G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Fog Light Functionality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CoppellStereo
i'm pretty sure its obvious, and it was explained in this post.... the white light of the headlights reflect off the fog, as the fog lights, with a yellowish tint, do not reflect off the fog. so a foggy morning would benefit more from just the fog lights on than both the fog and headlights on. the worst fog i have experienced in houston, you should know this!
ive never felt like i needed fog lights unless it was night time, therefore headlights are already on... he never really made it clear what time of day he was talking about so i assumed night time

Last edited by meandeane; 02-06-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Mostly agree with AV

I don't view the fog lights quite as harshly as AV, but I agree with his basic point. They don't work very well. We've had a few mornings of dense fog here recently, and the fog lights were only slightly better than nothing.

Most of the cars I've owned [geez alarm on] over the past 43 years [geez alarm off] have had foglights, and all of those foglights worked better than the G's.

However, to me this is a minor point because the G is such a wonderful car in most respects. Plus, even the best foglights aren't that great in dense fog. As people have already pointed out, if the fog is bad, drive slowly. Sometimes, I even put my flashers on so that someone speeding through the fog can see me better.

--Rich

Old 02-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
This question comes up from time to time and honestly, I do not understand why so many people push back on the person asking the question.
The fogs on this car suck, plain and simple.

If they were "driving lights", I would understand people coming back and saying that they like the way they look, or that they just like keeping them on.
Driving lights are meant to light the road ahead and to enhance the lighting down low.... plus they look cool.

Fog lights however, should be yellow or amber in color as the white/blue light reflects off the fog, making matters worse. But, let's get past the color issue for now.
These lights are almost completely non-functional. They're not bright, they do not light the road or the sides of the road like fog lights should, and when they're turned on, it's almost impossible to tell they're even on.
It's been foggy here in MA for 2 days now and I've given these a fair chance... they stink.

Of course, even if they were the correct brightness and color, they'd be less than 100% functional, mounted right next to the HID lights which must also be on at the same time.

I agree... we should be able to turn them on independently.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I also agree with Rich... I'm so happy with the car otherwise that I can look past the foglights. Its been almost a full year now and I still smile when I walk toward my G in a parking lot, knowing its all mine!

Maybe one of these days, I'll mount some independent fogs down low.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just change out your fogs to something other than OEM, problem solved, everyone's happy, and we can continue to post meaningless stuff in other threads.