G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35 Vs G37?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
i think it was around 10k total installed. the thread below is a self install diy. gtm is also making a supercharger for the 370z/g37.

http://myg37.com/forums/engine-drive...2-install.html
10k eh.

That's pretty damn good. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pfarmer
Or maybe it just seems like it was slower. You have a couple of sound enhancing mods that do change various performance curves at the same time. I would have to look at your intake again but if I remember this particular one correctly one reason I would consider it is that it adds a little bit of sound to the engine without negatively affecting the normal torque curve of the engine over pretty much the entire range and adds a little bit of punch at the top end. Some actually decrease performance compard to stock in some areas. So to me your intake probably doesn't really come into play that much in comparison.

Your exhaust on the other hand I think may have some characteristics very different from stock. And then there is the sound which always changes how we perceive performance. It would be interesting to have a dyno on a stock G37 and the same dyno done on yours for comparisons with a time set of factors recorded as well.
believe me . . a good exhaust system like FI or Invidia will win the competition here with no doubt . . my car runs totally different now, not because of the wrong messages that the system's sound may sends them right to my head, but i did conclude this in a practical way . . acceleration test ( before & after) !
and all i got is a results !!

as for the CAI systems . . I may have no faith on them , tho i'm planning to get one very soon

Last edited by Glover997; 11-07-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Glover997
believe me . . a good exhaust system like FI or Invidia will win the competition here with no doubt . . my car runs totally different now, not because of the wrong messages that the system's sound may sends them right to my head, but i did conclude this in a practical way . . acceleration test ( before & after) !
and all i got is a results !!

as for the CAI systems . . I may have no faith on them , tho i'm planning to get one very soon
On my Chrysler I lost some on the low end and gained on the top with a Magnaflow system. It sounds faster but it really wasnt' from 0-50, above that it seemed noticeably faster such as freeway merges, etc. So really not sure what a 1/4 mile time would have shown before and after. My guess is in its case would have been very similar. No question in my mind what a 1/2 mile run would have shown on the other hand.

This is actually shown in some exhaust systems with removable resonators. For street use some of these are not only quieter but faster as well, at the track no question, the resonators come out. In a drag race between the two situations, well it just may be almost the same in a 1/4 mile. While I don't doubt it in your case as far as what you have measured, my bet is that most will conclude performance improvements based on noise even if none really existed.

One reason I mentioned a time weighted dyno comparison is that you could have two identical curves based on simple rpm comparisons with totally different response times. That is you could have identical values for torque at 4k, at 4.5k, and at 5k, but the amount of time it takes to spool from 4k to 5k could be far apart.

Last edited by pfarmer; 11-08-2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Defratos
Now just make sure you guys aren't street racing, do it somewhere safe!!
Nope--we are both airline pilots and aren't going to risk our careers over a street race, trust me. Moroso speedway is just an hour north!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
That is you could have identical values for torque at 4k, at 4.5k, and at 5k, but the amount of time it takes to spool from 4k to 5k could be far apart.
I don't understand how that's possible; a given amount of torque will accelerate a load at a specific rate. More torque will accelerate that load faster. So if you have the same amount of torque - why would there be a difference (assuming same engine)?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
I don't understand how that's possible; a given amount of torque will accelerate a load at a specific rate. More torque will accelerate that load faster. So if you have the same amount of torque - why would there be a difference (assuming same engine)?
A given amount of torque at a given rpm will do a given amount of work over a given amount of time.

This is not the same thing as being in a car and accelerating from an rpm of 4k to 5k. Most dynos charts I have seen do not show time weighted changes which is dependant on many factors such as fuel delivery techniques, electronic delays associated with the command to change rpm levels, and so on.

One example would be the difference between a NA vehicle and one boosted with a turbo or a supercharger. You could have 3 engines with exactly the same numbers at various rpms with totally different results when it comes to either the strip or the track. Even two turbos could give identical numbers but the spool up times could be much different between them.

The difference in terms is the difference between average acceleration - change in velocity over time, versus instantaneous acceleration - acceleration at a specific point in time.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or maybe it just seems like it was slower. You have a couple of sound enhancing mods that do change various performance curves at the same time. I would have to look at your intake again but if I remember this particular one correctly one reason I would consider it is that it adds a little bit of sound to the engine without negatively affecting the normal torque curve of the engine over pretty much the entire range and adds a little bit of punch at the top end. Some actually decrease performance compard to stock in some areas. So to me your intake probably doesn't really come into play that much in comparison.

Your exhaust on the other hand I think may have some characteristics very different from stock. And then there is the sound which always changes how we perceive performance. It would be interesting to have a dyno on a stock G37 and the same dyno done on yours for comparisons with a time set of factors recorded as well.
Yep, I thought about that and sure it is possible. I tried to be very objective. Honestly I don't know, but I will tell you that the difference was not marginal. Likely a combination of things. Sound, ECU learning, Parts on my car do help some and maybe the gearing as well.

I have nothing against a G37 mind you and did like the extra gears on the highway. I may very well get one in a year or two. I was just a bit taken back by the lackluster performance. I am sure that I will get one, tweak it out and it will be just fine.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:53 PM
I've ran a couple G35's recently , think they were stock(auto and 6MT), and I pretty much walked them especially from a roll. There was no chance for them, but...I do have basic bolt ons (intake/test pipes/catback), so guess it doesn't really count.

My cousin also has an 06 350z(auto) which has the VQ35HR motor right? and he doesnt stand a chance either , and we ran numerous times, all of this was on closed private roads of course

Old 11-10-2009, 01:14 AM
^^^ what do you drive?

I've ran with 3 different 350Zs.

All 3 of them were 04-05 model. I've rolled 40KPH, and even 80KPH with two of em, they don't stand a chance. Even if they floor it before me. I gained on em easily, and I had a 2-3 cars lead infront . My G is stock at the moment not a single bolt is installed. However one Z had a intake (AUTO) and the other had full bolt-ons (MANUAL).

I had one run from a 40KPH roll with the 3rd Z (MANUAL) who got a one car lead infront of me which really surprised me. It sounded stock, and the owner claimed the same aswell.

I would like to have a friendly run with a G37, either a coupe of or a sedan. Just to see how much it will pull away from me and vice versa.

If I could arrange to have a run with one this weekend I will post up the results.

Note: This is done, or will be done on a closed runway in the middle of our endless desert.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:36 AM
^ 08' G37 auto, but yeah 04-05 350z dont have the HR motor yet , so that would have a noticable impact on the outcome. Also, I'm probably guessing your G is a +06 model since your pullin on older model 350s

Old 11-10-2009, 03:09 AM
Yep its an 08.

But the older models shouldn't be as easy as this ya? Becuase they're lighter than our cars.

Plus they weren't stock.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by chapter29
Yep, I thought about that and sure it is possible. I tried to be very objective. Honestly I don't know, but I will tell you that the difference was not marginal. Likely a combination of things. Sound, ECU learning, Parts on my car do help some and maybe the gearing as well.

I have nothing against a G37 mind you and did like the extra gears on the highway. I may very well get one in a year or two. I was just a bit taken back by the lackluster performance. I am sure that I will get one, tweak it out and it will be just fine.
Everything I have seen seems to indicate there is very little difference between the two latest versions (07, 08, and 09) ATs. To me doesn't mean there are not some other advantages but probably not in the way of drag racing.