G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Status-Elite intake installed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True! Lets see some dyno #'s !! But why are people so concerned about heat soak? We don't have a turbo'd car to get a super heated engine bay. We don't have fast N/A G's. We are more torwards the luxury side than sport. These intakes look bad asssss. But how much hot air do you really suck in? Take a look at the picture, dont most hot air get pushed back of the car anyways and all cold air coming from air ducts get sucked in from the front? I'm not an airflow tester or anything, but jsut looking at the concept.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Why spend $800 to give up ANY performance? I think there's a great reason why the engineers designed the oem intake that way

Old 05-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks good, sweet looking engine bay dude.

I would really like to see dyno numbers for this thing though.

Well people were going on and on about how the Fujita intake sucks because of heat soak, I know that our engines do get really hot though. Some guy did a scientific test on the fujita and Stock air temp on myg37, there was like no difference if i remember correctly. I know after i installed my intakes i could get my wheels to chirp when i floored it in second, I wonder if it'll still do it now with my hFCs and exhaust...

Old 05-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
The OEM intake actually has a pretty amazing design to keep the air cool. I dont think any intake can compete with the OEM except for a CAI

Old 05-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
dashiet pop open your hood after 15-20min of SPIRITED driving then tell me how the engine bay feels, also most ppl add intakes for sound and some gains, not for losing power and while the effects of heat soak would be minimal on highway speeds you would really feel the down side of heat soak in city and traffic area driving.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by san~man
Nope, don't want one and never even CONSDIERED buying one. I'm not sold on the hype, and surely wasn't sold on the overinflated dyno numbers they stated.

Yup, to each their own. That's the beauty of free speech and the internet.

It's a bunch of crap when it's used as a one of their selling points to justify the insane price they're asking for it.

Doesn't that totally blow their claims of superior manufacturing, best this, best that, we're up there with XXX and YYY, etc etc yadda yadda? If you want, I can quote their claims from g37.com on how their product was "supposed" to be so great. As the OP in the thread stated, 1 bad product out of 22 isn't the best quality control, I mean, how hard can it be to check 1 out of 22 $800.00 intakes?

I didn't compare their product to the big boys, they did. One also has to consider the exchange rate in dealing with JDM stuff, as the dollar isn't as strong. I can't imagine how much SE would ask if this was made in Japan lol

Because one can or can not afford it isn't an issue here. I can afford it, sure, but choose not to plop down my hard earned money for a product from a start up company with inflated gains, sub-par quality control, and sold partly on the basis of a "limited run product." I'm sorry, for me that's bs.

However, if you feel that it's worth it, by all means spend your money. It's YOUR money, but it's MY opinion. I'd just as soon by an R2C that (1) costs less, (2) filters as good or better, (3) makes the same gains or better, and (4) isn't severly overpriced.

In the end, do what you want and so will I.
Again, you are comparing it's performance to others and also talking about it's gains as if they are no good; how do you do so when not having used the product.

There is a thread on myg37 and the issue was resolved. Ok, 1 intake had one area with a defect. Again, what happened in that situation? The individual is getting a choice between a replacement or a full refund plus $50 off towards a future purchase. That's going above and beyond customer service. Point is, they resolved the issue at no expense to the buyer.

I wouldn't mind trying out their intakes, but unfortunately they do not make one for the DE motor.

I really feel no need to argue about the details of the customer's incident since it has been settled.

Although internet is free speech, there should be some sort of discretion. Talking about how a product is worthless and pointless because of one's opinion and NOT having used the product is not quite valid, it's not a fact, it's merely an opinion, however, some people do not recognize that and they may not be able to make a decision for themselves and join the bandwagon and thus, this can hurt a company. I've seen it happen in the car audio world when in fact the company made great products.

My whole point is that people should not say a product is crap because it's expensive, etc without actually having used it. After using the product, then if you don't feel it's worth it, it's completely understandable. Sometimes, many times, people mistake opinions for facts.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
On Status-Elite G37, IIRC it makes 268whp with stock and 282whp with these intake. So that was a 14whp gain. I took it on the freeway right after the installation, I can feel the power gain right away. But, I still need to reset the ECU to let it re-calibrate to gain more power out of it.

Sure the stock intake is a good design, but there is always room for aftermarket company to make some improvement. Otherwise, why do we mod our car?

I don't understand how some people just hate on quality products come with higher price tag, don't be too greedy buddy... you do get what you paid for.

For the fitment part, it was because the intake is huge and the power steering fluid bottle was rubbing it, the issue has been fixed. These intakes do fit the sedan perfectly now.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by donpisto
Again, you are comparing it's performance to others and also talking about it's gains as if they are no good; how do you do so when not having used the product.

There is a thread on myg37 and the issue was resolved. Ok, 1 intake had one area with a defect. Again, what happened in that situation? The individual is getting a choice between a replacement or a full refund plus $50 off towards a future purchase. That's going above and beyond customer service. Point is, they resolved the issue at no expense to the buyer.

I wouldn't mind trying out their intakes, but unfortunately they do not make one for the DE motor.

I really feel no need to argue about the details of the customer's incident since it has been settled.

Although internet is free speech, there should be some sort of discretion. Talking about how a product is worthless and pointless because of one's opinion and NOT having used the product is not quite valid, it's not a fact, it's merely an opinion, however, some people do not recognize that and they may not be able to make a decision for themselves and join the bandwagon and thus, this can hurt a company. I've seen it happen in the car audio world when in fact the company made great products.

My whole point is that people should not say a product is crap because it's expensive, etc without actually having used it. After using the product, then if you don't feel it's worth it, it's completely understandable. Sometimes, many times, people mistake opinions for facts.

I base my facts on a product on many things:

1. Is a design innovative enough to justify a price?
2. Are the gains the maker is claiming realistic?
3. Price point versus gains?
4. Looks?
5. Performance?
And many other things. What I based my opinion on the SE intake was this:

1. Gains. Reported 24HP gain. On an N/A motor? SHeesh, do they think we were born yesterday? No intake for my FI 3 makes that much or even claims anywhere close to that. That raised the first flag for me.

2. Construction. Nothing was innovative on the intake, other than perhaps the velocity stack. But that alone wouldn't justify the price nor the reported performance gains. The tubing isn't made out of any unique material, nor are the filters, so what justifies the price?

3. Build. Obviously, they dropped the ball on #1 of 22. Whether or not they rectified the situation (which they did), that's **** poor quality control. I'm not speaking about customer service, which they obviously have a good handle on, I'm simply speaking of quality control.

4. Marketing. This is a problem for me. When they tout their product to be better made than everyone else, when they compare themselves to the Japanese products, and when they push the limited quantity as their selling points and then don't deliver, then to me they've already damaged themselves.

Now, can you HONESTLY tell me that for $800.00, what you get is worth it? I'm not arguing, but I'm hoping you're not one of the people who fall into the realm of "since it costs the most it must be the best," as there seems to be a lot of them over on myg37. If you logically consider the points I made above in answering the question I just asked, you'd have to say "no."

I said my peace, I'm done.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by dashiet
...But why are people so concerned about heat soak? We don't have a turbo'd car to get a super heated engine bay. We don't have fast N/A G's. We are more torwards the luxury side than sport. These intakes look bad asssss. But how much hot air do you really suck in? Take a look at the picture, dont most hot air get pushed back of the car anyways and all cold air coming from air ducts get sucked in from the front?
Heat soak = Engine sucking in hot air = Power loss. It's as simple as that. When i was playing around with the Thermo i noticed the stock airbox was just as hot as my front rotors after driving home from work on a hot day. So the engine bay does get rather hot.

The air coming through the front grill/duct goes to the stock airbox directly, it doesn't fill-up the engine bay per se, except perhaps indirectly through the radiator. With most of the SRI's, the air duct does terminate where the SRI filters are, but the filters are no longer exclusively being served "cold" air from those ducsts as they're now also sucking in air from the other open areas surrounding it. (i.e., whereas the stock airbox has a vacuum grip on the air coming through the ducts, SRI's don't)

Old 05-05-2009, 04:38 PM
I base my facts on a product on many things:

1. Is a design innovative enough to justify a price?
2. Are the gains the maker is claiming realistic?
3. Price point versus gains?
4. Looks?
5. Performance?
And many other things. What I based my opinion on the SE intake was this:

1. Gains. Reported 24HP gain. On an N/A motor? SHeesh, do they think we were born yesterday? No intake for my FI 3 makes that much or even claims anywhere close to that. That raised the first flag for me.

2. Construction. Nothing was innovative on the intake, other than perhaps the velocity stack. But that alone wouldn't justify the price nor the reported performance gains. The tubing isn't made out of any unique material, nor are the filters, so what justifies the price?

3. Build. Obviously, they dropped the ball on #1 of 22. Whether or not they rectified the situation (which they did), that's **** poor quality control. I'm not speaking about customer service, which they obviously have a good handle on, I'm simply speaking of quality control.

4. Marketing. This is a problem for me. When they tout their product to be better made than everyone else, when they compare themselves to the Japanese products, and when they push the limited quantity as their selling points and then don't deliver, then to me they've already damaged themselves.

Now, can you HONESTLY tell me that for $800.00, what you get is worth it? I'm not arguing, but I'm hoping you're not one of the people who fall into the realm of "since it costs the most it must be the best," as there seems to be a lot of them over on myg37. If you logically consider the points I made above in answering the question I just asked, you'd have to say "no."

I said my peace, I'm done.
I started to rebuttal against all of what you wrote but it would be a waste of energy and my fingers get enough exercise elsewhere.

But my answer would NOT be no. When asking if $800 is worth it for the intake, I say it depends. It could be very worth it. If it's gets me great gains, then yes it is worth it.

I also don't think the more expensive the product, the better. In some situations though, the more expensive product IS better.

I honestly don't think we'll see eye to eye. You just don't seem to be the type of person that is willing to spend money on a product even though it would be worth it, which is fine...and it doesn't matter whether you have the money or not, because there are some people that do not have the money for it, but wouldn't mind using it.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
24hp gains is pretty outrageous don't you think? And we all know to take a maker's dyno gains with a barrel of salt. Fujita, Stillen etc... all enflate their dyno numbers.

Only vendor that seems to be realistic is Motordyne.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by donpisto
I started to rebuttal against all of what you wrote but it would be a waste of energy and my fingers get enough exercise elsewhere.

But my answer would NOT be no. When asking if $800 is worth it for the intake, I say it depends. It could be very worth it. If it's gets me great gains, then yes it is worth it.

I also don't think the more expensive the product, the better. In some situations though, the more expensive product IS better.

I honestly don't think we'll see eye to eye. You just don't seem to be the type of person that is willing to spend money on a product even though it would be worth it, which is fine...and it doesn't matter whether you have the money or not, because there are some people that do not have the money for it, but wouldn't mind using it.
Guess I'm not done. You don't know me, because if you did, you'd find that I'm willing to spend money on a product if I see a reason why I'm spending my money on it.

For example, my 3 has an Eisenmann exhaust (you may or may not know who they are) on it. The reason I purchased it were many: I considering all the things I spoke of during my decision.

Was it the cheapest? Absolutely no. It ended up costing almost 3 grand.
Was it constructed well? Of course, it's made in Germany lol
Does it sound the best? To me, yes
Have they been around a while? Absolutely yes.
Do they have a good reputation? Of course.
Etc etc.

As a general rule of thumb, I try to buy the best product in the catagory I'm shopping in, regardless of price, as long as I can justify what I'm spending my money on. I try to do the most research I can before I buy, allowing myself to make an informed decision based on non-biased reviews.

That's where I'm coming from. We may not see eye to eye, but at least we're civil about it

Old 05-05-2009, 04:50 PM
San~man, I realize you are throwing in your point of view about the product. But in the end, threads are still started by the thread creator and his appreciation. Show off his new mod is because he is satisified and should not be bashed. I am new to this board, but MY thoughts are that you have stated your point. Dont get too worked up about it. And let the owner of this vehicle drive off happy. Everything seemed to work out just fine for him and he is off on his way. These appreciation pictures posted look awesome on his G! :thumbsup:

Old 05-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Guess I'm not done. You don't know me, because if you did, you'd find that I'm willing to spend money on a product if I see a reason why I'm spending my money on it.

For example, my 3 has an Eisenmann exhaust (you may or may not know who they are) on it. The reason I purchased it were many: I considering all the things I spoke of during my decision.

Was it the cheapest? Absolutely no. It ended up costing almost 3 grand.
Was it constructed well? Of course, it's made in Germany lol
Does it sound the best? To me, yes
Have they been around a while? Absolutely yes.
Do they have a good reputation? Of course.
Etc etc.

As a general rule of thumb, I try to buy the best product in the catagory I'm shopping in, regardless of price, as long as I can justify what I'm spending my money on. I try to do the most research I can before I buy, allowing myself to make an informed decision based on non-biased reviews.

That's where I'm coming from. We may not see eye to eye, but at least we're civil about it
Ok, I can see where you're coming from. It seems your standpoint is that you wouldn't buy it based on a few things you look for (the 4 things you mentioned previously). My standpoint is that people should not put down a product without actually having used it. Opinions are made and sometimes people mistake them for actual fact.

So I guess we do see eye to eye, and I can respect your decisions. The reason why I even got into people making opinions without using a product is because I have been in that situation. I have been the person making a claim, without using the product. Once I actually got a demo, it felt like a slap in the face. When people ask for opinions on such things, I try to be specific by stating whether or not I have experience with it and what I've heard and I try to make it clear it's my preference, and that other people have different preferences.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Why spend $800 to give up ANY performance? I think there's a great reason why the engineers designed the oem intake that way
Why do people spent thousands on LARGE HEAVY rims to give up performance AND mpg?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Status-Elite intake installed.