G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

'08 G35 after-market wood?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, my understanding from the dealer is that ALL the 'wood' is nothing but stick-on, the only difference being what it's stuck TO. Even the factory wood is an applique, it's just stuck on plain plastic rather than the aluminum finish.

Was aluminum underneath your applique?

Old 06-18-2008, 04:56 PM
I didnt get that car but yes there was aluminum underneath I could kind of see it around the shift area but other than that no where else.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by JamesR913
I didnt get that car but yes there was aluminum underneath I could kind of see it around the shift area but other than that no where else.

Thanks. Again, good to hear. Sounds like you were looking at a sure-nuff dealer performed pro job. That's what this guy is assuring me. He says the laminate is the exact same material that is used at factory.

Appreciate your help.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 PM
RCK
I have the after market wood installed in my 07G35S6MT and am very satisfied. Given 3 wood options by my Infiniti dealer in NJ, I chose the "matte" non-glossy finish. He agreed to remove it if I didn't like it. As in the pics of the glossier wood installation above, a slice of the 'washi' aluminum shows beneath the wood on the door rests and above the glove compartment.

But the whole after market wood set up looks good in the G interior which is sloping and sexy, slightly racy with "wood' (so to speak) if not sport "pimpy" as with all washi aluminum as one thread above aptly puts it.

Yes, the wood is somewhat raised but really only somewhat noticeable around the vents, which you can decide not to apply. I don't think the factory installed wood is, in fact, around the vents. Elsewhere as you can see in the pics above, the wood abuts another piece of wood, so you don't see it as raised.

The sexual innuendo is unavoidable; sorry about that, I think.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemodular
I have never seen any after-market wood veneer as nice as the factory's. The ones I have seen all will be raised and looks "applied." If you really want to get it from the dealer, ask them to show you some actuall installed samples, preferably on a G35.

Personally, I would negotiate the transport fees out of the contract, just make sure you know the condition of the unseen vehicle (age, milage, etc.).
+1000.

I sat in an 07 with the dealer's aftermarket wood applied, and no offense intended to those who have it, but it wasnt for me. It's raised, looks like plastic and defintely looks like an afterthought.
In this particular car, it was a base model so where the memory seat buttons were, there were empty holes in the "wood" leaving the aluminum underneath to show. It looked like A$$.

I personally like the look of the factory wood. It's not glossy like the pics above.
Ya know, the wood in the Lexus IS is real, but it's coated in so many layers that it becomes glossy and feels like plastic. The factory wood in the G looks and feels like wood. That's why I prefer it over the aftermarket stuff.

I ordered mine and waited.... Gawd, that wait sucked!

Also, in RCK's defense... he had no choice, sporting the 6MT Sport.
I would have had to go that same route if that was the model I chose.

Last edited by AesonVirus; 06-18-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 PM
RCK
Thanks Scott for the understanding. No holes in the wood where the memory seat buttons were in my G. I asked about this and other pitfalls before the installation because I had already visited this site and had read previous threads on the subject. So I guess I got a fairly good installation.

The wood I got is exactly the color and finish of your factory installed wood. So I feel even better. The lack of wood on the vents in your G does look better than the wood around the vents in mine. Maybe I'll have it removed.

Truth to be told, I had placed my order and negotiated a deal for the 6MT with rosewood and was given a price that included it at no charge because the dealer assumed, wrongly, that the 6MT was available with factory installed wood. I played a bit of hard ball when they found out factory wood wasn't available, and they ate the charge. And by the time they got the car I wanted it was the end of June 07 and they just wanted to move the car.

Good luck with those wisdom teeth. No need to rush out my license order.

Last edited by RCK; 06-18-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Gawd... I'm dyin' here.
I can take any pain dished out to me, ya know, like a football game injury or a mountain bike fall, but knowing something like this is coming up... I hate the anticipation and the unknown.
I'm totally allergic to pain. :'(

Oh, and thanks for not picking on the finger print marks on my navi screen.... it's a bit embarassing.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 PM
RCK
Percacet! Make your oral surgeon prescribe it and get it before the ache sets in. Head pain is a drag because you can't compartmentalize it. Your head is you. You can't get away from it.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Can I drive with Percs in my system?
Tint is a little more important than pain. (LOL)

Old 06-18-2008, 10:19 PM
RCK
Yes you can drive. I have. But take just one, you won't need more than one at a time anyway. The pain isn't THAT bad.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks dude... I guess we can go back to talking about wood again!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Aftermarket wood above actually looks pretty good... but I wouldn't have done arround the vents... or around the door handles... just seems a bit much. The glossy CF look... not feeling it. IMO Washi is still the best look for the car... it blends in.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by yapper
I want the rosewood finish instead of aluminum but I don't want to order a car and pay transportation fees. There is a dealer offering to do an aftermarket wood job for me that he says they do all the time. He says it's the same stuff that is used at the factory and warrantied the exact same. He says the only difference is that it will be going on top of the aluminum finish instead of what would be just plain plastic if done at the factory. This will cause all the 'wood' surfaces to be raised slightly higher than a normal factory job but he said it would be practically un-noticeable.

Has anyone had this done and, if so, any opinions either way?

Thanks!
we offer aftermarket wood that will look OEM. We guarentee it when it's installed professionally.

The Washi aluminum must be removed to do this install.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '08 G35 after-market wood?