G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Sirius vs XM Radio ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius vs XM Radio ?

I have a 2007 G35X. It came with 3 month subsription to Sirius radio. When it expired I did not renew or extend it. On our 2007 Honda CRV (the wife's car ) a XM Radio was in the package. We just took the $77/ yr deal mentioned in other threads. My question : Can the dealer swap out the Sirius radio for an XM radio receiver so that I can expand my subsription to my G?? The Satelite radio stations are still talking Merger, but that not's certain. Also: Is there an upgrade to HD radio from Infiniti??

Old 02-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Sirius had a pretty good deal. A lifetime membership for 399. I dont know if they still have it. I find that preferable to the annual membership thing.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:51 AM
The dealer could do this, but it's not financially feasible for you to do it. It's going to cost you a minimum of $400 or so to purchase the factory XM interface and the cost of installation on top of that. You would be better off purchasing the separate plans unless you absolutely love XM that much better than Sirius. Then you must factor in the Merger prospects. The FCC has officially set a record for the longest time to make a decision on something that's just not that trivial. Keep in mind with the lifetime membership it means the lifetime of that particular receiver and not your lifetime. It may or may not be worth it. It'll take you roughly 31 months to break even. You are permitted to transfer the lifetime membership 3 times at a cost of $75 each occurrence to another receiver.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mantar
Sirius had a pretty good deal. A lifetime membership for 399. I dont know if they still have it. I find that preferable to the annual membership thing.
I took the lifetime membership too. If you plan on keeping it for more then a few years it makes sense.

For the OP, check out Grubbs, they should have what you need to swap out the receiver. Costs $200, and takes about 20 minutes to do yourself. Just mount the antenna on the back deck next to a speaker and you are good to go.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by bfranks
I took the lifetime membership too. If you plan on keeping it for more then a few years it makes sense.

For the OP, check out Grubbs, they should have what you need to swap out the receiver. Costs $200, and takes about 20 minutes to do yourself. Just mount the antenna on the back deck next to a speaker and you are good to go.
20 minutes? Maybe if you install it ghetto style.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:47 PM
You remove the trunk liner, unplug the old receiver, plug in the new one, and run an antenna cable through one of the many openings to the top deck. That's all there is to it. I get full satellite signal with 20% tint, so no reason to run it to the outside and have another antenna on your roof. If you want to then I'd say an hour tops...that's what it took me to do it on my 05 when I put the antenna on the roof.

But if you want to pay someone $100 bucks to do it....go for it.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Just to be a little more detailed. It's located under the rear deck on the right hand side of the trunk (facing the trunk). There are 4 plastic pop rivets and some velcro holding that piece in place. That's all you need to remove, unless the dealer relocated the receiver when they installed it.

Attached Thumbnails Sirius vs XM Radio ?-g35_sat.jpg  

Last edited by bfranks; 02-23-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by bfranks

So you have an 08 WITH navigation and you are using Sirius through your factory radio?

Old 02-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by stardust
So you have an 08 WITH navigation and you are using Sirius through your factory radio?
No. That was the original plan, but I wasn't able to locate the harness on my first attempt. By the time someone on the myg37 forums convinced me that it could be done (see link in previous post), I had already mounted an aftermarket unit in my ashtray. And to be honest, I kind of like having both Sirius and XM, so I sent the receiver back to Grubbs.

The OP obviously either doesn't have Nav, or does and that dealer already located the harness and installed the Sirius receiver. Either way, it should be a quick swap.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Hmm....wrong topic......

Here is the link to the myg37 forums.

Pics

Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Is the xm tuner in the same location if you have nav.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by rando comando
Is the xm tuner in the same location if you have nav.
Nope. The sat receiver in cars with nav is built into the main AV Controller. The plug that you are looking for is under the rear deck and connects to the CD changer.

See this post.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks a bunch. The pics were helpful. I will be trying to find a tuner soon.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Is there no way to reuse the existing XM antena which is already mounted?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Yes, but it requires a lot of work. Since the OEM antenna is run to the main AV controller, you will need to run a new cable from the Sirius receiver under the headliner and to the antenna. You can either cut and splice the existing antenna cable to the new cable, or solder a new connector onto the cable you ran and plug it into the OEM antenna. In my opinion, it's not really worth the effort unless you have reception issues due to ceramic tint / etc.

The above only applies to cars with Nav. None nav cars just need to unplug the antenna from the old receiver (XM) and plug it into the new receiver (Sirius).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sirius vs XM Radio ?