G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G37 Oil question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by pfarmer
Not only good quality but there is some that in some ways are better than the average syn oil.
Reference? I'm genuinely curious here.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Reference? I'm genuinely curious here.
I posted one example of one oil reported to have benefits over the average syn oil.

Syn oil is most likely more consistant then most dyno oils but the dyno oil is closing this gap.

Another factor is what is really syn oil or what is dyno oil. Many syns are actually blends and in the case of dyno oil almost all are basically blends. Right now I am using the Nissan Ester as sort of a test for purposes of mpg based on claims of better lubrication during at least certain operating conditions. As of now I can not state one way or the other as my air filters need to be changing but my mpg has stayed almost exactly the same. For the first 1500 miles or so it seemed to be up about 1 mpg.

The biggest benefit of syn oils I see for the average driver is lifespan. I mention average in the sense of average for all cars. The stated temperature benefits of syns are rarely reach. How many go 10 k - 25 k miles between oil changes that syns can go?

Going back to my post, notice that I state some in the case of dyno oils and average in the case of syns. One issue to note is who actually makes any oil, you will find you are down to just a few.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by blnewt
pfarmer, what is the fill oil in the G? I'm assuming it's the Ester oil.
I may be able to check on this with a couple of techs I know, that is if they really know.

My personal understanding was that Nissan switched to Ester factory fills for their coupes once the noise issue was identified and the recommendation was put in place for cars with the noise issue. From an economic standpoint this may well have been the case since it may well be cheaper than any other oil in bulk (for Nissan).

Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does that one person statement about Nissan's recommendation (sounds close to requirement) for the GTR outweigh Nissan's recommendation (not requirement) for the 'G'?

Note the reasoning for this and also note the viscosity difference in regard to the GTR versus the 'G':

------------------------

. Mobil 1, 0W-40 (100% synthetic) is
the factory fill oil. The VR38 engine
with its plasma-sprayed bores was
developed using this oil. NISSAN
cannot ensure proper engine operation
and durability if other 0W-40
synthetic oil is used. If Mobil 1, 0W-
40 is not available, Mobil 1, 10W-40
(100% synthetic) may be used; however,
some performance loss may
be noticed.

-------------------------------

This is also probably a partenership as well, much like the one for Chevy in regard to the Corvette which has it printed right on the engine.

I never said what you implied. I addressed the statement by you that Nissan basically doesn't think "Synthetic is best", especially when the owner's manual of the GTR says to use Mobil1 0w-40:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/pdf/2009-Nissan-GTR.pdf

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...expensive.html

http://www.nissangtrclub.com/showthread.php?t=1933

If synthetic wasn't best, then why use it in the GTR?

I think you will find that Nissan's Ester Oil is not a full synthetic. This would mean that in Nissan's eyes that point number three is not valid.

However the ester oil is a recommendation, what is required is in the owners manual.
Have you ever considered that it would be a cost issue? Are you claiming that Nissan believes that synthetic oil isn't the best?

Last edited by geronimomoe; 09-29-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: More information
Old 09-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by blnewt
pfarmer, what is the fill oil in the G? I'm assuming it's the Ester oil.
Factory fill is Mobil1 0w-40.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my opinion is use synthetic if your driving highway mostly otherwise the dealer oil is good too =\

Old 09-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
Factory fill is Mobil1 0w-40.
Duh. Misread your question. Factory fill in the GTR is Mobil1 0w-40. Don't know what the factory fill of the G is.. My bad..

Old 09-30-2009, 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
I never said what you implied. I addressed the statement by you that Nissan basically doesn't think "Synthetic is best", especially when the owner's manual of the GTR says to use Mobil1 0w-40:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/pdf/2009-Nissan-GTR.pdf

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...expensive.html

http://www.nissangtrclub.com/showthread.php?t=1933

If synthetic wasn't best, then why use it in the GTR?

Have you ever considered that it would be a cost issue? Are you claiming that Nissan believes that synthetic oil isn't the best?
I am claiming that for the 'G' they appear to believe the Nissan Ester oil is best for the job for the Prince. They recommend it. It doesn't matter what they require in the GTR even if it was sewing machine oil (which by the way is basically the direction research is moving).

Old 10-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
O'Reilly/Checker auto parts has 5qts of Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 Oil filter for $29.99 thru Oct. 20th, so I guess it's going to be Mobil 1 for me bye bye coventional oil, it's been a good run