G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

How does the G handle...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after the first winter with my g, i have to say it's holding up pretty well, and i think it'll survive what you're describing, but i would suggest perhaps the smallest rims and tallest tires you can fit, that way the tires will take more of the abuse (handling at speed won't be great though).

but yeah, maybe another car/option, or just get a beater for the trips to the cottage, an old van or truck/suv, (actually, i might suggest an old vic, supsension's tough as nails on those things, and you can easily fit all your cottaging stuff in the trunk, (know that from experience, my vic and marquis had climbed their fair share of mountains).)

Old 03-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
depends how many drinks you have had

Old 03-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the responces everyone. I will probably use another car for cottage trips and get a g35x in april.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:30 PM
I am considering getting a G35x sports versus a BMW 335. In a BMW forum thread someone said the "chassis and motor are essentially the same among the 350Z, the G35/G37, the M35/M45 and the EX and FX." I don't plan to off road a G35x sports - I just plan to drive it on coastal New England roads which with all our potholes is practically the same thing or at least as bad as driving on gravel roads.

One of the reasons I am considering a G35x sports over a 335 is so I don't have to swerve to avoid every little 1/2 inch pothole.

The max profile tires I could put on a 335xi coupe are 45's. Won't the 50 or 55's on the Infiniti be OK?

Old 03-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy the EX it is not large and really really a good Crossover.

tg

Old 03-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Does the Ex have the same chassis / suspension as the G35?

Old 03-07-2008, 05:02 PM
I dont know if you can say any of the infinities have the "same" chassis, although they all use a modified FM (Front Midship) RWD platform. THey are modified for each car, for example the M's chassis is 80% modified. THe EX is a shortened version, etc.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:59 AM
i have a g35 x and a fx 35. i personally think that the g35 drives better in the winter, although maybe in less deep snow. i live in toronto, which is pretty close to ottawa and have driven it during some of the worst snow storms, and it is a BEAST! i am always going around cars, even up hill who are stuck in the snow or on ice. i even put my foot to the floor on a side street when it was snowy and icy and after a second it took off. this is also on stock rims and tires. it would be twice as good with snow tires. the all wheel drive system in this thing is so amazing. it drives way better than a 335xi with snow tires. i was driving one the other day and it was slipping like crazy. i am sure that the g35 is perfect for you, trust me it can handle canadian winters outside, and dont get a worse car just to go to your cottage. although the ex is a nice alternative as it is described as a g35 wagon and has that sick around view monitoring. thinking about selling the fx for an ex, or wait for the 09 fx which is supposed to be an all new redesign.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:43 AM
I ordered a 335xi coupe and it is due to be delivery shortly, but I am having pre-buyer's remorse.

I am curious about your experience with the 335xi in snow. Do you know if it had high performance tires, or all seasons. I would have expected the performance in the snow to be about the same. I don't understand why it would not be.

I grew up in Maine on RWD's, but lately have had the ubiquitous FWD type. I never really had any problems in snow. But I bought an Outback in October and AWD is so much better.

Tires make a big difference. Others have said the less sticky, smoother tread high performance ones do not work well in snow even on AWD's so you really have to have winter tires if you have those.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I bought a G35S because in my part in VA it rarely snows; however, the handling is a Beast....

Old 03-08-2008, 06:29 PM
I was driving an 07 335xi sedan in canadian winters with snow sport tires. i think the tires were more for cold weather performance than thrashing through the snow, but the last time i drove it, i could turn a corner, no matter how slow, and it almost slipped all the way to the curb. it a straight line it still has decent acceleration with some wheel spin, but be sure you know how to drift if you plan on taking an icy corner any faster than a crawl

ps. did you get navigation? it is so damn confusing that i had some random route on for a half hour before i could figure out how to turn it off. it is a much better car without that system!

Old 03-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Best bet is to go with the G coupe, drop it like its hot and throw some 20's on it with some real low pros. LOL. That will get u there with ease.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:26 PM
if i can drive just fine in the bombed out streets of downtown LA and hollywood (yes they're that bad, probably worse), then you'll be fine with a g35. the car doesn't really become unsettled until you're damn near offroading. traction control will make up for most of your lacks in driving skill or judgment as well.

that said, given your conditions you should buy an older toyota pickup. top gear tried to kill one and couldn't...even after blowing up the building atop which said pickup was perched.

seriously, toyota pickup. god declares it a blaspheme and when satan wakes up in a cold sweat from a nightmare, that's what he was dreaming about. you can't kill them.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I can't get past the fact that the new BMWs look like Honda Civics.
The G on the other hand... she's perrrrrty.

I think my G35x on Blizzaks is actually better than the wife's 06 Acura MDX in the snow.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I can't get past the fact that the new BMWs look like Honda Civics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How does the G handle...