G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Help!! whether to buy g35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Lots of room in the back seat IMO.......but don't listen to us or members on AZ......test them both out for yourself and see.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always wondered why people make such a big deal about Acura TL, I test drove that car once and never looked back. The leather seats were very hard and the thing is due for renewal this year anyway. And can someone answer this

BMW is for perfomance
Mercedes is for luxury
Lexus is for luxury
Infiniti is for perfomance

What the hell is Acura for???????????

Old 03-22-2008, 10:57 AM
I just traded my modded 2003 TL-S for a 2008 G35X-S last week. My best decision ever! Once you drive a G, u'll understand. Best bang for the buck for performance and design, inside and out. Don't get me wrong, I loved my TL-S but I was tired of the tranny issues and front wheel drive. I test drove the 2007-TL-S and it was falling behind on the power department. The G is a better car all around. Paid $36,925 before taxes and title. Money well spent.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Yea, I drove an '07 TL-S before I decided on my '07 G35x. The TL is a nice car, well laid out inside with a good sound system and a little more roomy than the G. But while test driving it, I punched it going around an exit ramp and felt that torque steer -- although I will say Acura does a better job than anyone in minimizing it. I had that feeling you get with front-wheel drive cars that the rear end is very light.

I really was leaning toward the Acura at first, but driving the G sold me hands down. But I'll say that I think Acura succeeds a little better in many of the style elements and the TL is a very polished product and very good looking car.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:32 PM
thanks everyone. i'm going to go test drive both. BTW, hows the audio in g35? Also are there any recalls or any problems i should know about?
thanks

Old 03-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
I'm not sure if you mentioned what the climate is like where you live. Do you have any snow or rainy seasons? The awd X will out perform the TL ( and most cars) hands down in slippery road conditions. That is a big reason I took the X over the S. To bad I didn't wait a year. I could have had the best of both worlds in the XS.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 03-22-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW, we just bought (yesterday) a G35X Sport with sport, premium, mud guards, trunk net for roughly $100 over invoice. Easy deal. I had another dealer want $2700 more OTD, which I had to laugh at... I even gave this dealer a last chance to match the deal since I test drove the car 3 times with the guy and didn't get a reply (all done via e-mail) when I told him what offer I had.

I test drove the Acura TL-S and the RL. TL-S being FWD didn't appeal to me, since you cannot put all that power to the ground through the front wheels only.. So it boiled down to the RL or the G. That being said, with 1.9-2.9%, it was a no brainer for us...

Old 03-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Congrats!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Thx! I know it will be pretty fun!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by lldknyll26
Currently I'm driving the 2nd gen. acura 3.2tl type-s . I'm thinking of getting a new car and i came down to two cars: 08 acura tl type s or g35x with sport package. I love the g35x design, its awd, and its very fast. The only thing stopping me from buying a g35x is that its very small. I haven't seen the interior in person but from what i heard, the back seat has no room. My 2nd gen. tl type-s is pretty roomie. How spacious is the rear of g35x? Is it about the same size as my current tl?
I'm also considering the 08 tl type s. I love the exhaust and the rim. Plus the rear seat has more room than g35x (from what i hearD). However, I've been hearing that the acura tl type s still has transmission problems. My current tl had to change its transmission twice. I have hard time trusting acura honda when it comes to transmission. Does g35x have any kind of major problems? Also what's the best deal i can get for g35x as of right. I know i should be asking this to my dealer but i'm just curious as to how much you guys paid for your g35x.

Thanks
Oops. Sorry I didn't answer your question with my first post. I'm coming from a 96 Honda Accord. It's a little bigger than my 96. I'm about 5 ft 8 inches and north of 200lbs (not by much but enough) . The rear seat isn't what I'd call roomy but it's comfortable..

We paid $100 over invoice, after taking into account the $500 rebate...

Like other's have posted, the best is to go drive with your family, assuming you're married with your significant other half in the seat behind the driver. Then you switch positions then you have a good point of view....

Old 03-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Acura has gone way downhill. To say that a TL or TL Type S can out dance a G35 is probably one of the funniest things I've ever heard. The TL can't compare to the G35 in any way, shape, or form. True you can get crazy incentives on TL's because the current body style is going out in favor of a very bland, boring new generation. Same goes with the TSX. Acura and Honda have been going out of their way lately to build some boring/ugly looking cars.

Just drive both, you'll see what we mean. Its just no comparison. I don't even see the two cars in the same league.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:02 PM
I have owned a 07 TL-S and a 08 G35X (Premium/Nav). Here's my two cents:

Driving/Handling Performance
G35X wins hands down. Torque steer and wheel spin were pretty excessive in the Type-S. The downshift rev-matching on the G35X is great for spirited driving, although I haven't had much opportunity to use it, as I just recently got out of break-in.

Cabin Room
The TL wins this one hands down. I don't care what the numbers say, the back seat in the G35X is way smaller. The TL has adjustable headrests in the back, which is kinda nice. If you plan on consistently having more than 2 adults in the car (at least for long periods of time), the TL should probably be your choice. The TL had more room up front as well, but it's not nearly as noticeable as the back. The G35x will lift up the steering wheel and/or slide back the seat when you get out/in, while the TL will not. I really like this feature.

Stereo
The G35 stereo sounds much better than the TL stereo. The TL has the DVD audio and Dolby Surround System, but I was not impressed by either. Both sound great, but having the subs in the front on the G35 makes it sound a lot better. The iPod integration is awesome on the G35. Only complaint is that I have a crapload of music, so it takes forever to scroll through. Acura claims to be making a replacement for their failed Music-Link system, but nothing posted yet. Only real complaints about the G35 stereo is that the changer doesn't do MP3, and you can't copy MP3 onto the internal hard drive.

Navigation
Still a little torn on this one. The navigation system is much more integrated with the vehicle on the G35. I did find the interface for finding POIs a little more intuitive on the TL, but it took a while. The G35 offers "Birdview" or "Map View", which is great. The TL does not. The G35 will let you have guidance info and music info on at the same time, while the TL will not. I just get the feeling that the Nav/Stereo console was much better integrated with itself and the car on the G35. Unfortunately, the G35 limits what you can do while driving, although you can still speak in a street address or find gas/food/etc on the way. The TL would not let you speak in an address. The nav system in the G35 responds MUCH faster, due to the fact that it is on a HD and not a DVD.

Bluetooth
The voice quality is about the same on the two. The system is MUCH easier to use and more robust on the G35x. It integrates into the nav/stero console, whereas the TL only has voice control and only uses the small status screen in the instrument cluster.

TPMS
This may sound stupid, but I really miss being able to see what my tire pressures actually were on the TL. Not a deal breaker, though.

Seats
The passenger seat in the G35 is an 8-way whereas the one in the TL is a six way. I didn't really care, though. The heated seats are pretty similar, although I think they work a little better in the G.

External
I think the TL looks way better externally. A lot of people think differently, but it's just my opinion. I LOVED the Kinetic Blue Pearl paint on my TL. I had to settle for Blue Slate on the G35X. Trunk seems much bigger on the TL. I know for sure that the lid is way bigger. The fog lights on the G are built into the main headlight enclosure, whereas they are separate on the TL. I personally like the TL ones better.

Windows
All four windows on the G have Auto up/down, while only the front 2 do on the TL. You can use the key to close/open the front 2 on the G, while the TL does all 4 and the moonroof. Same thing on the remote for both, but it only does down.

Gas Mileage
I get about the same in the city. The TL was much better on the freeway. Both cars require 91 octane. The Tl had a 17 gallon tank, while the G has a 20. You can monitor mileage on the center console and instrument cluster on the G, whereas only on the instrument cluster on the TL.

Overall
The TL is more of a family-oriented luxury car. The G is more of a sport-oriented luxury car. If they had an AWD TL, I probably would have got it, as I was happy with the experience I had with Acura.

As to how I had both, I was t-boned in the TL and it was totaled. Went for the G35x as a replacement. Got it for a little above $38,100 OTD. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by jawz0414
TPMS
This may sound stupid, but I really miss being able to see what my tire pressures actually were on the TL. Not a deal breaker, though.
Actually I think this is a pretty big deal.

Last year I took a 1300 mile trip (round trip)... And just about 45 miles away, on a Sunday, while driving 65-70 mph, my single TPMS light came on. Oh great - so I slow down a little and stop at the next interstate gas station. One tire was kinda low, but I checked all tires - and probably put a bit more air in there than I needed.

Get going down the road again - and half an hour later the darn thing comes back on... So I drive to the next gas stop - check my pressure again, everything looks ok... Took a little air out of one that was a bit high in case that was the problem.

I start wondering if over-inflation sets them off, as maybe when I go faster than 65 mph, the tire gets hot - the pressure goes up, and I get the alarm.

Only happens when I've been traveling at higher speed for 30 mins or so.

Anyway - I buy a replacement digital pressure gauge at my destination as my old one wasn't working... Everyhing looks good... Well I still have the problem for the remainder of the trip.

And because the damn thing not only doesn't tell me any pressures on the console, but also doesn't tell me which tire is the problem - there was no way to really isolate the problem to a specific tire. It was very annoying.

Anyway - forgive my frustration - but when my friend's 2006 Chevy tells him the pressure in each of his four tires, I think it is kind of crazy that I have to guess.

In the end it was a defective TPMS sensor, and was replaced under warranty.

I wouldn't have been nearly as frustrated if this happened "in town" on a weekday - but since it only happened at higher speed for a longer period of time, it only occurred when I was going out of town... At a very inconvenient time.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Jaw... good comparo.
I agree on most points... I also have an Acura in the family, our 06 MDX.
I used to love the navi in the Acura and considered best in the market, but the Infiniti is more user friendly.
I like that the Acura didn't lock out when driving, handy on road trips, searching for food while on the highway, but I hate little things about the Acura system. Something as simple as changing from Day to Night on the screen is a 15 button journey into menu hell.... stupid design.

I test drove 6-7 TLs including the Type-S.
Once I drove the G, there was no decision left to be made.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:13 AM
Having previously owned a 2005 TL I can tell you that the G35X is light years ahead of the TL and the TL-S. I was not even in the market for the G35X when we stumbled upon it. And I can tell you it is one of the few cars that completely sold me on the test drive. I had to have it.

When I bought the TL in '05 I probably drove a half dozen of them over a 1 month period before finally talking myself into buying one. I had tired of the '02 Lexus ES300 we had and wanted somthing more sporty. Quite frankly the only thing that blew me away with the TL was the stereo and Nav.
I truly believe Acura expends alot of effort to give you the latest bells and whistles but expends very little effort on what makes a great sports sedan. The TL in my opinion is a glorified Accord, much like the Lexus ES is a glorified Camry.
The G35 stands on it's own as a bonafide sports sedan with few worthy competitors outside the BMW 335.

From a quality standpoint the G35 is way ahead of the TL also. I had many issues with my TL. The dash faded, the headliner sagged, there was a cacophony of rattles. The rear bumper color didn't match the rest of the car. These problems are common and listed on the Acura forums as such.

I bought my 2007 G35X 2 weeks ago, a used car with 20,000 miles and it is as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar. The only issue I have is the chrome grill seems to chip easy. That being the only problem is amazing for a 1st year production car. The fact that it is built in Japan is the biggest reason I believe. I now own 3 Japan built cars: an '02 Toyota 4Runner, an '06 Honda S2000 and the G35X. All three are darn near flawless.

BTW, I also owned a 2000 Acura CL Type S that lost its tranny at 24,000 miles. To hear that Acura still hasn't fixed the problem after 8 years should give you pause to consider anything but an Acura.

The performance of the G35X is absolutly remarkable for a 3700lb car. The handling also blows the TL away. Before finding the G35 I drove an Acura RL with so-called "Super Handling" all wheel drive and compared to the G35X it is a joke. The RL does not beg to be driven, nor does the TL BUT the G35X dares you to take it to the limit every time you get behind the wheel.

Don't buy the TL. If you are thinking of something besides a G35X look at a BMW or even the new CTS. The TL will be redesigned and obsolete in a month or 2 and rumor is it will be available with the SHAWD from the RL but if my '05 still had quality issues after 2 years of production how many issues with the new TL have?

Last edited by dano100; 04-15-2008 at 01:23 AM.