G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

iPod Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod Questions

Hi everyone, new 2008 G35x owner here. Glad I found this forum.

Forgive me if this has already been addressed, but I wasn't able to find a definitive answer to this question. Basically, what I want to know is if there's any problem with keeping my iPod hooked up indefinitely. The iPod seems to be working properly in that it's shutting off at some point after I turn off the car and comes back on when I start up again.

However, as silly as it may sound, I was just concerned if this could drain or otherwise affect the car battery over time, since the Infiniti charges the iPod when it's hooked up. Does anybody know if the iPod continues to charge when the car is shut off?

I also have a question about using the iPod interface. When I select a playlist and start playing a particular song, is there a quick way to go back to the list of songs in that same playlist so I can choose another song? Up to this point, I've have had to start over by going back to the main iPod screen, select the same playlist again, then scroll down from the first song.

Thanks for any and all info!

- Brad H.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
I've had no problem keeping mine plugged into the car. It's been in there for a year. As far as the playlist goes, no clue. You can try the back button on the display console, or toggle the steering wheel switch to go through the playlist you are on.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. I'd also like to hear from any others if you guys do the same thing, just for a little more reassurance.

I'm not 100% sure if I've tried the BACK button while playing a song, but I know the toggle switch doesn't bring me back to the playlist screen. Anybody?

- Brad H.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:24 PM
I have the '08 Premium without Nav, but here goes...

I don't know of a clever way to do it from the status screen (audio info on top, climate info on bottom). However, from the default view after hitting the Disc button, "Back" will take you from Now Playing back to the current playlist. You can also hit "Enter" with Menu highlighted to go back to the current playlist.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:00 PM
I also haven't had any problems leaving my iPod hooked up all the time. I honestly never even thought about it draining the battery. I just assumed with quality engineering they had some way of shutting off the power draw once the car was off.

As far as getting back to the playlist, the best way I've found if you're in the "status" view, is to simply hit the disc button. Takes you right back to where you just selected.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The iPod does not charge while the car is turned off. In fact some people have issues with the iPod not shutting off and draining it's own battery if the car is shut off for an extended time.

I leave my car parked for 28 days at a time (work 4 weeks off / 4 weeks on) with the iPod connected and it's never drained my battery.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:33 PM
x2 all auxiliary power outlets are not functional while the car is off.

Even if it were, the power drain on the battery would be negligible unless you left that iPod in there for an extremely long time.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I will try the "Back" button this evening. From what I recall, I think I tried using "Menu" while the song was playing and it brought me back to the main iPod screen.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. You guys are great. Thanks...

Old 11-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Oh, I missed your second question.

I have an 07 and the 08's have a much enhanced iPod interface, but if it works the same as the built in hard-drive heres what you'd have to do:

If you want to see the entire playlist, hit the "Disc/Aux" button. If you want to see the single song/artist title, hit the "Status" button.

On the 2007's we are slightly more ghetto and the playlists do not show up at all on our LCD screen...bummer.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Oh, I missed your second question.

I have an 07 and the 08's have a much enhanced iPod interface, but if it works the same as the built in hard-drive heres what you'd have to do:

If you want to see the entire playlist, hit the "Disc/Aux" button. If you want to see the single song/artist title, hit the "Status" button.

On the 2007's we are slightly more ghetto and the playlists do not show up at all on our LCD screen...bummer.
I'll check again tonight, but I think hitting the "Disc/Aux" button while a song is playing switches you off iPod and to CD. I think the "Back" button would seem to make the most sense (i.e., going back one step from a single song to the playlist it came from)...

Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by bjh1014
I'll check again tonight, but I think hitting the "Disc/Aux" button while a song is playing switches you off iPod and to CD. I think the "Back" button would seem to make the most sense (i.e., going back one step from a single song to the playlist it came from)...
I know with the harddrive, it'll only switch to the next aux input, cd, etc, if its already showing the playlist view. If you're in another screen (say the Status screen or the navi map), it'll return you to the playlist screen.

Same goes with the AM/FM/Sat button. If you're on the screen that shows you all your presets, hitting the button again will switch from AM to FM band, however if you hit it while you're on another screen, it'll return you to the preset summary screen.