G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08
View Poll Results: How often do you use your AT manual mode?
Never tried it, just shift it to D
4.02%
Tried it a couple times, but just too easy to drive in D
17.09%
Use it only on hills, etc when not wanting trans to hunt for gears
5.53%
Use it only when I want to get a bit wild (usually alone)
44.72%
Use it in town most of the time
2.51%
Use it most of the time
10.05%
Use it often and with VDC off (lunatic fringe)
6.53%
Use it all the time
9.55%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

AutoTransOwnners~How often do you use Manual Mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use it 60/40 when i dont feel lazy. I use it wen getting of the ramp onto the highway and quickly pass by other cars wen they're driving like grandma's....rarely use it in the city now cuz i realized my mpg miles was goin slightyly down probably b/c sometimes i like to punch it at random times wen i see a nice car that's worthy enough to have a fun little race w/ =p 3rd gear is a BEAST!!

Last edited by VenomGx; 03-31-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I rarely used to switch to manual, now I can't drive around town in "just" drive, so much more fun to keep it around 4k just ready to launch at any moment Also a bit more fun to roast a Mustang GT from light to light
yeah, me too. It's horrible on gas millage though lol. I use it pretty extensively now that I has the paddles.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm curious about those who use it all the time. Why didn't you just get 6MT? Plenty of good reasons I'm sure...just wondering.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:59 PM
Two main reasons, 1) I bought used, and 6MT sedans are hard to come by in this area, I have only seen one used one on the Infiniti lot since I bought mine. 2) On the very rare occasion my girl drives mine, let's just say, I have seen her drive a stick, not pretty.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by gottaGnow
I'm curious about those who use it all the time. Why didn't you just get 6MT? Plenty of good reasons I'm sure...just wondering.
It's a family sedan and to be honest, the manual is more fun to drive. I've always owned a MT, but really, the paddles are fun and when you don't feel like playing you can put it in D and relax.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:07 PM
paddle FTW

Old 03-31-2008, 08:36 PM
I love using my manual mode w/paddle shifters, you get better control of the car and no random jerk around if you decide to step on it etc...

Old 04-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Curious ??: I notice that shifting into 3rd gear in manual shifting mode with the Auto tranny is the least smooth. 2007 G35X, TSB 028 ECU Update applied about 2 months ago. The upshift into 3rd gear in Auto mode is smoother than before the ECU update, but in DS or Manual seems harder. Anybody sense this too?

Old 04-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GGRJR
let's just say, I have seen her drive a stick, not pretty.
surprised no one commented on that yet.

i owned all MT cars until this one. Being in toronto i wanted best of both worlds. God forbid you'd get stuck on the 401 with a MT. I figured the Gx with the shiftronic/near future upgrade to paddles would take care of everything I need. The horsepower/trq with the shiftronic lets me play, the auto lets me relax, the AWD and traction control make winter driving extremely enjoyable.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by almatti
Curious ??: I notice that shifting into 3rd gear in manual shifting mode with the Auto tranny is the least smooth. 2007 G35X, TSB 028 ECU Update applied about 2 months ago. The upshift into 3rd gear in Auto mode is smoother than before the ECU update, but in DS or Manual seems harder. Anybody sense this too?

Yes, that's intentional. 3rd gear is the banger gear. think about acceleration under full stress. 1st to 2nd occurs around 40MPH and the car is not moving too fast so HP & torque can still rocket the car forward because the gears are low. tranny can slip a little but it goes in smooth. 2nd to 3rd is when your at about 60-65mph and the gear ratio is higher, torque is not enough to spring the car forward so trying to do a smooth transition will wear out the tranny fast. the car is better off just locking into the gear even though it's a bit rougher, it's going to make the tranny last longer and by locking in quickly it's minimizing the loss of momentum. Total loss of momentum occurs in less then 2 seconds. so it needs to get in gear before that other wise the powertrain takes an even nastier hit trying to go forward while the gar is going backwards(at 60 mph).

Think of it this way. from a stop, is it better to go into first gear while rolling forward or rolling backwards? which exerts more stress and wear on the tranny, and which one do you think gets you to 60mph faster?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by gottaGnow
I'm about 3 months away from purchase so my htoughts are subject to change.

I was originally leaning towards a MT sedan but two reasons have me convinced (for now) that I am going to get a AT. Living in Indiana, we get a lot of freezing rain and ice. I am concerned about being able to drive safely in a mix of freezing rain, ice and snow. Therefore I want an x. Second, and less important, I want to be able to rotate tires. I do a lot of highway driving and being able to rotate tires will help with tire wear considerably.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I like cruising at about 4K rpm's and then shifting up and stepping on the gas. Makes the car take off really nice and looks effortless as it suddenly shoots off I also donwshift prior tp making my moves in the manumatic. I only drive in manual mode about 25% of the time.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Kring: Very good explanation which makes a lot of sense. I guess what concerned me was that in regular AUTO mode, 3rd gear is smoother. Even though I'm driving......OMG..... 38 years, and driven a number of different cars and SUVs, abrupt shifts in the Trannys usually spelled trouble. But the G is a different animal with SWELL accelration.... Love this car!!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by GGRJR
2) On the very rare occasion my girl drives mine, let's just say, I have seen her drive a stick, not pretty.

+1000

Old 04-03-2008, 02:06 PM
I such a new owner that I'm still focusing on trying to figure out the radio....I've down shifted a few times for corners using the paddles...still didn't slow down as much as I like...but it helps. No spirited driving yet...I have less than 300 miles in the past 2 weeks driving this thing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AutoTransOwnners~How often do you use Manual Mode?