G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Popularity of 6MT sedans?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popularity of 6MT sedans?

I was surprised to speak to my dealer and get some info on the 6mt sedans that shocked me. When I got my 07 6mt sedan, they had 2 others on the lot. For 08 they only got 2 6mt's in and 1 sat on their lot for over 400 days. Needless to say they are not ordering in a single 6mt G37 sedan this year unless the car is ordered by a customer. Is the demand really that low? I understand that living in a climate with snow for 4-5 months of the year may have an effect, but I roll a set of Blizzaks and have no issues at all. What gives?

Old 12-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
When iwent to get mine they had ZERO so i had to order mine in, and boy was it worth the wait, every shift with this precise gate transmission is a like a dream, regardless of all the ppl complaining of the clutch i am very happy with it!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most drivers who can afford a car like this are either too old and lazy to drive a manual (insert complaint about rush-hour traffic plus clutch pedal being too tedious), or they have enough money to get a BMW.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Why would you believe the dealership....?

Dealing with just one dealership isn't smart. You can go on line and check all
the dealerships within a 50 mile radios and probably find the car you're looking for. I was told I'd have to order my car by the stealership in my
area, 5 minutes on line I found 2 within 20 miles exactly like I wanted.
Believing what the dealership says is like kissing your Aunt, why would
you want to....?
Gary

Old 12-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by g35_6gear
I was surprised to speak to my dealer and get some info on the 6mt sedans that shocked me. When I got my 07 6mt sedan, they had 2 others on the lot. For 08 they only got 2 6mt's in and 1 sat on their lot for over 400 days. Needless to say they are not ordering in a single 6mt G37 sedan this year unless the car is ordered by a customer. Is the demand really that low? I understand that living in a climate with snow for 4-5 months of the year may have an effect, but I roll a set of Blizzaks and have no issues at all. What gives?

Yes, demand for 6MT sedans are low. The G's 6MT has gotten some bad publicity and most Americans prefer an AT. Even out here in CA (at least in the Bay Arera) you usually won't see more than two or three 6MT sedans on a dealer's lot and that's if they have any at all. I know of one local dealer who was still trying to get rid of a GE 07 G35 6MT back in September. The dealer that I just purchased my car from has one GE 08 G35 6MT sedans (at $9,175 off MSRP) and one other BO 09 G37 6MT sedan in stock.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine was the only one on the lot when I went looking. Oddly enough, it was set up exactly the way I wanted it. Seems it was meant to be . Plus they were real willing to deal on the price.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 07G35S6MTTech
Yes, demand for 6MT sedans are low. The G's 6MT has gotten some bad publicity and most Americans prefer an AT. Even out here in CA (at least in the Bay Arera) you usually won't see more than two or three 6MT sedans on a dealer's lot and that's if they have any at all. I know of one local dealer who was still trying to get rid of a GE 07 G35 6MT back in September. The dealer that I just purchased my car from has one GE 08 G35 6MT sedans (at $9,175 off MSRP) and one other BO 09 G37 6MT sedan in stock.

Luckly I got my 07 GE G35S at my Central Valley dealership back in September of 2007. However, they had to drive it down from another dealership which was Oakland. I wonder if it was the same GE?

Old 12-22-2008, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by Iilac
Luckly I got my 07 GE G35S at my Central Valley dealership back in September of 2007. However, they had to drive it down from another dealership which was Oakland. I wonder if it was the same GE?
No, it was Niello Infiniti in Concord that had the 07. Oakland currently has the 08 GE 6MT in their showroom.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
We sold 6 6MT sedans for the 2008 model year.

All 6 were sold by me, so you can imagine what the market is like

Old 12-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I ever drive a 5AT / 7AT with a set of grounding wires I might change my mind, but so far I'm loving my 6MT.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:53 AM
6 m/t are the best I love mines I leave most A/T G's in the dust on the highway and i don't mind shifting all day it's all on the driver's preference I paid 29,850 for mines with premium and navi

Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Absolutely love my 6MT.
But we are in the minority for sure.

You'll see a far greater percentage on 'Driver then you'll see in the real world.

...One thing to keep in mind for anyone buying a 6MT.
Lease it or plan on keeping it for quite a while.
The target audience for resale is pretty small.

Last edited by InTgr8r; 12-22-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:32 PM
when we went in to get our 6MT, there was ONE in the region with nav -- and it was in Houston.

There were about 40 in the country (mostly in AZ and CA) total (we're friends with the sales person).

Luckily the dealership in Houston had requested a trade that day, so we ended up not having to worry about shipping or dealer trades. The car wasn't the exterior color we wanted, but everything else was perfect.

(I edited to say there was 1 with nav... there were a handful without nav, but we wanted the nav).

Last edited by goofygrin; 12-22-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by Joe_Camel
Most drivers who can afford a car like this are either too old and lazy to drive a manual (insert complaint about rush-hour traffic plus clutch pedal being too tedious), or they have enough money to get a BMW.
Joe_Camel,

I don't think your generalization about G owners with the 5 or 7-Speed automatic is justified. I challenge you to drive for just a week in the SF Bay area, and then decide whether you still want a manual.

Traffic congestion here really sucks and is pretty much 24/7!. I may be older than most of you guys, but I would have gotten a stick over the auto if I lived somewhere where I wouldn't be spending my daily commute stuck in traffic pretty much all of the time.

And yes, I could have bought a Bimmer, but why? The G is as good (or better) for a lot less money, in my view.

P.S. - if you live in the Bay Area, you're a better man than me!

Regards,

Old 12-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by gstais
Joe_Camel,

I don't think your generalization about G owners with the 5 or 7-Speed automatic is justified. I challenge you to drive for just a week in the SF Bay area, and then decide whether you still want a manual.

Traffic congestion here really sucks and is pretty much 24/7!. I may be older than most of you guys, but I would have gotten a stick over the auto if I lived somewhere where I wouldn't be spending my daily commute stuck in traffic pretty much all of the time.

And yes, I could have bought a Bimmer, but why? The G is as good (or better) for a lot less money, in my view.

P.S. - if you live in the Bay Area, you're a better man than me!

Regards,
I live in the Bay Area, drive a 6MT and commute 70 miles round trip each day. Actually, I've been commuting 60-100 miles a day in a MT car for the past nine years. Does that make me a better man for driving a 6MT? No.
Are there days where I wish I had a 5AT or 7AT instead? No, but then again I just prefer a MT over an AT.

That said, I can totally understand why most people would prefer an AT over MT. It just comes down to personal preference, what you feel most comfortable with and not having to deal with the hassle in bumper to bumper traffic.

Let's not turn this into a MT vs AT flame war. We should all enjoy the fact that we drive Gs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Popularity of 6MT sedans?