G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

How to check for AWD and VDC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to check for AWD and VDC?

How would one check if the AWD and VDC systems are working properly? Had two incidents recently which pissed me off quite a bit. The car is an 08 g35xs all options with 3600 km on it. Tires still have lots of tread on them.

1. I am trying to change lanes from my lane which is stopped to another lane which is moving. I position my car for the lane change and kick the throttle. Not all the way mind you, to about 4k-4.5k rpm. I hear my tires spinning away. I wait 1 second, 2 seconds, still spinning away and I am slowly moving forward. I give up on waiting for the car and ease off the throttle to about 3k rpm and start moving. It was very wet so I can see why they would be spinning, but why the F*U*C*K did my AWD and VDC not kick in??? 50% power to the front wheels would have been perfect.

2. It is late at night, I am sitting at a turn light. I can see very far in all directions and there is nobody. I give it some gas through the turn and at about 40km/h (it was wet as well) I get massive overstreer. No VDC, no AWD. The G was behaving like a 100% raw RWD vehicle. Got out of it myself barely, but I could have curbed my tires.

The only time I have seen VDC light ever come on is if I floor the car in straight line. Thats about it. I do not recall noticing AWD kicking in once...

Help?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It does not light up the AWD. If it does you have a problem. Only time it lights up when it is testing. Start the engine. I think it is time to take it to the dealer. I see my VDC lights many times( when I don't turn it off). But you can't really feel it. Of course on my spirited drives my VDC is off or if I play in the snow. How is it feel when the road is dry? How about turning the VDC off?

Now you have an unsafe car(RWD). Just kidding. Hope something simple.

tg

Old 09-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Have the dealer check it - I have an S, but VDC would have kicked in hard in both of the situations you describe.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by tg1234
It does not light up the AWD. If it does you have a problem. Only time it lights up when it is testing. Start the engine. I think it is time to take it to the dealer. I see my VDC lights many times( when I don't turn it off). But you can't really feel it. Of course on my spirited drives my VDC is off or if I play in the snow. How is it feel when the road is dry? How about turning the VDC off?

tg
I know the AWD isnt supposed to light up, I was just saying that I have never noticed front wheels recieving any power. I've turned off the VDC before, but I have not noticed any changes. The big question is if I even want AWD until winter hits

I just want a good way to test it myself...

Old 09-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by tg1234

tg
Stupid question but if VDC is off and you are driving in the snow, does AWD still work...what happens?

Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In a word, yes.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by LiquidGx
In a word, yes.
I'm still confused...whats the pt then of turning VDC off then if AWD is still on?

Old 09-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by jazzjit23
I'm still confused...whats the pt then of turning VDC off then if AWD is still on?
When I'm at a red light that turns green and I floor it, I feel the car pause ever so slightly. It's sensing wheel spin/traction loss and cutting power until the tires bite in.

If I do the same thing with the VDC turned off, all hell breaks loose when I hit the gas. The car doesn't care if one wheel or all four and spinning, the car just launches.

Our cars are AWD up to 12 mph and then only kicks in again when traction loss is detected. Unless otherwise needed, our cars are RWD above 12 mph. Turning off the VDC doesn't turn off the AWD... just the power cutting grandmother that sits under the gas pedal.

On a side note, the Snow Mode just cuts power so initial starts aren't as neck snapping. It doesn't affect the AWD's actions in any way.
It also doesn't change the fact that the car becomes RWD over 12 mph.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
snow mode = AWD

Snow mode reduce throttle sensitivity/tip in, puts shifting into the softest available mode, and locks the car into 50/50 split.

VDC is always on every G35.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
snow mode = AWD

... and locks the car into 50/50 split.

Yes, I made a mistake... forgot about that, so yes, it does affect the AWD, but it's still only up to 12 mph.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Yes, I made a mistake... forgot about that, so yes, it does affect the AWD, but it's still only up to 12 mph.
i believe it's up to 19 mph.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Could my AWD fuse be pulled or something???

Old 09-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still learning about this car (pre-buying stage) so this is a serious question. It appears from your comments that VDC is the G35 stability control and it appears there is an on/off switch.

Is the AWD selectable/adjustable in any way? Is there a way to switch it off intentionally? Or is it completely automatic except for snow mode?

Old 09-09-2008, 11:33 PM
nope, snow mode is the only selectable AWD option.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:51 PM
noob here... trying to find out this info as well.... so... if i have VDC off... I will have rwd after 20 mph?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to check for AWD and VDC?