G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Red, Black, 2009, xS. T-15 days. Noob questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Red, Black, 2009, xS. T-15 days. Noob questions.

Admittedly, these posts are probably not nearly as cool for everyone else as the posters, but what the heck? I figure it's like family pictures - everyone shows them to everyone knowing full well that they are annoyed...

Anyway, onwards and upwards...

I have been lurking here a while, and have finally ordered my dream G - went for the G37xS with Prem/Nav/Tech/Sport. GARNET EMBER, baby. I figured, if you're getting a 330+ HP car, you might as well go for broke and go with red.

So, after a recent delay, I'm expecting delivery on Nov 20. Outside of the clear bra treatment (I'm asking for a custom job to cover the A pillars, the full cups under the door handles, and a thin strip on the door edges), and the wheel/tire insurance, what other things should I watch for or get in writing up front?

I have already requested that the front plate bracket not be attached - I wanted to use the overpriced Stillen tow-hook bracket or a vinyl license plate pasted to the bumper. Anything else to watch for?

Many thanks, and I look forward to a 50% increase in HP (over my current ride), and in joining your ranks.

Last edited by Slappy_G; 11-07-2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Clarifying text
Old 11-08-2008, 09:36 PM
How are you doing on price negotiations?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Infiniti of Bedford ripping me off bad...

Not well. I'm dealing with Infiniti of Bedford in Cleveland, and they are almost trying hard not to work with me on it. But, since I ordered it, I have little choice - or perhaps, that's what they want me to think.

I couldn't even get them to come down a little on the price with a 10K down payment. Scary.

Now my debate is $2500 for the 5 year premium maintenance or not. Also, they are totally ripping me off on the clear bra cost. First it was $500 for the bumper, 6" of the hood, mirror fronts and door handle cups. This was told to me on 3 separate occasions by my salesman. Then today, the General Manager tells me that $500 just covers the hood, mirrors, and door cups. That's total BS, or someone doesn't know something.

Anyone know good clearbra installers around Cleveland OH? Want to do a full bumper wrap, 6-8" of hood, full fenders and door cups. Would prefer also having a strip along the door edges.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:58 PM
When did you order the car, and how much did you put down to order the car? It may not be too late if you are willing to wait, and didn't throw down a butt load of money to order the car. I know you probably are probably excited to get this car soon, but if you're deal is not good, you will spend thousands of dollars more in the end.

I got my G37 sedan for $500 over invoice at Bommarito in St. Louis. I would not pay the dealer to service your car, you can get great service at a good local shop for less. I would also find someone else to do your clear bra, depending on market conditions in your area, you shouldn't pay more than $650 to get everything done. I got lights, hood and fenders to 14 inches, bumper, and mirrors for $600

Old 11-12-2008, 09:37 PM
I actually, through an odd fluke of timing, didn't put a deposit down. It's a long story. So, I suppose if I wanted to be a d_ck, I could just bail, but they're the only dealer within 75 miles, so if I ever need something, that'd be bad.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:36 PM
That's good for you that you didn't leave a deposit, but are you willing to pay a significant amount more money to own a car that you're not getting a good deal on? In any sort of transaction, major and minor, this case being a car purchase, emotions can get the best of you. There is a whole area of study dedicated to consumer psychology, and some dealers will play on psychological weaknesses to separate you from your money (there are just too many ways to manipulate a buyer). In the end, buying a car is no more than a transaction.

Sorry to be blunt, I would bail. This deal doesn't seem like it has anything positive going for it other than the fact that you will have a great car for which you overpaid. You can find a better deal somewhere else even if there are no other dealers in Cleveland. You have no monetary interest in this car, and to be honest you need to work a better deal. Heck, with the way the economy has been, I'm thinking even my $500 over invoice deal won't be looking too hot in a couple of months when the '09's really finally come out.

I wouldn't let the dealer trick you into feeling that you have to buy from them in order to get great service. Good dealers are always willing to help out even if you haven't purchased from them. In the end, they want to earn your business. Besides, what are you thinking that you may need from them in the future other than maybe routine maintenance and maybe perhaps the rare warranty repair? Likely nothing. In the end, the only people who get "ripped off" are ones who let themselves do so.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Code:
That's good for you that you didn't leave a deposit, but are you willing to pay a significant amount more money to own a car that you're not getting a good deal on?
That is a good point, and certainly difficult to disagree with. I was looking at it more as the instant gratification answer - more specifically, it lets me get rid of my existing other car which is starting to have maintenance get pricier.

I ran a report at edmunds.com that shows with the options i have, the car has an MSRP of $43,465, an invoice price of $39,794, but it says under "True Market Value: what others are paying" that the going rate is $43,247.

What am I missing? At the least, I'll take the invoice price printout with me, but my issue is, if I buy it elsewhere, I'll have to wait another 3-4 months, which may end up costing me the same in maintenance on this car. So, what would you recommend - lay down a price and walk if they don't meet it?

Sorry if this sounds wishy-washy, but i don't want to ask for a deal that I won't get and pass a car now only to get an only slightly better deal elsewhere... ARGH. This sucks.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Is your current car that busted that it won't last you another 3-4 month's? If the cost of ownership of your current car over the next three months will cover/exceed the spread of the money that you theoretically could be saving by buying at $500 over invoice (if you can get them to agree to it, maybe hard given that they are the only Infiniti dealership in Cleveland), then I would buy it. What price did you settle on for the car? You need to know what you're paying.

The funny thing about the "what others are paying" business is that Infiniti (and the dealer guys may correct me if I'm wrong) has probably delivered a total of maybe a hundredish G37 sedans in the U.S within the last couple of weeks. I think there are only 3-4 members who have bought their G37 sedans on this board, and two of them are freakin' Canadian.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Hmmm... Good point - so that's not really showing anything other than uninformed consumer behavior. The price they quoted me was 43K with all packages (Nav/Sport/Tech/Prem). Essentially, it appears to be 400-500 below MSRP, but about 3K over invoice.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Slappy_G
Hmmm... Good point - so that's not really showing anything other than uninformed consumer behavior. The price they quoted me was 43K with all packages (Nav/Sport/Tech/Prem). Essentially, it appears to be 400-500 below MSRP, but about 3K over invoice.
Try Infiniti of Columbus. I know it's 2 hours drive from here, but they offer pretty good deals. One of my friends bought 2008 G35X from there and the price difference was around 3000$. I bought my Infiniti at some Ford dealership in Mentor and I get all my servicing done at Infiniti of Bedford and I also get a free loaner car. So, even if you could save 2 - 3 grand that should be good enough. My .02$

BTW, I'm from Cleveland

Old 11-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Sucks you don't have any dealers near you. I've got about 5 Infiniti dealers in the area and had them all compete. I basically told them what I wanted and had them shoot me over a quote via email...which I then forwarded to everyone else to see if they could beat it.

I ended up getting it for below invoice. The sticker on my 07 was about $40k, got it for $37,797 OTD.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I went out of state to buy mine. Try Mike at Riverside. So far, I have had nothing but a great experience. With the price of diesel down, shipping a car might save you something over what your dealer is quoting you.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Well, the good news is, I managed to shave nearly $1000 off the previous price. Columbus was not able to do much better, so I'm pretty happy with that.

I should be taking delivery within 48 hours, so I'll let you know.