G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Intelligent key question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my i key. I would pay 400 for sure. I left my keys in previous cars. So did my son. Well that is history now. Also when you go to the car you don't have to look for the key etc. Memo seats are programable to your set. All good things.

tg

Old 02-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Something that happened to me yesterday. I typically carry my i-key in the inside pocket of my jacket and my wife always carries hers in her purse. On Sunday, I wore a different jacket so my keys were in that one and not my regular jacket. We drove to work yesterday morning and I dropped my wife off at work. A few seconds after she got out of the car, I got the "no key" warning on the gauge cluster. I had to go after her and get her keys since mine were in my other jacket. Thanks to the warning, I didn't get left stranded with no keys. So yeah, I definitely love the i-key!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Pushkeys is standard on the new muranos now. And it's a nissan.. So im sure it's standard on the G...

Old 02-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Something that happened to me yesterday. I typically carry my i-key in the inside pocket of my jacket and my wife always carries hers in her purse. On Sunday, I wore a different jacket so my keys were in that one and not my regular jacket. We drove to work yesterday morning and I dropped my wife off at work. A few seconds after she got out of the car, I got the "no key" warning on the gauge cluster. I had to go after her and get her keys since mine were in my other jacket. Thanks to the warning, I didn't get left stranded with no keys. So yeah, I definitely love the i-key!
That's awesome.

tg

Old 02-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few seconds after she got out of the car, I got the "no key" warning on the gauge cluster. I had to go after her and get her keys since mine were in my other jacket. Thanks to the warning, I didn't get left stranded with no keys. So yeah, I definitely love the i-key!
This is good argument for why it should be a proximity key IMO. If you hadn't noticed the warning and drove away you'd be stranded at the first place you turned off the engine and your wife would have had no way to get it to you. What if you had dropped her off and driven away to a business meeting in another city? Or dropped her off at the airport and she flew away with the key in her bag?

Old 02-26-2008, 02:26 PM
The intelligent key came standard on all 07 G35 Sedans.
Thanks for the speedy reply One more thing i don't have to worry about when i'm looking for my new baby.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Infinitude
This is good argument for why it should be a proximity key IMO. If you hadn't noticed the warning and drove away you'd be stranded at the first place you turned off the engine and your wife would have had no way to get it to you. What if you had dropped her off and driven away to a business meeting in another city? Or dropped her off at the airport and she flew away with the key in her bag?
What if... what if... What if your wife got pissed at you and threw your conventional keys in the river?

It is a proximity key. As Shane pointed out, the car gave him ample warning that his wife was taking her fob away - I know mine sounds like R2D2 if I get out with the fob. If you want belt and suspenders, program the seat memories to the two fobs so the seat will tip you off that the car was started off your wife's fob instead of yours.

For what it's worth, i don't want the car to shut off every time I start it and step outside to scrape my windows and brush off the snow. I've used my "intelligent" key for two and a half years now - it hasn't outsmarted me yet, and I frankly don't expect it to be smarter than I am.
I just wish it would work on my house and my wife's car, too.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
^ Completely agree Craig.

Infinitude, you can throw out what if scenarios until you are blue in the face but what's the point? The fact remains that the i-key works as designed and can really save your azz in a number of scenarios.......not to mention the simple convenience of never needing to take it out of your pocket. I just have no idea what you expect from a key.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Wow, I decieded to spread my wings and see what all is on this site.... I spend countless hours in the Off Topic section...

I am shocked to see that you all have a whole section just for those sedans... WOW, people must really like them things...

hahhahaha, seriously I really like the 07+ Sedans...

Old 02-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Infinitude
You fail to realize that it was intelligent enough to give you a warning. If you don't notice the warning, it is your fault. Like I said in an earlier post: "Technology is what it is. But there's always human error that can take place (be it in the creation, production, or use of it)."

Again, I love my iKey.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Out of curiousity, is there anything that protects you while you're driving? If you don't need a key in the door and you can't "lock your keys in the car" because the doors will open when the key is close, what features are in place to prevent people from opening your door while you're in the car? Say for example...carjackers.

I occasionally will drive through some seedy areas of the city where knowing that my doors are locked and cannot be opened without a key gives me some (possibly false) security.

Or am i just way off base here, and the functionality of the key changes when the car is in gear?

Old 02-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by thanmad
Out of curiousity, is there anything that protects you while you're driving? If you don't need a key in the door and you can't "lock your keys in the car" because the doors will open when the key is close, what features are in place to prevent people from opening your door while you're in the car? Say for example...carjackers.

I occasionally will drive through some seedy areas of the city where knowing that my doors are locked and cannot be opened without a key gives me some (possibly false) security.

Or am i just way off base here, and the functionality of the key changes when the car is in gear?
The car knows if the key is in the car, outside the car near one of the door lock (within 30"), or in the trunk and changes its response accordingly.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 AM
^^^^^

Because our key is "inteligent"

Old 02-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by thanmad

You can lock the doors with the inside switches, you just can't lock it with the outside door buttons when the engine is off and the fob is inside, at least not easily. "Can't lock your keys in the car" is too broad a statement to be entirely true - there are several of ways to do it if you try hard enough.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by tg1234
^^^^^

Because our key is "inteligent"

That would be "intelligent".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intelligent key question