G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Break-in a Lease?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Break-in a Lease?

So I just leased a 2008 G35xS fully loaded for 2 years. Would you guys break in a leased vehicle, or nah, knowing full well you'll be returning it for good in 2 years? What about using regular vs premium gas?

On a related note, when I picked up the vehicle the tank was full and I averaged 15mpg (driving like a granny). After I filled up the tank w/ premium 93 octane, I'm averaging +20mpg driving in a similar fashion. Could the huge difference be because the dealer put in 87 octane?

Old 08-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the dealer more than likely did put 87 in your car...

break it in for peace of mind, cause you will be driving it for 2 years...plus the first 3000-4000 miles just fly by so a 1200 mile break-in period shouldn't be that painful...just use premium man, it only costs like 3 bucks more on a tank, give me a break

Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 PM
You know what, i would say be ethical, and consider the poor guy who will buy your lease returned car. Drive it like your own car, enjoy it but give it a break.

do not refrain from having fun with it though.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:36 PM
yea, I figured wouldn't hurt to break it in, I'm loathe to drive it hard anyway cuz of the way it guzzles gas.

And in NY the difference is actually more like $7 for a tank - when it costs over $70 to fill up a tank, a 10% difference starts to add up... but I'll prob use premium anyway just cuz of the mpg difference...

Old 08-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh man who cares. Its a lease, dogg it out from the get go!

Seriously though, breaking it in would be nice for the next owner. Dont do to others what you woulnt want done to yourself.

Enjoy it though, no granny driving!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by kpfury
yea, I figured wouldn't hurt to break it in, I'm loathe to drive it hard anyway cuz of the way it guzzles gas.

And in NY the difference is actually more like $7 for a tank - when it costs over $70 to fill up a tank, a 10% difference starts to add up... but I'll prob use premium anyway just cuz of the mpg difference...
i don't see how it can be a $7 dollar difference...we have a 18 gallon tank...the difference between unleaded (87) and premium (93) is $0.30 most of the time....let's do some quick math here, 18 x .3 = $5.4...unless premium is 40 more cents than unleaded, i don't see how it can cost $7 in difference...rarely do you actually put 18 gallons in your tank...for me it's mostly around 14 gallons...

oh yeah and from this website
http://www.newyorkgasprices.com/
the gas prices don't seem any different up there then down here...and last time i checked, new york is the highest paid state in the nation...sooooo i don't think it's that big of a deal still

at the end of the day, it's only 5 bucks...unless you waste a tank a day...that comes out to less than a dollar difference a day if you spend a tank in one week which is the usual average for me...if a dollar/day was that big of a deal to me i would just not take the highway with a toll and take the alternate route, problem solved

Last edited by ugaexploder; 08-12-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Premium is $0.40 more than regular from what I seen. And what does being the highest paid state have anything to do with anything? The cost of living is higher here too, unless you pay $265/mo to take the train to work too, and your maintenance fees on a 2 bedroom apartment is a $1000/mo on TOP of your mortgage payment, not to mention higher insurance premiums and parking fees.

I just bought an apartment and leased a car. Yes, I can afford to have both and pay all my bills, but I do have a budget, and if I don't need to spend an extra $30 a month on gas, then why would or should I?

I don't see it as a $7 difference, I see it as a 10% savings. How many people would kill to see a 10% return on their investment/savings, especially in this market??

Old 08-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
i don't see how it can be a $7 dollar difference...we have a 18 gallon tank...the difference between unleaded (87) and premium (93) is $0.30 most of the time....let's do some quick math here, 18 x .3 = $5.4...unless premium is 40 more cents than unleaded, i don't see how it can cost $7 in difference...rarely do you actually put 18 gallons in your tank...for me it's mostly around 14 gallons...
i thought our car had 20 gallon tanks? or did i just misread the specs?

Old 08-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Driver19
i thought our car had 20 gallon tanks? or did i just misread the specs?
Yes, it's a 20 gallon tank.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I leased my 07 Sedan for business reasons and I went through the breakthrough period properly.........I wouldn't think of doing it any other way. I also put 91 in it every single fill up.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:29 PM
OP: you probably can't drive it hard enough to do anything that would foul a "break in" process on that car. have fun

Old 08-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by kpfury
Premium is $0.40 more than regular from what I seen. And what does being the highest paid state have anything to do with anything? The cost of living is higher here too, unless you pay $265/mo to take the train to work too, and your maintenance fees on a 2 bedroom apartment is a $1000/mo on TOP of your mortgage payment, not to mention higher insurance premiums and parking fees.

I just bought an apartment and leased a car. Yes, I can afford to have both and pay all my bills, but I do have a budget, and if I don't need to spend an extra $30 a month on gas, then why would or should I?

I don't see it as a $7 difference, I see it as a 10% savings. How many people would kill to see a 10% return on their investment/savings, especially in this market??
Well, you shoulda purchased a 328i then my friend. I just don't see how $30 a month can really make that much of a difference to where you would have to forego premium gas. I am by no means "rich." I'm 21, work a couple jobs, go to school, and try to pay for this car and the gas I have to put in it to enjoy it. However, I don't gripe about a $30 difference in my month from gas...if it's that important, hell, I'll hitch a ride with a coworker or take public transportation.

I try to save my money where I can, but give me a break. We're still lucky enough to live in the U.S. and not pay rediculous prices like other counries around the world. It seems like you're a smart guy and you probably did a good bit of research before you purchased the car...if you did do your research and gas is an issue...then why did you buy this car? Everywhere you go to find a review on this car, it says the gas mileage you get out of it is the worst con.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Anyway, like I said in my previous reply, I'll probably just go w/ the premium and proper break-in process.

On a side note, how long do you guys usually warm up your car for before putting it into gear in the summer as well as winter (for those of you in colder climates)?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is my routine... push button, change gear and drive... (tx winters are mild)

Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by jsmonet
OP: you probably can't drive it hard enough to do anything that would foul a "break in" process on that car. have fun
Thank you! Lots of people rape their cars from day 1 and nothing ever happens.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Break-in a Lease?