G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

$500 over invoice: good or bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevink
What is the problem with a dealer swap if everything else is what you wanted?

When I bought mine 5 years ago, I gave them my requirements, and my top 2 color choices, and they found it so I could get it in a week rather than months. And it had 7 miles on the odometer when I got it.
In my experience, dealer swaps sometimes involve cars that have been sitting in open lots collecting acid rain damage and getting their paint scratched and swirled to hell by careless, minimum-wage "detailers."

.....Just my experience.

A port to dealer delivery reduces the chances that the paint gets damaged by dealer prep processes. When I picked up my Nissan 350Z back in 2002, I insisted that the car remain untouched. To this day the car has perfect, swirl-free paint.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by DeanOU
In my experience, dealer swaps sometimes involve cars that have been sitting in open lots collecting acid rain damage and getting their paint scratched and swirled to hell by careless, minimum-wage "detailers."

.....Just my experience.

A port to dealer delivery reduces the chances that the paint gets damaged by dealer prep processes. When I picked up my Nissan 350Z back in 2002, I insisted that the car remain untouched. To this day the car has perfect, swirl-free paint.

I agree wholeheartedly. I was having a coronary knowing that my car was sitting in port in September with the worry that it was getting rained on in acid rain city. Then further worries that they were keeping the car at port beyond its scheduled delivery date of mid September. I'm glad Infiniti released the car in October.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Being a newbie here, I'm getting confused & need help!
Is the dealer really passing along a $2000 Infiniti-based rebate to us as he is saying? I have not read any mentions of any $2K rebate. $1K yes, but not $2K.
Also need know why our car, if truly coming via carrier from a NJ Port, might have up to 50 miles on it (but guaranteed to have no more than 50).
Why so much mileage if coming from a Port?
Do we insist on ordering, or will car still have up to 50 miles upon delivery as it has to come thru a Port? We are in no particular rush, but think we finally found the right car for us so ready to buy.
Last - if paying cash, with no trade in, is $600 over invoice really a good deal? Some of you are saying $500 under invoice is a good deal, but I'm sure it depends on the time frame and availability?
Dealer is throwing in lifetime free oil changes; a 1 yr contract for nitro in tires (whatever that is), and "thicker" floor mats - none of which are important to us - especially the nitro - what does one do if you need a little air when on a trip? Do gas stations have this nitro?
Salesman told me he is "only making $1400" on this deal. I have no clue why he offered this info as I never even questioned the price, or tried to bargain the price down, so find this info a bit odd & it just raises yet another red flag. (maybe I should just trust my female intuition & walk away, but that's why I'm here - I need help and hubby leaves research up to me & I pass it on to him... hmmmmmm)
If the saleaman is being up front and honest, then shame on me for doubting him, but reading on this forum has me questioning this whole particular transaction (no deposit or contract yet). We got fleeced twice by our local Audi dealer, & I don't want to repeat those experiences)

Last edited by catlover52; 01-11-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: typo and more info added
Old 01-11-2009, 04:21 PM
I think $500 over invoice is a good deal on an 09 right now if he gives you the $1K dealer cash. My dealer is playing games offering invoice. Problem is there is $1K dealer cash he wants to pocket the $1K, plus his holdback of around $700 then his $599 doc fee. The car is not even at dealership and he wants to make $2400 for a car he'll have 1 day! You would never know these guys are hurting.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:24 PM
From what I have heard $600 over invoice is good.... You may or may not be able to do better than that. If you take that deal at that price you defiantly aren’t getting screwed from what I can gather.

As far as the mileage issue, I would also want a car with as few miles on it as well...

Old 01-11-2009, 05:09 PM
I think our deal is fair but I just don't like the idea of a new car from a Port, with possibly up to 50 miles on it. Unsure where this car is really coming from & wish there was some way to find out when it arrives at the dealership....

Old 01-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by catlover52
Being a newbie here, I'm getting confused & need help!
Is the dealer really passing along a $2000 Infiniti-based rebate to us as he is saying? I have not read any mentions of any $2K rebate. $1K yes, but not $2K.
Also need know why our car, if truly coming via carrier from a NJ Port, might have up to 50 miles on it (but guaranteed to have no more than 50).
Why so much mileage if coming from a Port?
Do we insist on ordering, or will car still have up to 50 miles upon delivery as it has to come thru a Port? We are in no particular rush, but think we finally found the right car for us so ready to buy.
Last - if paying cash, with no trade in, is $600 over invoice really a good deal? Some of you are saying $500 under invoice is a good deal, but I'm sure it depends on the time frame and availability?
Dealer is throwing in lifetime free oil changes; a 1 yr contract for nitro in tires (whatever that is), and "thicker" floor mats - none of which are important to us - especially the nitro - what does one do if you need a little air when on a trip? Do gas stations have this nitro?
Salesman told me he is "only making $1400" on this deal. I have no clue why he offered this info as I never even questioned the price, or tried to bargain the price down, so find this info a bit odd & it just raises yet another red flag. (maybe I should just trust my female intuition & walk away, but that's why I'm here - I need help and hubby leaves research up to me & I pass it on to him... hmmmmmm)
If the saleaman is being up front and honest, then shame on me for doubting him, but reading on this forum has me questioning this whole particular transaction (no deposit or contract yet). We got fleeced twice by our local Audi dealer, & I don't want to repeat those experiences)
It all depends on where you're located. If you only have one dealer nearby, you're somewhat at their mercy unless you're willing to drive further or have a car shipped to you. If you're in an area where there are a lot dealers then you should be able to get a price close to invoice. I have 7 Infiniti dealers within ~50 mile radius. When I ordered my '09 back in mid-September, I had no problem getting $300 over invoice less any incentives once the vehicle arrived. When the car arrived in December I got the $1,000 marketing support and the $500 owner loyalty rebate (I think the rebate was applied after TTL) or a little under $1,200 under invoice. Now if you're willing to wait until late March, you should be able to get a really good price as March 31st is Infiniti/Nissan's fiscal year end.

As for mileage, both G's that I have ordered were delivered to me with 10 miles on the odometer. Most of the other cars I've driven or looked at at various dealers had anywhere from 15-100 miles on them.

One other thing to note, the cars are not driven from the port. They are loaded on to a transporter at the port and trucked to the dealership so I would question the sales associate about those 50 miles from the port.

Good luck to you on your upcoming purchase and welcome to the forum!

Old 01-12-2009, 03:53 PM
My problme is there is only 1 Lquid Platinum due in SE for next 6 weeks, they want Invoice and will pocket the $1K, not a great deal, but not a good deal. If I want Platinum Graph. Another dealer is willing to do invoice and split the $1K with me. So the question is, is my 1st choice color worth them getting an extra $500, which means they make $2400 on the car, $600 - DOC, $800 hold back and then $1K from the dealer cash.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:59 PM
$500 over invoice a good deal in these economic times??? IMHO, you can do better and save some of your hard-earned money. I was just offered a G37 sedan journey w/ premium and wood for $33,9. Invoice is $34,6. Didnt take much work....just emailed the dealer.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Are you guys talking about invoice on a 2008 or 2009?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by catlover52
are you guys talking about invoice on a 2008 or 2009?

Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 AM
Well I'm finally at around $600 over invoice whihc is something closer to what I can live with. Trying to wrap the deal up today or tomorrow.