G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Anyone else have trouble pumping gas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else have trouble pumping gas?

Maybe it's just me or my car, but sometimes when I need to put gas in the car, the gas pump will not allow me to continue putting gas. Ex; my car will need about 10 gallons, I get around six or seven gallons, the gas pump will start shutting off like if the gas tank was full. Anyone else had this problem?

Old 03-16-2008, 05:51 PM
This happened to me at least 3 times at one particular gas station. Even if you moved the nozzle or retried 5 more times, the pump would just keep shutting off with at least 5 gallons to go. It's never happened anywhere else, so I just avoid that place. I figured it had to do with the pumps, not the car.

Still kinda weird though, I would've thought the design of pump shut-off mechanisms would be pretty much figured out by now...

Old 03-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
This was an issue with some 2003-2004 coupes. There was a TSB on this, where they replaced the filler tube going into the tank.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:26 PM
have this problem with my 2007, i jsut pull the nozzle half way out and its all good!

Old 03-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
i have thge same problem..but it only happends in one particular pump!!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:16 PM
same **** with mine at this particular shells gas station. didn't matter how many times i re-angled the nozzle, same crap. but it doesn't happen to me all that much anymore. my friend told me that a service manager told him that if this happens all the time at multiple places, it means that something is wrong with the tank and they'll have to replace it.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a valve if it happenes all the time they have to replace it. If it is only happening at one station then try not to pump there.

tg

Old 03-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by NewGuyG35
Maybe it's just me or my car, but sometimes when I need to put gas in the car, the gas pump will not allow me to continue putting gas. Ex; my car will need about 10 gallons, I get around six or seven gallons, the gas pump will start shutting off like if the gas tank was full. Anyone else had this problem?
Try rotating the pump handle so that the control lever is now "on top" (rather than below the gas tank opening) -so essentially put the nozzle in normally and then rotate it 180 degrees.

I've read here that it has worked before on troublesome pumps like what you describe here.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:15 AM
That has happened to me also but in my case it definitely isn't due to a malfunction of the car. Around here some of the gas stations put a limit on the amount of gas you can get, usually $50s worth. After I've pumped $50s worth of gas the pump cuts off and you can't get anymore. I think you can probably get around that though by starting a new transaction with a different credit/debit card.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
This happened to me several times.... few months ago. Now it seems to be okay again...

Old 03-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ
That has happened to me also but in my case it definitely isn't due to a malfunction of the car. Around here some of the gas stations put a limit on the amount of gas you can get, usually $50s worth. After I've pumped $50s worth of gas the pump cuts off and you can't get anymore. I think you can probably get around that though by starting a new transaction with a different credit/debit card.
Given where gas prices are headed, $50 would only buy me enough to fill up my lawn tractor a few times

Old 03-18-2008, 12:07 PM
I think it is stopping so it can run your credit report.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:30 PM
this happens to me too, i thought it was just the pump, but i know how a pump acts when there inst much gas left in the underground tank, so i thought it was either a malfunction with my car or the pump itself. good to see i'm not the only one in the same boat

Old 03-18-2008, 01:39 PM
One of the two fuel sending units has gone bad. Dealer told me it was because I ran the car on empty for too long. Covered under warranty. Take it back to the dealer and they'll replace it for you.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by MrJohnTan
One of the two fuel sending units has gone bad. Dealer told me it was because I ran the car on empty for too long. Covered under warranty. Take it back to the dealer and they'll replace it for you.
How do you manage to run the car on empty ??
please tell me -- I could save a whole lot on gas bills

j/k

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have trouble pumping gas?