G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Navigation update price reduction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation update price reduction

I've been lurking for so long that I forgot my login, so I'm not new here, although this is my first post as DallasTiger.. Anyway, I noticed the formerly $190 upgrade for the Nav just went to $149. The link to the $190 upgrade at www.navigation.com/infinitix8 doesn't even work anymore. It's now www.navigation.com/InfinitiX8Promo I guess all the comments I've been seeing about it being too much for the upgrade (on top of paying for the install at the dealer) was taken to heart by Navteq.

I was wondering if anyone has gotten the upgrade, and if they have noticed any new features on it worth the $149. North Dallas has some new suburbs that when I'm up there, my navi thinks I'm driving across pastures or something. It's kinda funny.

But, more importantly, if anyone has had the service bulletin applied for the radio station preset problem where you cannot scroll through all of the presets if you have FM and XM on the same screen. Mine won't go from FM to XM presets properly, and I read that the fix was to update the navigation software. I was holding off on buying the upgrade in case the "fix" also loaded the new nav software without having to pay Navteq for the update. Does anyone know?

P.S. I did search, but the search brought up so much irrelevant postings that I thought I'd start a new one. Feel free to beat me, or move the posting as necessary. Thanks guys.

Dennis

Old 05-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
good find im interested in the update.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you cannot scroll through your presets, the update will fix it. dealer wont charge you.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I got the promo in the mail last week
It didn't mention any updates to the gracenote DB, which I was also hoping would be brought up to date.
The promo listed the $149- price, but it also had fine print stating that it had to be installed by your dealer and tha additional charges for installion would be added.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:41 PM
So you're saying the fix for the preset problem will be the updated navigation software? I saw a TSB on it, but can't seem to find it anymore. That would be great news, if so. Thanks!

Originally Posted by pwebb
if you cannot scroll through your presets, the update will fix it. dealer wont charge you.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:45 PM
The gracenote DB update would be sweet. As it is, I know we can update it ourselves, but it seemed like more trouble than it was worth. I saw a DIY on it in the owners manual. Also, I figured Infiniti wouldn't cut their service charge for the installation, but a $45 break on the software license from Navteq is helpful at least. If it's true that the fix for the preset scrolling problem includes the latest nav version, then hopefully I can avoid both charges

Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I got the promo in the mail last week
It didn't mention any updates to the gracenote DB, which I was also hoping would be brought up to date.
The promo listed the $149- price, but it also had fine print stating that it had to be installed by your dealer and tha additional charges for installion would be added.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:57 PM
I have a copy of the updated navigation on the 07+...

Old 05-19-2009, 03:38 PM
So was the upgrade worth it, or did you get it "complimentary" as part of the scrolling preset fix?

Originally Posted by KING ROCKS G
I have a copy of the updated navigation on the 07+...

Old 05-19-2009, 04:26 PM
just bought a copy of 6.7 on ebay for $25...hope it works

Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you get the "update" from the TSB for scrolling through presets, it doesn't actually update your nav. It uses the compact flash port, however they only update the ECU (throttle control) and also the radio software (I'm not sure about the DB with music titles). The maps are completely separate from the other systems. I had the same exact maps, which I would have to pay for the update in order for them to do it (I think they issue a serial number that is tied to your vehicle).

Old 05-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Excellent! That's exactly what I wanted to know. I didn't want to pay for the new maps, if they were going to come with the update for the scrolling preset issue. But since they don't come with it, I can get the code I need from Navteq and have it all done at one time, saving a 2nd trip. I am curious what the ECU has to do with the radio software though. That makes me a little nervous. I had the "fix" to correct the abrupt throttle response, and have been happier with the smoother acceleration, since then. Oh and by "Excellent"..at the beginning of the post, I meant you knowing for sure that the update for the presents won't update the maps - not "Excellent! I am excited that I get to pay for new maps instead of getting them free!" hehe.

Originally Posted by jack090
If you get the "update" from the TSB for scrolling through presets, it doesn't actually update your nav. It uses the compact flash port, however they only update the ECU (throttle control) and also the radio software (I'm not sure about the DB with music titles). The maps are completely separate from the other systems. I had the same exact maps, which I would have to pay for the update in order for them to do it (I think they issue a serial number that is tied to your vehicle).

Old 05-20-2009, 02:15 PM
i was going to have the update for the radio presets done, but the dealer wasn't sure if it was going to wipe out my hard drive music, so i opted not to do it until i was sure it wouldn't wipe my music.. that would be REALLY annoying..

Old 05-20-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm having it done next Thursday. I'll let you know! It's annoying now to have about 500 track 1, track 2,...etc. with no names or artists on there. I wish it were easier to update the gracenote db.

Originally Posted by markk132
i was going to have the update for the radio presets done, but the dealer wasn't sure if it was going to wipe out my hard drive music, so i opted not to do it until i was sure it wouldn't wipe my music.. that would be REALLY annoying..

Old 05-26-2009, 01:29 AM
Has anyone actually shopped around dealers in a large urban area to see if in this economy, some dealers might actually cut the price of the CF Navigation upgrade process. With the reduction to $149 it would be sweet without having to pay over $100 for the dealer to do the upgrade. These are tough all over and that can yield competition for our business with multiple dealers within a short distance. Does anyone know if this same navigation system/upgrade is used in the Nissan high end cars as well (so that a Nissan dealer could also toss their hat in the ring for your business for the labor to upgrade.)

Old 05-28-2009, 05:27 PM
I called two dealers in Atlanta and spoke to three different people.

One guy - the supposed manager - through email quoted me 99 bucks for the upgrade procedure.
From the same dealer and over the phone, some random service guy quote me 165 for the procedure.

Then I called another dealer entirely and got a quote of 88.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Navigation update price reduction