G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

N to D and back again.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by popcornten
i drive M-mode 99% of the time also. So there have been those 1% times where I forget and I'll try and upshift from D right into N ha - big revs, makes me look dumb but oh well.

I go to N a lot sitting at stop lights, just so as to not hold the brake.... Unlike other cars I've had/driven (bmw most notably), the G will let you go from N to D without touching the brake which is great for me, but probably an overlooked safety feature
hmm i think most cars u can go from D to N without brakes if i recall. i just hate that 3rd gear thud sometimes when driving in M

Old 07-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Quick OT question for y'all who stick with M/DS... does the TC lock-up at all and how does it affect mpg?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Quick OT question for y'all who stick with M/DS... does the TC lock-up at all and how does it affect mpg?
Sorry Mike... I'd answer your question if I understood it. It's early ya know.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:20 PM
uh.. call me stupid but how do you switch into "M" .. I had the car for over a year and I never seen a "M", just "D" and "DS" ..an another overlooked feature? hmmm...

Old 07-09-2009, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=i just hate that 3rd gear thud sometimes when driving in M[/QUOTE]

I hate that too. If you let off of the gas at the same time you shift into 3rd I get a hard thud. Didn't know if that was normal or not.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by xfactor78
yeah same thing happened to me when i was driving downtown. I was resting my hand on the shifter and then i accidentally knocked it to neutral and it revved up a bit and i just switched it back, it was incredibly smooth. Got some stares too...I felt like a ricer
haha thats what happened to me on the second day I had the car :O

Old 07-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Gdrift
uh.. call me stupid but how do you switch into "M" .. I had the car for over a year and I never seen a "M", just "D" and "DS" ..an another overlooked feature? hmmm...
Either go into DS and shift manually with either the shifter or paddles. This will put you into M mode and you must go back to D to leave M mode.

Or hit the paddles at any time for temp M.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:17 PM
What is TC?

Driving in DS hurts your mpg. Driving in M likely does as well, but of course you control your RPMs so its up to you. My guess is that most who drive in M mode drive it fairly hard.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by NationsMostWanted
hmm i think most cars u can go from D to N without brakes if i recall. i just hate that 3rd gear thud sometimes when driving in M
maybe its just BMWs. I hated getting caught out in Neutral at a light or something, then instead of being able to smoothly catch Drive. You'd have to apply the brakes before shifting, especially bad if you're rolling because you have to completely stop!!!

TC? traction control? torque converter?

Originally Posted by chapter29
What is TC?

Driving in DS hurts your mpg. Driving in M likely does as well, but of course you control your RPMs so its up to you. My guess is that most who drive in M mode drive it fairly hard.
I'm sure driving in DS will hurt it, but M mode can be more economical. Like in a stick, you can quick shift and keep your revs super low - also there's no kick down if you accelerate say at highway speeds, so no downshift/high revving to pass - just a smooth torquey 5th gear

Old 07-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Sorry, TC = Torque Converter.

I've tried going full "manual" to keep revs low, but i guess i just can't get it right as a good number of times it just won't do anything for being too low in the rev range, i have better luck just leaving it in D as far as that's concerned.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Sorry, TC = Torque Converter.

I've tried going full "manual" to keep revs low, but i guess i just can't get it right as a good number of times it just won't do anything for being too low in the rev range, i have better luck just leaving it in D as far as that's concerned.
ah, well what would happen if the TC locked up? how would I notice that? I've never noticed anything weird

yeah, there's been times I've short shift too quick and it won't shift yet but I've almost "perfected" driving the phony-manual haha; I love the paddles

mike - we're having a houston group meeting at uptown park tonight, are you coming?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:31 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I've only thrown mine into neutral by being a complete moron and forgetting that I'm in drive and not in manual mode.
Makes me feel better I'm not the only dumbazz that's done this.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by popcornten
ah, well what would happen if the TC locked up? how would I notice that? I've never noticed anything weird

yeah, there's been times I've short shift too quick and it won't shift yet but I've almost "perfected" driving the phony-manual haha; I love the paddles

mike - we're having a houston group meeting at uptown park tonight, are you coming?
Just slightly better gas mileage if the TC locked up in DS or M, i would guess. In full-auto that's basically what it does... in some transmissions you'll actually feel it locking, but on the G i can't tell at all regardless of which mode it's on.

I told Ryan i couldn't make it tonight -- between picking up the kids, cooking dinner and driving halfway through town, it just wasn't happening. I hope it turns out well!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Makes me feel better I'm not the only dumbazz that's done this.
+1 here. I think that's about 1/2 dozen of us now that admited to this.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Just slightly better gas mileage if the TC locked up in DS or M, i would guess. In full-auto that's basically what it does... in some transmissions you'll actually feel it locking, but on the G i can't tell at all regardless of which mode it's on.

I told Ryan i couldn't make it tonight -- between picking up the kids, cooking dinner and driving halfway through town, it just wasn't happening. I hope it turns out well!
hmm, i'm not sure? I get sh!tty mileage either way; i can however get like 21-22 on the highway now "cruising" (which includes lots of speed variations between 70-90)

I told ryan at dinner last night you are single-handedly the reason I don't ever want to have kids!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: N to D and back again.