G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

best aftermarket gps for the G?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best aftermarket gps for the G?

hey guys,
just got my G35x w/non nav pkg. im looking to get a nav setup for the car shortly after the holidays. i was just wondering what you all thought was the best bang for the buck? i did do some looking around on here, and it looks like everyone has a few different opinions. i also saw the thread about the GVN 52which i like alot. so, i guess im just wondering what you all think would be the best to go with?

thanks in advance!

Old 12-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GVN 52 is your best bet if you want a factory look.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Or if you'd like something more mobile, I'd suggest a garmin nuvi with a proclip.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:15 AM
calvinj23: What did you end up with. I'm looking into it. I have a tom/tom 4.3" screen that I've used sparingly - mostly in other car Honda CRV (the wife's car). is the GVN 52 is a Garmin unit which fixes permanently in the G or a mobule unit??

Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by almatti
calvinj23: What did you end up with. I'm looking into it. I have a tom/tom 4.3" screen that I've used sparingly - mostly in other car Honda CRV (the wife's car). is the GVN 52 is a Garmin unit which fixes permanently in the G or a mobule unit??
i actually ended up going w/a portable unit instead of the GVN 52 (which would have been installed into the car). my last car had a pioneer avic n3 installed in it, and the navigation on that was amazing. so it was alittle hard to go w/the portable unit, but after thinking about it for awhile, i figured i might as well, seeing as im not one to keep car's for too long. i usually trade in somewhere within the 2 - 3 year period since i tend to put on a decent amount of miles fast.

i purchased the Garmin nuvi 760 from Amazon. they have a great deal on it:

Amazon Amazon

i've used it twice now, and its worked great! also, this unit can be hooked into the RCA plugs in the center console, so you can display it on the screen if you want.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks Calvin. I'll look into it... How do you mount your portable: windshiled mounts (I hate em - don't like anything or wires dangling down in front of me), dashboard clip (TomTOM has a seprate unit that can be purchased customized as a specific car dashboard clip) or other setup. Let me know... THX

Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 AM
n/p

i mount w/a proclip ( http://www.proclipusa.com ), as chiem had suggested. i'm not a fan of the windshield mount, as it always leaves that mark on the window that just seems to never go away no matter how much you clean it! lol

you have to buy the two pieces seperately, but it's great!

Old 02-21-2009, 02:27 PM
I have the GVN52. I honestly think that the GVN52/53 is the ONLY way to go for a factory look. It's really convenient to use too.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:34 PM
I am using Garmin Nuvi 260W, it fits perfectly into the area where the cigarette lighter is. When the battery is fully charged you can keep it there while driving.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by paulg35s
I have the GVN52. I honestly think that the GVN52/53 is the ONLY way to go for a factory look. It's really convenient to use too.
what is the difference between these two? I really want to get an integrated aftermarket gps system for my G. Whats the install like?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:57 AM
paulg35s: I can't the info from Garmin's site on a search for the GVN 52/53. Can u help?? Is this unit a dash mounted mobile type unit or one that is permanently fixed? Similiar to the other member, I want to look into an after market unit that mounts or onstall permenantly.

The other day at a local communter train parking lot, saw a Mitsu Outlander parked with a broken passenger side window, probably robbed of an IPOD or GPS left in plain view.... The lot is patroled by security, but I am surmizing that is what occurred. It does happen a lot in commuter bus or train parking lots around here in Metro NY!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by netoperek
I am using Garmin Nuvi 260W, it fits perfectly into the area where the cigarette lighter is. When the battery is fully charged you can keep it there while driving.
netoperek: Trouble is I'm 57 years 'young', can't Read thos tiny screens .....I have TomTom with 4.3" screen, and that's still a problem. Need to use reading glasses to really see it. Don't Worry guys, if you see me on the road.... I can drive without reading glasses... "Watch out for the bus....I respond : "what Bus??

Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
The unit is a "black box" that interfaces with the factory display

Old 02-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by calvinj23
i actually ended up going w/a portable unit instead of the GVN 52 (which would have been installed into the car). my last car had a pioneer avic n3 installed in it, and the navigation on that was amazing. so it was alittle hard to go w/the portable unit, but after thinking about it for awhile, i figured i might as well, seeing as im not one to keep car's for too long. i usually trade in somewhere within the 2 - 3 year period since i tend to put on a decent amount of miles fast.

i purchased the Garmin nuvi 760 from Amazon. they have a great deal on it:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-760-Wid...5229483&sr=8-1

i've used it twice now, and its worked great! also, this unit can be hooked into the RCA plugs in the center console, so you can display it on the screen if you want.
Where can I get the rca cable? I havent been able to find it. Thanks

Old 02-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by almatti
netoperek: Trouble is I'm 57 years 'young', can't Read thos tiny screens .....I have TomTom with 4.3" screen, and that's still a problem. Need to use reading glasses to really see it. Don't Worry guys, if you see me on the road.... I can drive without reading glasses... "Watch out for the bus....I respond : "what Bus??
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=361

there's a link to the GVN 52, its now discontinued, the successor is the GVN 53...only difference is that the 53 works better under tunnels...other than that, functionality is exactly the same.

here's a thread on a DIY, a very generous member drew up for us...

https://g35driver.com/forums/tech-07...ternative.html

the gvn 52 works on the stock screen through the use of the auxiliary inputs...send some power to the unit and it works flawlessly...give me a PM if you have need any more info or help with a DIY

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best aftermarket gps for the G?