G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

N to D and back again.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
N to D and back again.

The tranny accidentally went from D to N while cruising at 45mph. I brought it back to D and noticed the transition was rather smooth.

Unlike previous auto-equipped cars, where similar transitions would be akin to a bang in the tranny, the G would see none of it.

I got curious and tried it intentionally across different speeds and rpm ranges and noticed the same smoothness, and i could detect a bit of rev matching in the process.

Is it just me, or is the computer actually smart enough to compensate for such odd (and normally, rare) gear changes?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah it's happened to be before too and the transition was smooth. No jerking or anything.
I guess the computer does compensate for it.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
The tranny accidentally went from D to N while cruising at 45mph.
By itself?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ lol

Old 07-08-2009, 12:23 PM
lol. Sorry, no not by itself, my passenger hit it.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah same thing happened to me when i was driving downtown. I was resting my hand on the shifter and then i accidentally knocked it to neutral and it revved up a bit and i just switched it back, it was incredibly smooth. Got some stares too...I felt like a ricer

Old 07-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd beat my passenger if they touched my shifter (unless it was a girl and she was reaching over for something, wink wink)

Old 07-08-2009, 03:37 PM
I thought that is the way auto transmissions work. On my first car,a 91 corolla, I would accidently knock it into N and have to shift it to D. I remember asking somebody about it, and they explained that it was a fail safe so that if your car stalled while in motion, you could restart it without pulling over.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I realize that's how it should be, but what's unusual is how smooth the transition is. In any of my previous cars there's an apparent "knock" - as if it was banging right back into a gear, whereas on the G it's almost as if nothing happened, or rather as if it actually thinks about which gear to go back into, at which rpm, to keep it smooth.

I don't recommend trying it out only because i have no idea what damage it may cause, but i did a cruise, drop to neutral, revved the engine, let go of the gas and placed it back on D... no jerks, bangs or knocks, just one smooth transition from N to D.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I've only thrown mine into neutral by being a complete moron and forgetting that I'm in drive and not in manual mode.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I've only thrown mine into neutral by being a complete moron and forgetting that I'm in drive and not in manual mode.
Ahh man...

I was going to post how I did this very thing. I guess I was being a moron.

I shift back and forth from D to DS and periodically in M. I am guessing I will eventually do it again as often as I am switching.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by chapter29
Ahh man...

I was going to post how I did this very thing. I guess I was being a moron.

I shift back and forth from D to DS and periodically in M. I am guessing I will eventually do it again as often as I am switching.
I'm in "M" 99% of the time cause I don't like the sudden downshifts and rips from 50 -> 100MPH with the slightest touch of the gas while in "D" mode.
I'm trying to get used to D mode more now though, as I seem to get 3-4 MPH more when driving calmly.
In "M" mode, I always seem to hand in one gear too low, keeping the RPMs higher than they need to be.
Problem is, I always forget I'm in "D" now that I'm so used to "M"

Old 07-08-2009, 09:16 PM
DS is primary mode. It is very aggressive both accelerating and up shifting on breaking. The downside for me is that when I want to go back to "normal driving" its, of course, ready and waiting with high RPMs. So I switch over to D for a short period of time to bring those R's down and then back to DS I go.

I go to M periodically just because its fun.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
I'm in "M" 99% of the time cause I don't like the sudden downshifts and rips from 50 -> 100MPH with the slightest touch of the gas while in "D" mode.
I'm trying to get used to D mode more now though, as I seem to get 3-4 MPH more when driving calmly.
In "M" mode, I always seem to hand in one gear too low, keeping the RPMs higher than they need to be.
Problem is, I always forget I'm in "D" now that I'm so used to "M"
i like to keep it in 3rd when in M mode in traffic but DS mode on longer trips with less stops.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 AM
i drive M-mode 99% of the time also. So there have been those 1% times where I forget and I'll try and upshift from D right into N ha - big revs, makes me look dumb but oh well.

I go to N a lot sitting at stop lights, just so as to not hold the brake.... Unlike other cars I've had/driven (bmw most notably), the G will let you go from N to D without touching the brake which is great for me, but probably an overlooked safety feature

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: N to D and back again.