G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

XPEL clear bra installed after one year

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XPEL clear bra installed after one year

So after long debate and countless hours of homework, I finally decided to go with a clear bra even after a year on the road. I didn't want the line across my hood nor did I want to pay more to cover the whole thing, so I chose to only do the front bumper. I can tell you an INSTANT benefit from getting a clear bra is the security I feel on the road now. If only I knew of this product when I owned my '98 240sx! I went through 2 fiberglass bumpers and 3 paint jobs trying to maintain it. A simple clear bra would've saved me much money and from A LOT of headaches!

Well, I didn't have any major scratches -- only a few minor nicks especially toward the bottom of the bumper. So after installing the clear bra (it has been 4 days), I have noticed tiny bubbles around certain small nicks and this "wavy" water-looking spot on a corner. The "outline" of the clear bra is minimal. Although there is a line that runs down the middle of the bottom "lip" portion that brings back old memories of my cracked fiberglass lip!

I was told any bubbles or imperfections should go away in 2 weeks -- the time it takes for the bra to cure. If anyone with clear bras can chime in, let me know if these "imperfections" are normal. Did you have any bubbles and did they ever go away if so?

Last edited by GEEthirtyL!\/E; 04-07-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:48 AM
My clear bra had no imperfections that I could even see so I can't tell you if they dissappear. Main thing is that the company will stand behind any bubbles that don't go away after a week. I was told that the film does take a week or two in order to fully bond so don't wash the car.

The important thing is to wipe down the clear bra EVERY time it rains with something like Plexus. I was told this by the installer but I didn't do it religiously and the bra is spotted like a SOB. Very difficult to buff out, not like paint. It is only 1 year old and it looks pretty messed up. Zero nicks though so if only I had wiped down after the every rain I'd be happy.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:30 AM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Nope, never had any bubbles or imperfections in mine, but the installer that did mine told me the exact same thing, so I'm sure it's possible... just like with window tinting, I guess.

Wipe it down every time it rains? What's the deal with that? I've had clear bra's on several cars and have never heard that before, and I've never had any type of spotting. I know you should keep the car dry for the first few weeks to let the adhesive fo the clear bra cure, but after that all I do to maintain it is use ICE liquid wax on it to keep it protected and that's it... What type of film did you have on your car that actually spotted? if you don't mind me asking...

Old 04-08-2009, 03:37 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
I also have the Xpel stuff, and I don't have any problems either. I put it on a few days after I bought the car so I would have the least amount of nicks as possible (luckily I had none).

I don't wipe it down after rain, but I do wax it every time I wash the car.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:18 AM
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Nope, never had any bubbles or imperfections in mine, but the installer that did mine told me the exact same thing, so I'm sure it's possible... just like with window tinting, I guess.

Wipe it down every time it rains? What's the deal with that? I've had clear bra's on several cars and have never heard that before, and I've never had any type of spotting. I know you should keep the car dry for the first few weeks to let the adhesive fo the clear bra cure, but after that all I do to maintain it is use ICE liquid wax on it to keep it protected and that's it... What type of film did you have on your car that actually spotted? if you don't mind me asking...
I think that it is 3M or Lumar. I got it at T&T tinting which is a very reputable place in Hawaii. The application was good but I guess the film is not as good as Xpel. My film spots a little everytime rain dries on it. It does not buff out even with a Porter Cable polisher. Waxing or using Plexus makes it shine but still has the water spots.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm looking to have my front bumper repainted and some dings taken out of my hood. Does anyone know how long I'd have to wait for the paint to cure before having the xpel clear bra installed?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:41 AM
I have the venture clear bra...and I agree with the OP....I love the peace of mind while driving in the damn winter, on a gravel and salt filled highway in the GREAT WHITE NORTH.

I wish I would have discovered this stuff 10yrs ago, i had a 93 MX-6 repainted (the whole thing) and in less than six months, the front end looked/felt like someone took sandpaper and sanded the front lip and bumper from all the highway driving i was doing.

No spotting here...I waxed once last summer

AND yes, the tiny bubbles will go away...but big ones won't...

Old 04-08-2009, 03:42 PM
I think you are making the right choice. The biggest regret I have is not paying the extra $750 to get the Clear Bra when I got my G in 2007.
We got one for the wife's new 4-Runner a year ago and it has worked like a champ.
I am going to have the front bumber repainted one of these days and have it put on. For now I have ordered Dr. ColorChip to fill in all the dings.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by rustyeleio
I think that it is 3M or Lumar. I got it at T&T tinting which is a very reputable place in Hawaii. The application was good but I guess the film is not as good as Xpel. My film spots a little everytime rain dries on it. It does not buff out even with a Porter Cable polisher. Waxing or using Plexus makes it shine but still has the water spots.
Some of the cheaper films will get spots in them if water is left to sit on it.... and then the sun comes out. The water magnifies the sun into that spot and it will "burn" into the film. I have seen it before but the film I use doesnt have any issues with that.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Hmm, I wonder if the rain drenching my car within a few days of having my clear bra installed will cause any problems in the future?

Also, is it possible to clear bra your WHOLE car? Has anyone ever tried this in the history of clear bra’ing? LOL! I mean, if someone really wanted to protect the original paint this would be a good, although expensive, idea.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When it comes to clear braing the whole car, I did every pattern they had. Bumper, 1-4 hood, A-pillar, rocker panels, back bumper, area in front of sun roof, and headlights. I know it might be overkill, but I don't want any chips or mess ups.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by GEEthirtyL!\/E
Hmm, I wonder if the rain drenching my car within a few days of having my clear bra installed will cause any problems in the future?

Also, is it possible to clear bra your WHOLE car? Has anyone ever tried this in the history of clear bra’ing? LOL! I mean, if someone really wanted to protect the original paint this would be a good, although expensive, idea.
Expensive, hell ya. The Xpel kit for the entire hood is 1k by itself

Old 04-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by boss81
When it comes to clear braing the whole car, I did every pattern they had. Bumper, 1-4 hood, A-pillar, rocker panels, back bumper, area in front of sun roof, and headlights. I know it might be overkill, but I don't want any chips or mess ups.
Very nice, but I'm refering to every square inch of the car! Haha! Or do they even make cuts like that? I'm sure there's rich people out there who can request it and get a custom-cut bra for the entire car???

Old 04-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think they do, but if you get a good enough installer I bet they can do it. I would be pricey and take a long time to install.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I ordered the clear bra off ebay and did it myself. I got the pieces for the mirrors/hood/front bumper/grill outline.
It's been installed for over a year and looks just as good as any other clear bra installs that I have seen.
The mirror/hood/grill outline were easy to do taking 20 minutes. The bumper took alot of time and patience but I got it.
I can't remember what it cost (want to say $130) it came with everything including the install tools/instruction video.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: XPEL clear bra installed after one year