .... engage first ... and casually build to 2000 rpm ... if at that point I punch the throttle - ie extra 30% or so ... the car will buck/hesitate almost as if it got a dose of bad gas, before the power comes back on and the car start accelrating? is this what you guys experience

I talked to the dealership and they said there is no flash recall in Canada ? anyone else heard this ?
YES I HATE THAT AS WELL!

Well my car is at the dealer and in typical fashion they probably won't fix anything that isn't obvious, recall stuff. I gave him the ITB number for the bluetooth voice tag problem and he was still questioning me about it.

Most important is for me to get the cruise control fix done. I explained it to him and he looked at me like I was on crack. Does the same ITB for the auto work for the manual or are there different ones. When he calls back to tell me they don't see any problems, I'm going to just give him the ITB and say, that's the problem.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:54 AM
I had the ECU reflash done on my 6MT, but the ICC wasn't replaced since the bulletin was for the Auto.

My dealership put a call into corporate to find out if they needed to replace the ICC, and they called me back yesterday afternoon (2/7/08) and told me that Infiniti is "working on new bulletin regarding the cruise control sensor for the manual vehicles" and it should be released very soon.

Hopefully that is good news for us 6MT owners that are having the surging issue.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by ON_6MT
Is your VDC light on during the bucking? Mine was... the ITB-028a reduced this but I can still make it happen if I stomp the peddle while VDC is enabled. Turning VDC off just means I spin the tires instead. ^_^;; Is it what we mean by sensative? Yes and no. The throttle, for me, felt as if it was more or less an 100% on or 100% off affair, with only a VERY small portion of the peddles motion actually usable to control accelleration (we're talking like 1/2 of an inch or less). After the TSB the throttle is much more linear and you have to get it around 50% depressed to get 100% throttle. So much easier to drive now, imo.

Originally Posted by JS7773
I had the ECU reflash done on my 6MT, but the ICC wasn't replaced since the bulletin was for the Auto.
Strange, since they replaced the ICC in my 6MT. The bulletin isn't just for autos. It's for anything in the right VIN range.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:21 PM
I suppose that I should have specified...

Page two of the bulletin in the Parts Information section is where we got this from. It doesn't specifically include the 6MT, but it does specifically include the A/T. Applied Model is G35S Badge (Sport A/T model)

Since it specifically states that it applies to the A/T model my dealership and I both read that is may not apply to the 6MT.

They called for clarification and an updated bulletin should be released shortly.

So, my ECU was reflashed but my ICC was not replaced until the new bulletin is released.

I hope that clarifies my earlier comment. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VDC on or off makes no difference, tried both modes, car still behaves as it does. Also the slip indicator never lights up as this problem mostly occurs during times when accelrating harder but not to the point that the wheels would break traction.

Originally Posted by adamr001
Is your VDC light on during the bucking? Mine was... the ITB-028a reduced this but I can still make it happen if I stomp the peddle while VDC is enabled. Turning VDC off just means I spin the tires instead. ^_^;; Is it what we mean by sensative? Yes and no. The throttle, for me, felt as if it was more or less an 100% on or 100% off affair, with only a VERY small portion of the peddles motion actually usable to control accelleration (we're talking like 1/2 of an inch or less). After the TSB the throttle is much more linear and you have to get it around 50% depressed to get 100% throttle. So much easier to drive now, imo.

Strange, since they replaced the ICC in my 6MT. The bulletin isn't just for autos. It's for anything in the right VIN range.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:27 PM
On Page 6 of 028a it does show the programs for the MT equipped cars. Hence there's an ECU flash for MT but not a sensor replacement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07' G35S 6MT - 9mo Service (ECU/Clutch Slave/etc)