G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Tracked the G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that danged coupe held you up! Coupe does not = better driver

You gotta run VDC OFF and M mode! It's so much more exciting, let the tail hang out a little - teaches you a lot about catching a car in a slide. Turn off those electronic nannies!

And the M mode will hold the gear until you shift, it's not like one of the manumatics that still shifts when it thinks is best.

Where did you mount your finicky camera? I've mounted a camera by duct taping it in between the headrest mounts on the passenger side haha - it worked admirably well, but not the best angle.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Sounds like a great day SM!
HPDE FTW.

..I have a day coming up this Friday, but not in the G

Old 06-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by MojoKidd
Good write up. Congratulations on tracking your G. I've done it a couple of times and had a blast each time, adrenaline is addictive. Sorry to hear you got stuck behind some slower traffic. Keep going and get moved into a group that fits your abilities. I found that the stock brakes held up pretty well considering the abuse they were getting. However, the last session of the second day I did experience some vibration. I ended up with about 2mm of front OEM pad remaining. I also kept the car in auto DS mode for most my sessions, with VDC on. I wasn't out to set any records, plus I had to drive to work on Monday. Regardless, It was very fun.

I've heard that MSR is a very nice track, did you and the Z guys get a group discount? I ran at TWS (College Station), a 2 day HPDE, pretty reasonable priced ~150/day.

You've got to get some in car video. Here's a couple of videos from when I tracked the G at TWS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJknzrc4-r8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TdmisWVOYE
You can't forget this one:

Old 06-22-2009, 07:21 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by popcornten
You gotta run VDC OFF and M mode! It's so much more exciting, let the tail hang out a little - teaches you a lot about catching a car in a slide. Turn off those electronic nannies!...

Where did you mount your finicky camera? I've mounted a camera by duct taping it in between the headrest mounts on the passenger side haha - it worked admirably well, but not the best angle.
Hey, i'm a noob at this. VDC is my friend. Perhaps next time, with less people around the track. Our group had the most cars so it was a bit crowded. I tried M for a couple of times, but it took my focus off the turns so i put it back in DS. On the upside, i do keep VDC off and go into M mode when i'm playing in loose gravel. Low-speed fish-tailing is fun!

I used a
Panavise Panavise
, stuck to the sunroof with the camera mounted upside down. It wouldn't fit on the windshield even with the (then) included extension. But for $19, i'm not complaining. In the past i had a similar set-up as yours, albeit using a
Gorillapod Gorillapod
instead of duct tape, it http://gshack.org/g/index.php?album=injen-sri&image=InjenSRI-OnRoad.mp4 surprisingly well but tends to vibrate every now and then.

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Okay, which car will it be?

Originally Posted by Gdrift
Close call indeed. How does one get out of a situation like that? Apply more throttle and point back to the track?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Looks like too much fun. Glad to see more G's getting out there. I can see why the brakes didn't fade- nice wide open turns. Thanks for posting the vids.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Sounds like a great day SM!
HPDE FTW.

Okay, which car will it be?
M Coupe

Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 PM
I used a Panavise, stuck to the sunroof with the camera mounted upside down. It wouldn't fit on the windshield even with the (then) included extension. But for $19, I'm not complaining. In the past i had a similar set-up as yours, albeit using a Gorillapod instead of duct tape, it worked surprisingly well but tends to vibrate every now and then.
This is what used, worked great. http://www.filmtools.com/cruisecam.html
Tracked the G-cinemasupplies_2059_97837085.jpg

Close call indeed. How does one get out of a situation like that? Apply more throttle and point back to the track?
Please realize turn 7 is a high speed corner, I was doing 90+mph when I hit the inside curbing, early apex. <- NOT Good. That threw all the weight of the car to right side wheels. I knew I didn't want to go off to the right, it can get ugly over there. So once the right side wheels went off, I jerked it back to left and the rear end broke loose and I got sideways. The only thing to do was apply brakes, turn the wheel right and hang on. I'm glad I had VDC on at this point. Pucker factor was still a 10+.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:39 AM
Heres another example of early apexing

This is at My home track,Willow Springs ,in Rosamond Ca.
Turn 9 is a high speed decreasing radius turn.A NASA particapant died in this turn last year.I have spun out in turn 9 Myself at around 110 mph.
The driver in the below video tried to get back on the track after going off into the dirt.He should have stayed off in the dirt, and gradually come to a stop while steering straight.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by gypsy
This is at My home track,Willow Springs ,in Rosamond Ca.
Turn 9 is a high speed decreasing radius turn.A NASA particapant died in this turn last year.I have spun out in turn 9 Myself at around 110 mph.
The driver in the below video tried to get back on the track after going off into the dirt.He should have stayed off in the dirt, and gradually come to a stop while steering straight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ygjttKdF4
Wow, that's one of the worst crashes I've seen on video, I'm glad he was OK. Tracking your car is a very serious, you can go from having a good day to having a bad day in about 2 seconds.

In my case... I'm thankful that I had VDC on, it probably helped me control the car and go off relatively straight. It's very easy to roll your car, going off side ways. IMO; I don't think the VDC on '07+ G slows the car down very much, it's very unobtrusive. I'm no expert driver, so the VDC is nice to have just in case you need it.

Last edited by MojoKidd; 06-23-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Thats me tracking the car down here in PR...

The G is no weekend warrior but it held up pretty good in the track. Fortunately for me track is very fast and brake fade wasn't an issue. For track use, SS brake Lines will help...

Old 06-30-2009, 02:45 AM
I love seeing people getting the bug. its incredibly addicting (and expensive). I love the track. Only thing keeping me from going at the moment is needing new tires ($$). Glad you had a good time. The G is no track hack but can hold its own reasonably well.

Originally Posted by MojoKidd
I don't think the VDC on '07+ G slows the car down very much, it's very unobtrusive. I'm no expert driver, so the VDC is nice to have just in case you need it.
I'd have to disagree. I had differing experiences on the track. I'm no expert driver but have lots of track experience on a bike so I knew the lines. I have an 07 coupe 6mt, all stock. At California Speedway I needed to turn off VDC right away. It would trigger as soon as I was trying to get the power on. With the wheels sliding gently on turn exit the car would grab its own handful of brake, lol. I also found the car wants to understeer a bit also exacerbating my VDC issue.
I also got serious brake fade. Ironically never noticed it on the track but coming into the pits I got nothing first time I tried to slow down, lol. Scared the crap out of me.

I love the track. I hope you make it out again soon. its so much damn fun! Thanks for sharing your experience and video!

edit:
streets of willow springs

Old 06-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
^ i've read that the VDC system on the V36 was changed to be less obtrusive from prior years.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
ah, I see. well it was still way too obtrusive in my 07 g35.
Doesnt matter really-all that matters is having a good time at the track!