G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

How do you afford the Mods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, in my case, I'm modding in stages. Start with the small things (i.e. lights, lowering kit, custom grille, etc). Then move up from there (i.e. body kit, wheels, exhaust, etc.). I did the small things first, then recently ordered wheels (3550). However, I did this prior to moving into my new house my wife and I had built: https://g35driver.com/forums/media-share-v36-sedan/205158-custom-grille.html. Stages my friend, stages. Oh yeah, a good job helps!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well young'ins. let me school ya.
got out of HS at 18 and hit the workforce and got married. I have everything i could want. The wife was controlling the funds up until a year ago. Guess what? I finally took over before the bank did. Seperated our accounts, consolidated debts, and had bills proportioned by percentage.

We have equal percentage payments and I end up with more money due to bringing in more money. My wife and I buy everything based upon the cash in the accounts. I really see the perspective of the guys talking about savings after the fact.

BUT!!!! We have about 2 more years of paying of credit bills she ran up. After that there will be a surplus of income at the amount of 1200/mo. Thats alot in Tennessee terms.

back to the topic, i afford mine by making decent money in a decent place. I could of had everything i wanted taken care of 15months ago when i bought the car if it wasn't for the wife.

take care of your money gentlemen. ALWAYS plan a few months-years ahead. I would like to add a "new car fund" to my portfolio once i pay off the wifes car. that could net me a GTR in 5 years!

Last edited by IvoryPearl07G; 02-27-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mods arent going to break you if you know how to save for them...or if you have credit cards =)

I make a decent amount of income and i enjoy my car..there for i spend money on it. Its like asking people who buy nice watches or nice clothing...its all relative. If you enjoy it and you have extra cash for it youll spend it thats just the way it works.

Look at it like this;

you get a fully loaded G35 s for about 38k...im talking every option!
then you spend 1 g on exhaust 500 to lower it 2500 on wheels and lets say 100 on bat overlays total cost is

thats cheaper than a is350 fully loaded and way cheaper than a 335 fully loaded

and your car looks 100x better then those cars in stock form. and ultimately you might have paid less.

IMO a modded G35S takes a major dump on any 335,IS350,TL TYPE S, CT-S,C350, in fact a stock G35 S takes a dump on all those cars

Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
OT work+ working 10+ hr days when offered. when i was in school i worked 16 hr days. everyone here at my new job asks me how i can afford a great car and they dont understand it. But when the boss asks if anyone would like to work extra time and im the only one left on my team here. so that explains it.

oohh and p.s. drug money meaning the money that i can spend on crack i spend on my G, springs eibach, 19" deep dish, hp tints, and long tube addition to my stillen intake all comming soon by april nice 5k addition from my bank acct.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by suby01
everyone here at my new job asks me how i can afford a great car and they dont understand it. But when the boss asks if anyone would like to work extra time and im the only one left on my team here. so that explains it.
+2 on that. Ive been at my current job for 5 years now. Started my first year of college, just graduated, and in the meantime paying off some bills. Im a manager of 3 different stores all owned by the same person, so im always going from store to store. I dont even have my G yet, but i do have 2 other cars that i drive regularly. A lot of regulars see me and at first thought i was the owner because not many 24 year olds fresh out of college have one nice vehicle much less two and currently looking at a G35 haha. Ive had people ask me how much im making, how can they get a job with me. I just tell people i make enough to get me by and im smart with my money. My employees, and my regular customers know how i do it though when im working 8 days a week,, sometimes from open to close.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My secrets of success (I'm 26) in order of priority:
- Train your girlfriend/wife on how/where to spend. Save on high restaurant and take out bills and emphasize home cooking and less clothes shopping. A master at this will have the wife asking you permission to get her hair done or buy a new blouse. Be a man!
- A good paying job(s) really help obviously, but only get you to your goal quicker. A less paying job with good savings will get you a G just as well. Have a side business to write stuff off including a G (income tax maneouvring) and work out a way to save but still enjoy life in the meantime.
- And someone else said it, buy a car knowing you have enough to buy it in cash. THAT is what you can afford. If you do payments for whatever reason, make sure your interest is less than what you'd get at the bank for a savings. (infiniti 1.9%). This can alter based on your business...

And live by these words:
WORK NOW...PLAY LATER!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by UltimateGee27
IMO a modded G35S takes a major dump on any 335,IS350,TL TYPE S, CT-S,C350, in fact a stock G35 S takes a dump on all those cars
I seriously couldn't have said it better. Well put!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:56 PM
ckp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i own my own business. thus am able to write off all my cars, gas, etc.. Also I pay in cash for cars unless i am getting a killer finance rate. only buy stuff you can afford, its not that hard to save money. I just dont understand how people get into credit card debt. Like if you have 2000 dollars in the bank, what makes you think you can magically afford a 3,000 dollar watch or something real expensive? There is no magic bank fairy who randomly deposits large amounts of money into your bank account so you can afford that extra luxury. Just be smart, and save...you will be able to afford a lot of things. Right now I could easily afford some ridiculous cars but i choose not to right now since i am still young, and save that money and buy that later down the road.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ
Find a rich wife
Rich Wives FTW

Old 02-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Rich Parents... Spoiled...

Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
being a life long man-*****.
next question

Old 02-27-2008, 03:30 PM
personally i won't spend money on mods because i'm saving toward a new car

Old 02-27-2008, 11:32 PM
These answer don't amaze me in the least bit. I've always known most people have more "credit" than come sense. For those of you who think you are "going to die tomorrow - so why not spend today?", you probably won't, then what? This is the reason so many people rely on the government for their retirement. For goodness sake exercise a bit of self control. Buy what you can afford to pay cash for and try to save a few pennies. Using a student loan and paying for 30 years on a set of wheels, wow, what more can I say, your going to do it anyway. Knock yourself out.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by EWG35
It's called, not buying a car that you cannot afford. I paid off my '07 G sedan in January. I've been told for a long time not to buy any car you cannot afford to pay cash for. Most people are slaves to their car loans. Pay off all of your debt and you'll be amazed at what you can afford.

The average car loan in America is $385 per month. If you never had a car loan, paying cash and invested that $385 every month in an average mutual fund earning 8% per year you'll have nearly $4,000,000.00 in 40 years, for just the amount of a small car payment! That seems crazy but it's true.

Oh, and I almost forgot I'm married with two sons and a 15 year mortgage, half paid off after 5.5 years. Saving, not spending is it the key to wealth. I'm thinking about buying I-forged wheels, just waiting to find the perfect wheel. Oh and of course I will only pay cash.

dont always work though, with the current economy u may not be getting that 8% u have a better chance currently throwing it in 3month cds yielding a mizley 4%. i shoulda through all my money in a cd when they were yielding 7.25-7.75%(dont remember) for 3months.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:31 PM
how about have great ambition and knowledge...become any kind of engineer and invent something! put your name on a patent and you can buy 10,000 dollar pimpstar LED wheels!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you afford the Mods?