G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

How to finish my muffler delete?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol yeah thats what i was thinking initally, but just wanted to make it clear. Because i really dont want to unhook the hangers but i guess i have to, to pull out the pipe from the midpipe

Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Be like me, don't remove the hangers, just unbolt/screw the entire hanger piece off of the car. Like I said before, I definitely wouldn't go further than around the block with the mufflers just hanging on by two hangers.

Keep is posted!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Lol yeah, maybe ill try to figure a way to keep it secure somehow

Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm yeah i meant unbolt everything and you can just pull it off, And don't just take off the mufflers, if you like it without then get pipe made, because if you leave it the exhaust fumes would travel back into the interior and would be 1) bad for health and 2) it'll just stink like crap.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Csquared
Umm yeah i meant unbolt everything and you can just pull it off, And don't just take off the mufflers, if you like it without then get pipe made, because if you leave it the exhaust fumes would travel back into the interior and would be 1) bad for health and 2) it'll just stink like crap.
I'm not sure that either one of those will happen. I supposed its possible for some gas/fumes to get into the trunk, but I drove it with no mufflers for 3 days pretty extensively and didn't smell anything at all inside the car, outside the car, or in the trunk. But I still wouldn't keep it like that indefinitely, maybe a little bit here and there would be alright.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well just want to make sure it's safe you know, I heard some guy said in stop and go traffic he could smell stuff.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by ThirstyTurtle
I'm not sure that either one of those will happen. I supposed its possible for some gas/fumes to get into the trunk, but I drove it with no mufflers for 3 days pretty extensively and didn't smell anything at all inside the car, outside the car, or in the trunk. But I still wouldn't keep it like that indefinitely, maybe a little bit here and there would be alright.
Agreed, plus with modern emissions systems you probably wouldn't smell anything. I had a Maxima with no cats and a regular exhaust and wow you could smell it all the time; not with this.

I think you'd want to get pipes though, if anything for looks. Maybe just a couple clean/simple tips like:

Has anyone done anything yet?

Old 03-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Will something of a double wall look good....?

Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Giving it more thought, I'd like to have a muffler shop or someone who can weld tips/pipes to create something using the stock clamp system. I don't want to weld anything on the exhaust system that can't be removed.

Using the original clamp and maybe the rearmost hanger, I'm sure even the down the street muffler shop could throw something together for a very modest price.

Csquared have you done any home work yet?

Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by MtreyM
Will something of a double wall look good....?

Don't know, someone needs to photoshop it.

In all honesty, I don't want anything that stands out, but I fear having nothing stands out a lot, especially to cops if they think it's a bit loud. I'd take a simple design like the 335i.

On the 335i you can't even see mufflers, just barely the tips. I think we could achieve something similar.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Well it looks like Cali_G did a pretty decent job. I'm gonna have my gear heads look at seeing if we can do it for a reasonable amount.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Well CaliG never responded to my PM, so I guess he's not interested in my offer. I drove by a muffler shop today called "Bob's Muffler Shop", sounds like my kind of place, I'm gunna go by there sometime in the next couple weeks and get a quote.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Yeah, my buddy who looked at my setup said the v-band isn't a big deal. When I get time I'm gonna work the problem.

I made him a reasonable offer as well, no response yet. I like what he's done, but I'm only willing to pay what I think it'd cost me to get done.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by BrianV
Yeah, my buddy who looked at my setup said the v-band isn't a big deal. When I get time I'm gonna work the problem.

I made him a reasonable offer as well, no response yet. I like what he's done, but I'm only willing to pay what I think it'd cost me to get done.
ya it's definitely not a big deal, just a little lip welded to the tip of the pipe. I don't even know that what he has is worth $200, but if it saves me the time and effort of having to take it to a shop, it's worth $200 to me. We'll see if he ever responds, but I'm probably just going to go to Bob's!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:10 PM
You`'ll pay $50-$80 depending on style of tips you want, and another $60-$100 for pipes and weld with hangers. If you know the person doing the work, he can give you a better discount because theres really nothing major in it. Unless you are **** about the pipe and want to get mandrel bend

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to finish my muffler delete?