G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Horrible Downshift Issue on 08 AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Horrible Downshift Issue on 08 AT

Hey guys. I posted a thread now over a year ago regarding our 08 Journey G35 5AT. The problem is that when just driving in normal mode and approaching a stop the car will sometimes "Jerk" really hard as it downshifts into 1st gear. This happens at certain speeds when normally coming to a stop, as opposed to a very hard fast braking stop. Its a very noticeable jerk as it goes into 1st.

Its been really annoying for a long time now. We've taken it mulitple times to the dealership here in town but as usual here are the comments:
"Its normal, this is how all Infiniti's are"
"Have you ever driven an Infiniti before" (yes, your rentals don't do this)
"The computer shows no codes or issues" (Do mechanics no longer know how to actually turn a wrench anymore and diagnose without a laptop??)

My issue is this shouldn't be normal for a $36k car, a cheap Nissan Sentra downshifts smoother when stoping.

Has anyone else experienced this similiar issue on their cars and/or had it resolved?

Secondly, is there anyone at Nissan USA to raise the issue to. I'd probably never buy another Infiniti now (maybe a manual) due to this issue and lack of concern to help solve or explain the problem. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
My infiniti stsop very smoothly into 1st gear. Even in DS mode...its smooth during hard braking, with a very very slight kick from the engine as it downshifts.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:37 PM
My x downshifts fine in normal mode but a little hard ds.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:54 PM
'08 G35 S auto. Never had any kind of jerk or anything when slowing down. I had an '03 FX35 before and it was silky smooth slowing down as well. Don't know what the tech is talking about when he says that all Infiniti shift hard when slowing down? I don't use DS mode so I can't comment on that.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just recently had my software updated in my 07 (I have navi) for an issue with the radio. I looked up the service bulletin and it supposedly also changed the throttle response etc... Not sure if this would have anything to do with your ECU or programming or not but you can have them reflash it. Also you may want to try resetting your ECU (unplug your negative battery cable for a few minutes).

Old 04-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Ive had plenty of issues with the throttle response and the dealer dosent care. The jerk youve noticed Ive noticed when shifting in manual mode from 2nd to 1st. If you do this and accelerate, it feels like you just hit a wall, with the car not accelerating at all, then all of a sudden springing to life.

Also I hate hate hate the fact that you have to press the pedel down like 2 inches before the car reacts. And in general the throttle response is horrible. I hear the new FX has similar response. What is infiniti thinking? More people need to complain.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by kre62
Also I hate hate hate the fact that you have to press the pedel down like 2 inches before the car reacts. And in general the throttle response is horrible.
This is definitely not an issue in my car.
I only need to apply the slightest pressure to my pedal and the car springs to life.Very minor movement in the pedal is all that is needed. I certainly don't need to move my pedal 2" before it starts moving.. that's for sure.

I also don't have the rough downshifting issue.
Have you tried a different dealership? (assuming you have another one near you)

Old 04-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I would take it to the dealer and have them reflash with the latest software. I had a problem before I did this where my car would hesitate for a brief second before doing anything. They upgraded through my compact flash slot (I have navi) and it took roughly an hour. This fixed all my acceleration problems and hesitation.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Been to 3 dealerships, no one cares.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I care

Old 04-16-2009, 04:34 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I’m guessing you are driving in DS mode. The transmission can indeed shift up and down agressively in DS mode by design. This is much more obvious with a shift kit installed.

If you drive around like a grandmother in DS mode, the transmission will behave like it is in D mode. However, if you drive, stop or corner more aggressively in DS mode, the transmission will hold shifts longer AND downshift more aggressively.

The DS mode aggressive shift algorithm changes back to normal shifting after the car is stopped - but it will go back to aggressive shifting if you drive that way.

Hope this makes sense.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by terrycs
I’m guessing you are driving in DS mode. The transmission can indeed shift up and down agressively in DS mode by design. This is much more obvious with a shift kit installed.

If you drive around like a grandmother in DS mode, the transmission will behave like it is in D mode. However, if you drive, stop or corner more aggressively in DS mode, the transmission will hold shifts longer AND downshift more aggressively.

The DS mode aggressive shift algorithm changes back to normal shifting after the car is stopped - but it will go back to aggressive shifting if you drive that way.

Hope this makes sense.
This was exactly what I was going to say. I love the aggressive shifting in DS mode. FANTASTIC! Love M mode now too, especially now that my M shift lag is all but gone. However, I don't see this matching what the original poster is describing.

No issue here in D at all. Very smooth stopping and downshifting.

Also I hate hate hate the fact that you have to press the pedel down like 2 inches before the car reacts. And in general the throttle response is horrible.
Huh? Pretty much the exact opposite here. Sometimes a bit too touchy off the line for my wife and daughter's liking. "Dad!?" Why are you always driving around like it's a race car?" I have heard comments like this after a normal take off.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Ok.. I know that you drive a 5 AT but when would you need to downshift into 1st in M mode unless you are at a complete stop or at least close to it?

If I drive in the M mode, I never down shift all the way to 1st when coming to a stop.. only down to 2nd gear. Samething w/ any manual car I've owned.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by J2S2M
Ok.. I know that you drive a 5 AT but when would you need to downshift into 1st in M mode unless you are at a complete stop or at least close to it?

If I drive in the M mode, I never down shift all the way to 1st when coming to a stop.. only down to 2nd gear. Samething w/ any manual car I've owned.
This is a good point. I missed the 1st gear statement in the OP.

I don't think the D or DS shifts into 1st until close too or at a stop. Nor do I when in M mode. Just down to 2nd to get some engine assistance on breaking.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Ive had plenty of issues with the throttle response and the dealer dosent care. The jerk youve noticed Ive noticed when shifting in manual mode from 2nd to 1st. If you do this and accelerate, it feels like you just hit a wall, with the car not accelerating at all, then all of a sudden springing to life.

Also I hate hate hate the fact that you have to press the pedel down like 2 inches before the car reacts. And in general the throttle response is horrible. I hear the new FX has similar response. What is infiniti thinking? More people need to complain.
I couldnt agree with this comment more. Terrible throttle tip in. They said the 07 was too sensitive so they desensitized the 08's. Now you have to 3/4 floor it for the car to accelerate quickly. And it does feel like you hit a brick wall when you downshift and accelerate hard, even from third to second. I hate the lag when you accelerate hard from a stop. It sounds like the car takes a deeeeeep breathe and then blows.

Maybe I just expect too much from this car. But I swear at times it responds well and Im impressed. Then other times not so impressive. I know some ppl will say the ECU adapts to you're driving style. Me personally I like to cruise when Im ready, but when I need power I expect it to always be there...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Horrible Downshift Issue on 08 AT