Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Break-in"

What is that?

Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In Oklahoma I'm paying $0.24/gallon more for 91 vs 87. In the larger cities, I see the gap even lower.

On vacation earlier in the summer, I saw one place charging $0.60/gal difference. I was glad I was driving a rental that day, so I just continued to use 87.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
We use 91. 87 is fine, but anything lower WILL DAMANGE THE ENGINE.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:25 PM
just a lil fyi nyc is different than ny state. Gas in manhattan is way more than most ppl can imagine, they even jack up the prices around nyc (approach to holland tunnel) is routinely 10-15 cents more per gallon than it is 15 miles away at home.. just a lil 2 cents..

btw...i got one lease and one purchase
and use 91 or 93 on both...

Old 08-20-2008, 02:03 PM
I like how the gas station in my "burb" is 67 cents higher than the stations 2 exits towards town. I can see how they'd do that in Manhattan. When I rode the 5 boro ride last year I looked up and saw the prices for daily parking and almost fell off my bike. For one day of parking in NYC you can almost get a whole month in downtown Houston.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
will you really be saving 10%??? you will be at the pump more often since you wont get as many miles out of 87 octane. def do the break in to enusre your car will run at its best-could def save you money in maintenance.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
87 =$3.51 93 =$3.71 here in the Cincinnati area. Its always been $.20 more for as long as I can remember ($.79 gallon gas).

Drive the car as you please.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Gas prices here in in eastern PA as of today.
3.57 87octane
3.83 89octane
3.97 93octane

I think you still make out ahead of the game if you use premium and 5mpg better than 87. time to start doing my own mileage tests. I think i have about 800miles on my car now.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by One_Hertz
Thank you! Lots of people rape their cars from day 1 and nothing ever happens.
yep, that was me

but on the topic of this thread... I don't know where all the self-righteous self-made types came from. it's none of anyone's business whether you break in your car or not, or whether you put good or bad gas in it. If it was me, I wouldn't even consider breaking it in, and I'd probably alternate between 89 and 91 octane in it, the extra octane being for performance reasons not out of any sort of strange "ethical" consideration for the "next owner" of my car. weird.

I don't know where people get the nuts from to tell someone they're being cheap, call out their financial situation, etc. OK so I run through 2-3 tanks a week, say a $5 difference/tank would be $10-15 a week so $40-$60 a month. OK so by their logic, nothing that costs less than $40 a month should even be a consideration, but honestly I'd rather put that $40 towards a **** subscription and maybe some Netflix

Old 08-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rocaveli
yep, that was me

but on the topic of this thread... I don't know where all the self-righteous self-made types came from. it's none of anyone's business whether you break in your car or not, or whether you put good or bad gas in it. If it was me, I wouldn't even consider breaking it in, and I'd probably alternate between 89 and 91 octane in it, the extra octane being for performance reasons not out of any sort of strange "ethical" consideration for the "next owner" of my car. weird.

I don't know where people get the nuts from to tell someone they're being cheap, call out their financial situation, etc. OK so I run through 2-3 tanks a week, say a $5 difference/tank would be $10-15 a week so $40-$60 a month. OK so by their logic, nothing that costs less than $40 a month should even be a consideration, but honestly I'd rather put that $40 towards a **** subscription and maybe some Netflix
yeah you're right, it is no one's business whether you put crap gas in your car or break it in...but once you ask for advice, i think the issue becomes partly other people's business

yep, there are also those who do save ($40 - $60)/month by putting 87 in their car in order to get a **** subscription or a netflix...but how bout those who argue the opposite by saying, "I download movies and get **** for free in order to not forgoe the premium"...i think the latter is more common than what you speak of

Old 08-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by kpfury
Anyway, like I said in my previous reply, I'll probably just go w/ the premium and proper break-in process.

On a side note, how long do you guys usually warm up your car for before putting it into gear in the summer as well as winter (for those of you in colder climates)?
Mine is parked in my garage year round.
In the summer I start it I wait half a minute then go.
In the winter I let it run for a minute if from my garage. If it's been out all day in the cold I will let it run a couple minutes. It really depends on how cold it is. It's often sub -30C (-22F) and in Northern Ont at my in-laws its dips below -40C (-40F). When I'm up there I have it plugged in.
If you can...use your block heater on the real cold days. Your car will love you for it. I'm not sure which US models are equipped with it but I would think a NY car would come with it.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:26 PM
What's a block heater? Does it come w/ the premium, nav, or sport pkg?

I started this thread to ask for advice, and the responses are much appreciated. I only got a little offended when it seemed I was being attacked for simply THINKING about putting in 87 or not properly breaking in the car. Like how dare I even bring up the question?? It's only $5-7 a tank!

I don't particularly appreciate people projecting their values on me, esp in a derogatory manner. Anyway, I'll be putting in premium and breaking in the car and warming it up properly, so no harm no foul! thanks every1~

Old 08-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kpfury
What's a block heater? Does it come w/ the premium, nav, or sport pkg?

I started this thread to ask for advice, and the responses are much appreciated. I only got a little offended when it seemed I was being attacked for simply THINKING about putting in 87 or not properly breaking in the car. Like how dare I even bring up the question?? It's only $5-7 a tank!

I don't particularly appreciate people projecting their values on me, esp in a derogatory manner. Anyway, I'll be putting in premium and breaking in the car and warming it up properly, so no harm no foul! thanks every1~
If you think that was an attack then you're crazy man...I took my time to explain why I thought putting premium in your car is a good idea instead of writing a short statement that has no content to it. You can take it how you want man, that's your job not mine...you can take it as advice or an attack, but I can assure you my intention wasn't to attack anyone. I try my best to make my comments legible and sensible and that's it man...I also try my best not to offend people, but sometimes it comes off the wrong way. Grow some thicker skin bro

Last edited by ugaexploder; 08-21-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Break-in LOL Break-in LMAO
Break-in
BAHHAHAHAHAH!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
If you think that was an attack then you're crazy man...I took my time to explain why I thought putting premium in your car is a good idea instead of writing a short statement that has no content to it. You can take it how you want man, that's your job not mine...you can take it as advice or an attack, but I can assure you my intention wasn't to attack anyone. I try my best to make my comments legible and sensible and that's it man...I also try my best not to offend people, but sometimes it comes off the wrong way. Grow some thicker skin bro
aite my bad, it was just the whole comment about living in NY that kinda got to me. anyway i def appreciate the advice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Break-in a Lease?