G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is there any difference in feel between X and S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
This home has been costing me quite a bit of money every time I log on but I do love it!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sk00pie8
Trey,
Would love an XS but only come in 08 and compared to the prices of an 07 the newer year is a little more then I'm looking to spend.
As far as the X vs. S wheels go, I personally prefer the S. The X wheels are nice in person but I feel the larger S wheel look a little better. Also the front bumper of the S enhances the looks.
Aeson,
Just lookin to get some 2nd opinions and maybe some do's and dont's before I take the plunge. Why a plate frame?
Ahh - got it. Missed that detail.

For me, if the xS didn't exist, I'd get an S. I'm not crazy about the front fascia and wheels on the regular X's (I think it's moslty the size). The other bits like the sport seats, stitching, etc also add to the car.

A couple of things to think about:

1. Have you sat in an S model? The seats are nice but they are a bit constricting so if you're not used to that, you may want to stay away from the S.
2. Do you have a 2nd car for winter? I know the "enthusiasts" here will tell you otherwise, but I live in NY, and snow tires alone is not always enough. I've had a FWD car that even with Blizzaks was only marginal in the snow. My AWD cars (that my wife drives) are much better in the snow with All-Seasons. Put some snow tires on it and you'll be unstoppable. With my previous cars all being RWD sport models, I've always had a 2nd car for snowy days.
3. With the 2010's around the corner, the prices of the 08's should come down around January. Maybe just hold off for a little bit and get the best of both worlds with an 08 xS (if you can deal with an Auto).
4. Check out sites like www.leasetrader.com or www.swapalease.com for cars that are close to lease end. You can pick up a late lease and then buy out the car at its residual value. May or may not be worth it. Here's one I found in Brooklyn (not sure if you're in the NE). The buyout is obviosuly a typo but you have a loaded xS with 7 months left on the lease and only 6,600 miles on the odometer. You may have to pay to join the service in order to even contact these people though. http://www.leasetrader.com/2008_Infi...D_146573.xhtml

Old 08-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Why can't Infiniti (or do they) make an X with a stick?

I remember when I first looked into getting one back in early '04, the dealer told me the AWD system was too "high-tech" for it to matched with a stick. Lamest thing I've ever heard. Anyways, does anyone know the real reason? Is it just "they don't want to"?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutland
Why can't Infiniti (or do they) make an X with a stick?

I remember when I first looked into getting one back in early '04, the dealer told me the AWD system was too "high-tech" for it to matched with a stick. Lamest thing I've ever heard. Anyways, does anyone know the real reason? Is it just "they don't want to"?
That is something that I just can't understand either. I can't figure out why they don't make an X with stick. I would think that Nissan would be all over it for those who live in snowy climates and want stick. I don't have an answer but I would like to see them finally come out with one down the line.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 AM
That licence plate frame is pretty sick looking. Anyway going to try to test drive an S today. I've never sat in its sport seats or used it's paddle shifters so defintly want to give that a shot.
As far as the leasing websites go they seem cool but ill be financing the car.
How is it to maintain the S, wheels, breaks, etc?
Lastly how bad is it in the show compared to an FWD car. I have a 98 Altima now and in the show its pretty terrible.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:20 AM
what license plate frame are we talking about here?

Old 08-27-2009, 11:21 AM
And Skoopie.

Are you expecting a 300 HP RWD car to be better in the snow than a 98 Altima? If it is, I'd be surprised.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
That licence plate frame is pretty sick looking. Anyway going to try to test drive an S today. I've never sat in its sport seats or used it's paddle shifters so defintly want to give that a shot.
As far as the leasing websites go they seem cool but ill be financing the car.
How is it to maintain the S, wheels, breaks, etc?
Lastly how bad is it in the show compared to an FWD car. I have a 98 Altima now and in the show its pretty terrible.
My G has been great... maintenance is not that bad if you do most of it yourself. Things lke air filters and cabin filters are easy to do yourself. I bring mine in for oil because I dont like the hassle of finding a home for my old oil.

As for the sport seats... I love them and I hate them. I love the bottoms. The leg extensions make it more comfortable on longer rides and the seat holds you in better while making 60 mph corners
The seat backs on the other hand... not for me. They are way too narrow and confining for my liking. My back and shoulders are just too wide for that to be a comfortable seat (and I'm not that big of a guy). You have to remember that these seats were designed for the Japanese market, and the average person is a tad smaller than us over-eating Americans. Some people have taken their cars in to professionals to have the side bolster plates removed and this makes for the perfect seat. If I ever pick up another G with sport seats, that will be my very first mod.

My friend has an 09 GTR. Those seats are even more narrow. I hate them.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:27 AM
what license plate frame are we talking about here?
https://g35driver.com/forums/accesso...available.html

And Skoopie.

Are you expecting a 300 HP RWD car to be better in the snow than a 98 Altima? If it is, I'd be surprised.
I'd put money on the fact that my car, when equipped with it's snow tire package, is WAY better than any 98 Altima in the snow or ice.
Absolutely no doubt about it.

RWD on the other hand.. I don't think so

Old 08-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Yes, AWD should beat out both FWD and RWD...

Old 08-27-2009, 11:35 AM
and of course, my work computer won't download the pictures of the frame. that sucks!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:59 AM
and of course, my work computer won't download the pictures of the frame. that sucks!
Try this for now. I had to reduce it from 2MB to 100K so it probably looks like ****, but you hopefully can get the idea...

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Frame1.bmp (99.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 08-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Good point on the 300hp RWD not comparing to my 150hp FWD Altima in the snow lol. How bad are we talking about in say a few inches of snow on a recently plowed road? My Altima and all season tires would get me from A to B as long as I drove slow and kept the RPM's down but would the S be much much harder to control? Anyway the part of NY I'm from doesn't get hit too hard with snow maybe 3 storms a winter with a few flurries mixed in. I drove with my buddy in his 06 Z in the snow, should it compare to that?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:53 PM
I know my friend had an '05 G35 Coupe that he got rid of because he couldn't deal with it in the snow anymore. He lived in Lower Fairfield County, CT.

I wouldn't guess that any powerful rear wheeler is going to do well in the snow though.

But if you were okay in the Z, I'd say the G35 Sedan should be marginally better if not equal. <- just a guess.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Good point on the 300hp RWD not comparing to my 150hp FWD Altima in the snow lol. How bad are we talking about in say a few inches of snow on a recently plowed road? My Altima and all season tires would get me from A to B as long as I drove slow and kept the RPM's down but would the S be much much harder to control? Anyway the part of NY I'm from doesn't get hit too hard with snow maybe 3 storms a winter with a few flurries mixed in. I drove with my buddy in his 06 Z in the snow, should it compare to that?
They say the sedans are better than the coupes, but you are still going to have to know how to drive in the snow to be successfull. Having the 6MT will help as you can start off in 2nd to help avoid wheel spin.
The X models have a snow mode which reduces wheel spin by lowering the throttle response and the power to the wheels and also engadges AWD in a 50/50 format to all four wheel when it takes off from a stop. The S doesn't have snow mode, but it does have 2nd gear and many people are just fine with that.

Honestly, it depends on the driver.

Last edited by AesonVirus; 08-27-2009 at 04:25 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there any difference in feel between X and S?