G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

car sputtering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car sputtering

it happened to me today while I brought the car to a stop the car felt like it wasnt getting gas and sputtered and then shut off. I had a hell of a time getting the car to start again . once I got on the freeway I floored it and it seemed to stop until I came to a stop again.

I had a half tank of gas left so it couldnt be that, thanks

Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be crapy gas tho.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Take it to the dealer! That sounds serious!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:17 PM
I was thinking I received bad gas but I doubt it. I need to wait till monday to get to the dealer because they are closed. I need to go on monday so need to make an appt, hopefully my car will make it to work.............sucks I gotta sit at the service dept on my b-day!

Old 10-04-2009, 02:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by G420
I was thinking I received bad gas but I doubt it. I need to wait till monday to get to the dealer because they are closed. I need to go on monday so need to make an appt, hopefully my car will make it to work.............sucks I gotta sit at the service dept on my b-day!
It may be worth it to put an OBD reader on it and see what codes were generated if any. If it is under warranty just have them come and get it.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I've seen this problem many times, on many cars, some guys had this problem on the G as well. It's a dirty throttle body.
Obviously take it to the dealer as you're still on warranty, they'll clean it out for you (a bigger job than it sounds), but I'm 99% sure that's the problem. Let us know!

Old 10-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by johnnyzee
I've seen this problem many times, on many cars, some guys had this problem on the G as well. It's a dirty throttle body.
Or a bad tank of gas. I am 99% sure it is something that can not easily be diagnose over the Internet with the information provided.

Are there any codes being tossed?

Old 10-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
it's a dirty TB problem !
take it to the dealer n tell them that u have a dirty throttle body to be cleaned !
just tell them this otherwise they will not find it out !

Old 10-04-2009, 02:54 PM
ok ill let them know to check the throttle body.....also Im not getting any cel lights or codes

Old 10-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
stuff like that won't make a CEL appear, codes . .ummmm maybe .

Old 10-05-2009, 02:20 AM
ok ill let them know to check the throttle body.....also Im not getting any cel lights or codes
Are you not getting any codes by what is displayed on the dash or did you use an OBD reader to see if you had any?

Maybe a throttle position sensor. Maybe bad gas. Maybe a piece of cellophane on the air cleaners. Hard to tell on the internet.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pfarmer
Or a bad tank of gas. I am 99% sure it is something that can not easily be diagnose over the Internet with the information provided.

Are there any codes being tossed?
No codes will pop up on this issue. It's happened to me and others way too many times (on all kinds of cars) and dirty TBs are definitely the common problem for this exact symptom. They get dirty from the crankcase recirculation (oily vapours from the case go back into the intake due to emmissions laws and build up around the TB flap and idle air control valve.). I think I even read this somewhere being part of infiniti's maintenance to clean the TB at some point.

And believe me, first time it happened to me, it wasn't an easy diagnosis. I just want to save someone else a headache if I can.

Good Luck OP, let us know what the issue was.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by johnnyzee
No codes will pop up on this issue. It's happened to me and others way too many times (on all kinds of cars) and dirty TBs are definitely the common problem for this exact symptom. They get dirty from the crankcase recirculation (oily vapours from the case go back into the intake due to emmissions laws and build up around the TB flap and idle air control valve.). I think I even read this somewhere being part of infiniti's maintenance to clean the TB at some point.

And believe me, first time it happened to me, it wasn't an easy diagnosis. I just want to save someone else a headache if I can.

Good Luck OP, let us know what the issue was.
johnnyzee,

I have no doubt that you had it happen to you and it may well end up being the issue. I also have no doubt that there are literally dozens of other issues that will match the description present and since we are not in his car at the time it occurs we nor even the very best of the best of techs can state what the issue is over the Internet. While codes may or may not be generated with the throttle body they certainly will be generated by many of the other situations that will mimic the description present in the post. A bad tank of gas as mentioned by one poster is just one of these and if the issue suddenly crops up after a fill up then that would be the first place I would look. If it cropped up after a air filter change (which happend to me) that would be the first place I would check. However if it just crops up the first place I would check is to see if it drop some codes. New cars often drop cookie crumbs on the trail of its woes.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:17 PM
it happened to me today while I brought the car to a stop the car felt like it wasnt getting gas and sputtered and then shut off. I had a hell of a time getting the car to start again . once I got on the freeway I floored it and it seemed to stop until I came to a stop again.

I had a half tank of gas left so it couldnt be that, thanks

Another possibility that may need a procedure done:

Idle Air Volume Learning (IAVL)

This will cause a car to not want to idle at a set value, sometimes too high, sometimes way too low.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Well I took the car in today and received another loaner. Its funny on the way to the dealership my cel light came on and when I took my foot off the accelerator the car kept on going . I had to ride my brakes all the way there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: car sputtering