Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh, I'm having reading problems today it seems. >_<

Old 02-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianV
Was that the ITB-045?
Yes Sir, and if it makes a difference when my clutch service was done they also changed my master cylinder, not sure how much that helped, but overall A+

Old 02-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 350Z had the same issue but I think it's normal.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:45 PM
My 04 coupe does it too.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:30 PM
hey guys
i have an 08 G35s 6mt..since the day one it had the same noise

took it to the dealer and the service manager told me that all G35 and G37 does the same thing. They even let me hear it on the G37 that was sitting on their lot.

so i'm assuming this is normal

Old 02-23-2008, 03:28 AM
Flywheel chatter

I started having same noise around Sept. 2007 with my 06 6MT at about 9000 mi. However, it only make noise after I drive the car for a while (say more than 30 mi). It happened more often in the summer than in winter (I live in Nor Cal). Last week (Saturday), I took it to the dealership in Pleasanton, CA, they told me it was the noise from the flying wheel and it's normal. I questioned that if it is, then why it did not happen since day one and why not when the car is "cold". The service consultant asked me to arrange another day (weekday) to let his service guy take a look and may check with the manufacturer if needed (that's why has to be weekday).

I will let you guys know the outcome.

It seems there is a recall on clutch and the noise is gone. I did not get the notice. Is it only for 2007 G35?

Old 02-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hear the same thing here that you described. I suppose it's normal. Still runs/shifts just fine.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
Yes Sir, and if it makes a difference when my clutch service was done they also changed my master cylinder, not sure how much that helped, but overall A+
Can you go into the reasoning of why they replaced the master cylinder as well? The entire recall ONLY touches the slave cylinder.

Originally Posted by pxzusa
It seems there is a recall on clutch and the noise is gone. I did not get the notice. Is it only for 2007 G35?
There is no recall on the clutch.

My G35 has done this since day one, and still does it. Temperature does not effect it. Sounds exactly like my 350z did, and it had over 65k miles without ANY issues when I sold it.

The ONLY thing that concerns me, is that other cars (Mustangs and BMWs both had TSBs relating) that have exibited similar issues eventually saw a TSB due to the throwout bearing prematurely failing. Considering countless manual transmission VQs show this [i]symptom[i], yet have shown zero failures due to it... one can only assume that this is merely the nature of our design.

Last edited by PhoenixINX; 02-23-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Sorry fellas, but that noise is not normal. A $40,000 car is not supposed to sound like it is falling apart because you are idling and the clutch is out. When the time comes for selling a 6mt, we'll be needing lots of luck to convince the buyer that this is normal!

I had this repaired last fall, and they said it had something to do with the dual mass flywheel. They replaced something (I forget what) and the noise went away, and more importantly, the clutch engagement felt normal again, well, at least for a few weeks.

I took my car in for the clutch slave recall last Friday. I also told them that the flywheel was clanking around again. Friday afternoon the service department called to tell me that my G was one of the ones that has a recall on the flywheel, and they are supposed to be replacing that today.

Hopefully, this will take care of it for good. And I really hope that the clutch engagement will finally feel normal again. And by normal, I mean not choppy!

Just because an overworked, underpaid service tech tells you that this noise is normal, doesn't mean that it is normal

Old 03-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
can you find out what the recall was?
what is the ITB number for it so the rest of us can check and see if our cars fall under it as well?

thanks

Originally Posted by jimmygiii
Sorry fellas, but that noise is not normal. A $40,000 car is not supposed to sound like it is falling apart because you are idling and the clutch is out. When the time comes for selling a 6mt, we'll be needing lots of luck to convince the buyer that this is normal!

I had this repaired last fall, and they said it had something to do with the dual mass flywheel. They replaced something (I forget what) and the noise went away, and more importantly, the clutch engagement felt normal again, well, at least for a few weeks.

I took my car in for the clutch slave recall last Friday. I also told them that the flywheel was clanking around again. Friday afternoon the service department called to tell me that my G was one of the ones that has a recall on the flywheel, and they are supposed to be replacing that today.

Hopefully, this will take care of it for good. And I really hope that the clutch engagement will finally feel normal again. And by normal, I mean not choppy!

Just because an overworked, underpaid service tech tells you that this noise is normal, doesn't mean that it is normal

Old 03-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmygiii

Drive a 335i, drive an E46 M3, drive a 545i, drive a Vette C5/C6, drive a 350Z, drive a TL, drive an S2000, all in 6MT. Guess what? They all have flywheel clatter. Every single MT I have driven or been in....has some form of throwout-bearing noise or flywheel clatter, EVERY SINGLE ONE. Sh*t, even the S2000, which has arguably the best and smoothest transmission in the world, even makes audible noises from the transmission. It is a nature of Manual transmissions and/or Dual-Mass Flywheels, not 40K Infiniti's

Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Sure, assuming I pick it's ready for me to pick up after work today, I'll ask some more info about it.

What's an ITB number?

Old 03-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Chilibowl - thanks for reminding me why I typically don't post anything on message boards!

I have driven an E36 M3, E46 M3 (with & without clutch) & a TL, and they might have had some flywheel chatter, but it was negligible. The flywheel chatter on my G is downright embarassing. I am not a mechanic, but it is definitely not the nature of manual transmissions to rattle like this. But thanks for trying to convince me to accept mediocrity, and just accept that a new car sounding like crap is normal.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:27 PM
I agree, the 350Z and Infiniti chatter is excessive compared to other cars. However, since I've had the recall done, I've been very happy.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:37 PM
i think the chatter noise is normal for all our cars.. i have it also.. even when i shut my cat off i hear the chattter noise.

BrianV you had a recall about the tranny????

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6 Speed Guys Chime in - When clutch is not depressed, significant rattles