G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35 Sedan: Do you have to slam your trunk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trunks on Gs with spoilers are easier to close. It's funny because whenever I'm showing a customer a G without a spoiler (most of them don't have one) I must look all weak sauce and retarded when I come up short while trying to close the trunk as I'm used to using less force on my Sedan which does have the rear spoiler.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
What's the issue here??
The issue is it's a $35,000 car and trunk latching system is more like a Yugo than what we've come to expect from a luxury sedan.

Either mine is getting a little better with time or my forearm strength is increasing from all the exercise of firm closing of the trunk, I don't know. . .

The side benefit of this annoyance is that it's saving me money by not having to go to the gym.

Last edited by onthebeam; 03-15-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
You don't have to practice anything. This 'technique' is just for the many who hate to even put their finger prints on the chrome. If you're less concerned about that you can just put your hand on the top of the trunk and push down just like any other car.
^^^ x2

Old 03-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by onthebeam
The issue is it's a $35,000 car and trunk latching system is more like a Yugo than what we've come to expect from a luxury sedan.

Either mine is getting a little better with time or my forearm strength is increasing from all the exercise of firm closing of the trunk, I don't know. . .

The side benefit of this annoyance is that it's saving me money by not having to go to the gym.
I would think having to put a little more pressure on your trunk to close it would make it feel more like a luxury sport sedan then a yugo. I had a 05 Nissan Maxima fully loaded and the trunk was so loose when I closed it it felt cheap. I like the way the trunk closes.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Solid71
I like the way the trunk closes.
I don't but love the way the doors close.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the great tip! I didn't know the truck 'hole' existed. No more touching the paint or chrome spoiler!
_________
2008 G35 journey5at ivory/stone+prem&sportpkg.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
no issues here either... seems normalso far.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Admit it....slamming the trunk is not normal

I too have a 2007 Sedan and I feel I have to slam it really hard for it to shut. Ok I understands the tips provide in this thread and appreciate the humor espcially the guy who mentioned that the solution is to find a weight-challenged chick to help you...this is not normal in my opinion....it sucks to be honest ! Thanks for the "solutions" but it is not a good quality in such a nice car....not happy with it and when I take it to the dealer in a few months for service I will see if they can do anything about it....I assumed it was my car only due to the weirdness of the issue--I could not beleive that this is "normal" so I assumed it was my car...the thought that using the handle inside to slam the trunk to avoid chrome smudges is acceptable is ridiculous IMHO. Oh well....

Thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 01:30 PM
If I slam mine too hard it doesn't latch and bounces open. Normal pressure works fine though.

Opening it is stupid. With hands full there is no easy place to push to make it open.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Trunk handles and extra contours, here and there, for grabbing onto would just mess with the beautiful lines of the G. Save those features for SUVs. I agree that it should't be an issue on an entry level luxury sports vehicle. It shouldn't be an issue on any vehicle but sometimes things on new vehicles just don't work right. So some of you have trunks which do not close with reasonable force. It may be a common problem but Infiniti should not be calling it 'Normal'. As you notice in this thread it is not the case for all G owners. Infiniti should adjust, repair, or replace, as necessary, under warranty for those with the problem. If it where a car door out of alignment they would fix it so why not a trunk?

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 03-25-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Duk
still need answers

sorry to bring this thread back, but i'm not sure if it was solved.

my '08 G35 sedan trunk is definitely harder to close than the '12 G37 models. whenever i got a loaner car from the dealers, the '12 g37 trunks were SO much easier (and smoother) to close. I asked the dealer, and they say nothings wrong with mine. :/

i owned it almost a year (bought used), and i got alot better at it, but still struggle to close it in one try every so often (whether it's using the chrome lip or the handle inside). and thats annoying cuz they just barely pop open so i have to lift open by the thin edge of the trunk lid all the way open to build enough momentum to "slam" it so it doesnt pop up again.

there was a solution with some silicone grease in the earlier posts. did that help? what is it and where can i buy it?
any other solutions?
thanks.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
maybe there are fine adjustable that can be done?

my '08 trunk is easier to close than the G25 / G37 loaners from the dealer

Old 04-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Duk
will have to look into that! thanks!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same thing too. I told my wife, "Don't slam the trunk!" She thinks I am crazy and still does it. OOUCH that hurts! And because of this excessive force, the paint came off right at the edge of the corner where the trunk meets the turn signal lights. The corner is not touching or rubbing against anything. I only notice it when I see rust at that spot.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I think the issue has to do with the articulation of the hinge mechanism. The trunk is pretty narrow, so to make it open as wide as possible to put larger items in, they needed the lid to swing up and away as much as possible. TO do this they used a hinge that, for lack of a better description, sort of goes "over center" if you will; moving both upward and backward. As a consequence, it is great for getting out of the way as much as possible, but when closing it, we tend to want to just push down on it with a single effort. This typically gets it "over center" again, but is not enough to go the extra distance to complete its latching. If you just learn to make your closing effort more of a two step operation, you'll find you get better results. I usually pull it a little toward me at the top (to get it "over center") and then give it the normal push down to close it; works every time.

The following users liked this post:
Duk (04-29-2013)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Sedan: Do you have to slam your trunk?