G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Advice Needed: '08 G35 vs. '09 G37 sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Needed: '08 G35 vs. '09 G37 sedan

Hi, I'm planning on buying a new car in the next couple of weeks/months and am looking for some advice. I've had my eye on the 2008 G35 sedan for the past few months and have been waiting to hear about the '09 to either get it or pick up the '08 for cheaper. Seeing the changes in the '09, I'm wondering if someone could tell me if those engine changes and whatnot are something that I (as somewhat of a layman) would notice and appreciate.

Basically, I'm looking for someone to sell me on the '09 improvements being worth the extra money (however much more that turns out to be). Thanks!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:15 AM
SMT
Hi Josh
Same here I'm planning to buy a G35
I think it's better to wait and see reviews on the new 09 G37
Maybe the new 7AT is worth it
that 7AT is the only thing that would make the difference .. I'm not interested in extra horse power because the car is already a rocket
The best thing is to wait for reviews from edmunds, motortrend...etc

Last edited by SMT; 09-14-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Dealers (in the US mainland) are getting g37 sedans by September 18th. My dealer showed me the monthly allocation paperwork.

I would wait. There are plenty of 08 g35 sedans left over if you need to save $$$$,

Old 09-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Best pricing??

It seems that today is a good time to buy a '08 with dealers willing to give up all or at least most of their profit plus we can get the additional manufactures $3,000 rebate. This would give us a deal at $5,500 to $6,000 off MSRP.

In order to make the decision from a price perspective, the question I have is when can we expect the pricing to return to this low level again. We know that when the new G37 arrives, the dealers are going to try to hold onto as much as they can and hope that there are those that just can't wait and will pay a longer dollar to be the first on their block. The manufacture rebate will also disappear. End result is that the new '09 will cost you the price increase of the '09 over the '08 plus the loss of the rebate and you are going to have to give the dealer more for his profit. This looks to me like it would be, give or take, about $5,000.

So the next question is, how long before we see a return to some degree of desperation on the part of both dealers and the manufacture and thus we see the resulting rebates and discounts. I know that month end is a great time to buy but that year end is the best. That is especially so here in the northern New York area when the dealers have not seen a prospective customer in a week or so and a northeaster just blew in another foot or two of fresh snow. Car dealers competing with Santa in this part of the country, at year end, is not pretty. That leads me to a question. Does anyone have a feel about what has happened historiclly at the end of the year. Have the rebates returned in December or January??

If the rebates return, the dealers will be in the mood to deal and we can get a great deal... in my mind a deal worth waiting for.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:40 AM
As soon as all the 08 G35's have been sold the dealers will have no choice but to deal because they'll all have 09 G37's in stock, it levels the playing field for everyone. It's the simple laws of supply and demand. I've yet had to pay anywhere close to list for ANY G I've bought in the past and refuse to now(more like closer to invoice). Simply put, if you can't find the deal you're looking for at one dealership, keep shopping until you do(AS LONG AS IT'S WITHIN REASON).

Old 09-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rx794
As soon as all the 08 G35's have been sold the dealers will have no choice but to deal because they'll all have 09 G37's in stock, it levels the playing field for everyone. It's the simple laws of supply and demand. I've yet had to pay anywhere close to list for ANY G I've bought in the past and refuse to now(more like closer to invoice). Simply put, if you can't find the deal you're looking for at one dealership, keep shopping until you do(AS LONG AS IT'S WITHIN REASON).
+1

Please don't be like some of the douches that come in to my dealer demanding 10k off of a QX56 cuz it's the end of the year with 0% financing.

1. I don't have any in stock.

2. I don't have any in stock.

3. I don't have any in stock.

Plus, that's a deal I'd pass on all day.

I had a guy yesterday that must have called 15+ times saying that it's the end of the year and I need to liquidate my QX inventory.

I told him "Sir, I don't have any left, and there are only a handful of them left in the entire state. I suggest you call other dealers and see if they have one, because I do not. Nor will I sell you one for 10k off. Have a nice evening"

-Mike

Old 09-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by jaholland
It seems that today is a good time to buy a '08 with dealers willing to give up all or at least most of their profit plus we can get the additional manufactures $3,000 rebate. This would give us a deal at $5,500 to $6,000 off MSRP.

In order to make the decision from a price perspective, the question I have is when can we expect the pricing to return to this low level again. We know that when the new G37 arrives, the dealers are going to try to hold onto as much as they can and hope that there are those that just can't wait and will pay a longer dollar to be the first on their block. The manufacture rebate will also disappear. End result is that the new '09 will cost you the price increase of the '09 over the '08 plus the loss of the rebate and you are going to have to give the dealer more for his profit. This looks to me like it would be, give or take, about $5,000.

So the next question is, how long before we see a return to some degree of desperation on the part of both dealers and the manufacture and thus we see the resulting rebates and discounts. I know that month end is a great time to buy but that year end is the best. That is especially so here in the northern New York area when the dealers have not seen a prospective customer in a week or so and a northeaster just blew in another foot or two of fresh snow. Car dealers competing with Santa in this part of the country, at year end, is not pretty. That leads me to a question. Does anyone have a feel about what has happened historiclly at the end of the year. Have the rebates returned in December or January??

If the rebates return, the dealers will be in the mood to deal and we can get a great deal... in my mind a deal worth waiting for.

Seen the turmoil in the financial system the last couple of days? Lots of people have lost, and more will lose, their jobs...the ripple effects will be big as financial firms buy lots of technology, for example...car sales will likely continue to slow into '09 and rebates/great pricing will be needed to move the iron. You also need to remember that '08 is a year old car now...whether that is worth $ to you or not is only something you can determine...I'm going to go with the '09, although I'm really aggravated that the Maxima has the option of some goodies the G37 doesn't (like ventilated seats, for ex.).....

Last edited by mondo540; 09-16-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:43 PM
my 0.02 gallons worth of opinion...

My opinion is highly biased by the fact that I believe that the G37 Sedan’s seven speed automatic trans. represents Infiniti addressing the single biggest issue that kept me from buying a G35 when last I was in the market for a Sport Sedan.

** ASSUMING ** that the final drive provides both a boost in acceleration ( likely minor ) as well as lowered RPM at highway cruising speeds ( and the attendant increase in actual fuel economy, under those conditions ) then the G37 Sedan will make my “short list”.

For me, the current offers on 2008 G35 Sedans represent:
an excellent ‘deal’,
on a very good car,
that simply is not exactly what I want . . .

The G37 Sedans will ( clearly ) cost more that a G35 Sedan – at least initially - and this is quite typical, when a significantly improved model is introduced.

For those who do not particularly care what RPM their V6 runs at while cruising at 75 MPH –
and for those who don’t particularly care about a difference of ( guessing, here ) 2 or 3 MPG under those circumstances –
the G35 Sedan is ( clearly ) a better choice . . .

Cheaper, in this case, equals better.
For them.

Cheers,
- Ray
Waiting to read G37 Sedan tests –
and to conduct my own . . .

Old 09-17-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm glad that IF I do end up renewing another Infiniti, it will be in 2010. I do like the G overall so far, though little bits such as the 4piston brakes ala the coupe will make a heck of a nice looking "extras" along with the 7 speed...just wished my paddle shifter is a bit more responsive in shifting the grears.

Turn in is still not up to BMW though..maybe a bit wider front tires will help.

Still a great value and reliable...only a few times I had the auto setting (seat and steeringwheel) not work when I start the car...but I just turn off and on and the mechanism works again.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by rayainsw
** ASSUMING ** that the final drive provides both a boost in acceleration ( likely minor ) as well as lowered RPM at highway cruising speeds ( and the attendant increase in actual fuel economy, under those conditions ) then the G37 Sedan will make my “short list”....
And therein lies the key issue....

I've noticed that Infiniti uses 3 axle ratios in its FM platform; 3.369, 3.59 & 3.692 (it also has the 3.133 axle ratio in the 2006 Q45 and QX56). Right now the G37 uses the 3.692 ratio with the 5A & 6M. The only way that the new 7A will make a meaningful difference is if it is mated with the 3.357 axle; which is the same as the 2009 FX35 RWD.
The G doesn't need better acceleration; it needs better MPG. (YES I KNOW I KNOW.... we're talking about 330 HP vehicle but with seven speeds why shouldn't we expect an improvement? )

Old 09-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
+1

Please don't be like some of the douches that come in to my dealer demanding 10k off of a QX56 cuz it's the end of the year with 0% financing.

1. I don't have any in stock.

2. I don't have any in stock.

3. I don't have any in stock.

Plus, that's a deal I'd pass on all day.

I had a guy yesterday that must have called 15+ times saying that it's the end of the year and I need to liquidate my QX inventory.

I told him "Sir, I don't have any left, and there are only a handful of them left in the entire state. I suggest you call other dealers and see if they have one, because I do not. Nor will I sell you one for 10k off. Have a nice evening"

-Mike
No one cares if you do or don't have any left or what your inventory is. You are ONE dealer of the many thousands of others. If we can't get a deal from you or if you're not willing to deal, no one cares. There will be others willing to deal.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:20 AM
3.133 ?

Originally Posted by Mr_Ryte
And therein lies the key issue....

I've noticed that Infiniti uses 3 axle ratios in its FM platform; 3.369, 3.59 & 3.692 (it also has the 3.133 axle ratio in the 2006 Q45 and QX56). Right now the G37 uses the 3.692 ratio with the 5A & 6M. The only way that the new 7A will make a meaningful difference is if it is mated with the 3.357 axle; which is the same as the 2009 FX35 RWD. ...
I was not aware of the 3.133 - that would receive my vote...
- Ray
FWIW...

Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Well, if it helps anyone, after crunching all the numbers including the speculative numbers on the 2009, taking into account the fact that we will keep this car 2-3 years and put about 15K miles on it, my wife will be the primary driver, etc. etc., I went ahead and have decided to pick up a GREAT deal on an 08 that is equipped exactly as I want it. Since we are paying cash, the $3K incentive just put the deal over the top.

-GT

Old 09-20-2008, 03:53 PM
it's a personal thing.

for me, if I am paying these dollars for a luxury car, I don't want to get into a 3 or 4 year lease and then a month later see G37s whizzing around.

I am waiting and will pay a bit more monthly not to feel that pang every time I see one or an ad for one.

And then I can say my G has 100 more horses than my friends BMW

Old 09-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get the car that you want. But, if it's going to cost a few thousand more for a G37........ that'll pay for a year of gas.

The power and transmission (auto) should be slightly better than the current car. But, for 99% of the people on the road..... the G35 is fast enough.

But, if I'm buying new, I want the newest one. If you want a good deal on a G35 sedan...... buy a used 07 for like $24k and pocket the rest of the money.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed: '08 G35 vs. '09 G37 sedan