G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Aftermarket Navi?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Navi?

Hi there, first post.... names DJ.

I just bought an '07 G35x without Navi. Is it possible to install the Navi in it now? Is it hardware or just software? How much does it cost?

Thanks in advance for the help! Nice site!

G's ROCK!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:16 PM
If you do a search on this site you will find a DIY post on installing a Garmin GVN navigation system that wires direclty to the AUX in your sound system.
I installed the Garmin GVN 53 a few months back and it works great. The only con is that you have to go AUX to use the nav so you can't listen to the radio while using the navigation on your display.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Yeah that type of thing is what I was afraid of... Is the factory navi a whole different head/sound unit and screen? You can't just put Navi in on a non-Navi system?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
it would cost more to do than if you had bought it with the option from the factory. any reason you didnt buy one with navi?

Old 05-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes the Navi has touch screen/ Head unit/ Compact Flash port/ Harddrive for the maps/ different software that will record music. It would be very expensive to replace everything.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Darn, guess I'll stick with the Tom Tom.

I couldn't find a black on black g35x with navi in my price range... meh well.

thx for the help fellas!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:36 PM
I was thinking of doing the same in my X but the retrofit would cost over $5k's on parts alone. Hope this helps.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:26 AM
I have a Tom Tom also: Have you tried the different mounting options? I have used the old Fashioned way - on the windshield. I hate that... I've seen on Tom's web site various mounting options includinga A/C dash type that clips on. Curious if anyone has tried it.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:11 PM
i just open the old "nav compartment" and stuck the coin slot thing from the center console in there and set my garmin with the stand on top of that, fits fine

Old 05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by DtotheJ
Yeah that type of thing is what I was afraid of... Is the factory navi a whole different head/sound unit and screen? You can't just put Navi in on a non-Navi system?
It wouldn't be very cost efficient. It'd cost you much more than should you have just got it with the car.

Among a few other little things, you'd have to replace the steering wheel as it has the buttons to make using voice command much easier. You'd also have to replace the buttons beneath the LCD screen.

If you went with a 3rd party navi system and went with the excellent DIY write up which shows how to hook it up to your LCD screen, I'd strongly suggest buying a navi system with a built in hard drive and a remote that way you can use that to hold lots of songs and use the remote as a very easy way to change songs.

Anyway, welcome to Driver, enjoy the G. I've had mine for over a year and whenever I engage in "spirited driving" it still puts a smile on my face.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by frybecker
If you do a search on this site you will find a DIY post on installing a Garmin GVN navigation system that wires direclty to the AUX in your sound system.
I installed the Garmin GVN 53 a few months back and it works great. The only con is that you have to go AUX to use the nav so you can't listen to the radio while using the navigation on your display.
yeah, but you could just plug in the video (yellow) while leaving the audio inputs to an mp3 player...this way you can shut off the annoying voice from the navi and listen to the ipod simultaneously...

Old 05-30-2009, 02:05 PM
There is also the Kenwood CarPortal system that you could look into. You can mix and match the parts for what you want to do. I don't remember if I found it on here or on mygfrenzy, but there was a discussion about it. They have a screen that will fit perfectly in the factory location and it is a touchscreen. Then you just buy everything else seperate i.e nav, ipod, processor. This will also help out if you plan on doing an aftermarket speaker setup. It will also still work with the factory applications. So you will still see the maintenance schedules, MPG and all that other stuff. Im not on my computer right now, but once i get to it, ill find the link and post it on here.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Is it not possible to go to Infiniti and get one of the originals installed?

Old 07-24-2009, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by DtotheJ
Darn, guess I'll stick with the Tom Tom.

I couldn't find a black on black g35x with navi in my price range... meh well.

thx for the help fellas!
Word. I picked up a black on black g35x (2007) with navi about a month ago from Ardmore, Pa.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jack090
Yes the Navi has touch screen/ Head unit/ Compact Flash port/ Harddrive for the maps/ different software that will record music. It would be very expensive to replace everything.
Originally Posted by mzpnai
Is it not possible to go to Infiniti and get one of the originals installed?
It's possible but I listed everything that had to be changed out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Navi?