G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Lock your keys in trunk - easier than the interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pfarmer
Is there anything in the trunk or is it empty.

There are a couple of antennas that detect key position, one of which is for the trunk. So could be an issue with the antenna (or its ability to detect the key such as maybe its location inside the trunk), an issue with the BCM, and am not sure of this but maybe an issue with the trunk open sensor. If I remember correct if the truck thinks it is open it will not try to open. I believe you should see an indication on your gauge cluster if that is the case but maybe not if it fails.

I would take this to a dealer since if it is the BCM this may be just the tip of the iceberg as far as failure of the BCM.
I can leave it anywhere in the trunk and the trunk is empty. Weird. I remeber on my 07 I could not do it. I just tried to do it since this thread came up and go figure I can do it on my 08. I have to go to the dealer next Friday so Ill ask them to look into it.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tg1234
I can leave it anywhere in the trunk and the trunk is empty. Weird. I remeber on my 07 I could not do it. I just tried to do it since this thread came up and go figure I can do it on my 08. I have to go to the dealer next Friday so Ill ask them to look into it.
Make sure your key battery is good. If that doesn't change anything then I would take it in based on my 08 manual which states it should:

'Lockout protection
To prevent the Intelligent Key from being accidentally
locked in the trunk, lockout protection
is equipped with the Intelligent Key system.
When the trunk lid is closed with the Intelligent
Key inside the trunk, the outside buzzer will
sound and the trunk will open.'

Just before this statement is this:

'Do not push the door handle request switch
with the Intelligent Key held in your hand as
illustrated. The close distance to the door
handle will cause the Intelligent Key system
to have difficulty recognizing that the Intelligent
Key is outside the vehicle.

After locking with the door handle request
switch, verify the doors are securely locked
by testing them.

To prevent the Intelligent Key from being left
inside the vehicle, make sure you carry the
key with you and then lock the doors.

To prevent the Intelligent Key from being left
inside the trunk, make sure you carry the key
with you and then close the trunk.

Do not pull the door handle before pushing
the door handle request switch. The door
will be unlocked but will not open. Release
the door handle once and pull it again to
open the door.

The Intelligent Key system (opening/closing
doors with the door handle request switch)
can be set to remain inactive. (See ªVEHICLE
INFORMATION AND SETTINGSº in the ª4.
Monitor, climate, audio, phone and voice
recognition systemsº section.)'

So this brings up this question. Do you have the key in your hand when you open the trunk in the first place. One would think the reverse would be true, that is if too close to the sensor that it would be more likely to open the trunk since it thinks the key was inside when you push the button, but maybe it confuses it a little bit.

One thing I notice when dealing with the gas filler door is that it operates differently if you unlock the door with the manual door lock rather than the switch. How are you getting out of the vehicle? I haven't tried the trunk but is there any logic there that affects the trunk?

Have you tried unlocking the trunk by the drivers seat to see if that is working?

Old 11-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Empty trunk, battery in fob is one month old, not holding key in trunk and locking, just walking up to it, pressing either fob button or spoiler lip button to open, toss in, close locked trunk, walk upstairs to retrieve other fob. I haven't checked the switch in glovebox.

BCM?? Can a Bacon Cheese Mayo sandwich actually fail???

Yeah, I'll definitely run this one by the dealer on my upcoming service.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:58 PM
I had my fob in my hand. Locked the door with the buttom on the door. Walked to the trunk put the fob with the key in the empty trunk and closed it. Try to open does not open. Tried it with new battery and same result. I'll ask them Friday. I'll let you guys know.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by G354me
Empty trunk, battery in fob is one month old, not holding key in trunk and locking, just walking up to it, pressing either fob button or spoiler lip button to open, toss in, close locked trunk, walk upstairs to retrieve other fob. I haven't checked the switch in glovebox.

BCM?? Can a Bacon Cheese Mayo sandwich actually fail???

Yeah, I'll definitely run this one by the dealer on my upcoming service.
Yep it can fail. I believe it makes a difference on if the car is locked or not. If the car is unlocked it may not open since you have access to the trunk through the armrest. I may need to try this on my 08. Maybe it follows the same logic as the doors which is it will unlock after 1 minute.

I asked about if you had the key in your hand when you opened the trunk only because of the effect it has on the doors if you do the same. On the doors if you are too close to the handle it may not know if the key is inside or outside when you activate it. I don't think that should matter, but..........

Old 11-22-2009, 07:12 PM
something is wrong w/ the BCM. might want to get it looked at. (body control module) (TCM=transmission) etc.

the BCM is smart like you can lock the keys in the trunk cause it knows the doors are open. but normally if your doors are locked and you close the trunk on your keys the trunk should open. same goes for if you leave the keys on the trunk, and try to lock the door, the doors will not lock.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:56 PM
I had my fob in my hand. Locked the door with the buttom on the door. Walked to the trunk put the fob with the key in the empty trunk and closed it. Try to open does not open. Tried it with new battery and same result. I'll ask them Friday. I'll let you guys know.
Are you holding the fob in the same hand that you are using to lock the door? If so does the door stay locked after one minute? If not it may think the key fob is inside the car and the doors are actually unlocked. If I remember correctly if the doors are unlocked the trunk may not open with the key inside since you have access to the trunk from inside the car.

If this turns out to be the BCM it is an expensive item and this discovery of yours may turn out to be a good thing in the long run.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:34 PM
OK I tried to keep the fonb in my pocket and lock the door. Than walked to the trunk put the fob in and lock it. Locked it and kept staying locked for few minutes before I've got my other key and opened the trunk.

I'll let them figure out what the heck is going on. But you are right it is most likely the BCM. We shall see. Good thing I tried it for fun. Otherwise I'd be pissed if I did it by accident and had no other key on my.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I found out my 07 doesnt stop me from locking keys in the trunk a while ago. Closed the trunk and it definitely did not open back up, I had the drivers window down b/c I was testing it so I just popped it from there. The interior is a different story b/c I have accidentally left my keys in the car and it wont let me lock them in there.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:14 PM
OK I tried to keep the fonb in my pocket and lock the door. Than walked to the trunk put the fob in and lock it. Locked it and kept staying locked for few minutes before I've got my other key and opened the trunk.

I'll let them figure out what the heck is going on. But you are right it is most likely the BCM. We shall see. Good thing I tried it for fun. Otherwise I'd be pissed if I did it by accident and had no other key on my.
It sounds like time to take it in. Seems likely that it is either the BCM or the antenna as long as the fob works properly everywhere else. I assume you already tried locking the key in the car to see if it works properly there as well. I also assume you have tested this with the other set of keys.

So far mine has worked well there but I have really tested the trunk that match. For me I usually carry the key in my pocket but sometimes that pocket is my coat pocket and on several occasions I left the coat in the car and found out the system works good for the doors.

One thing to remember about the batteries for the fobs is that just because you put in a new battery that doesn't mean it really is a new battery. Often these batteries sit on the shelf for long periods of time before they are sold. I always buy from a store with a lot of turnover such as Target, etc. (also much cheaper).

Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by pfarmer
It sounds like time to take it in. Seems likely that it is either the BCM or the antenna as long as the fob works properly everywhere else. I assume you already tried locking the key in the car to see if it works properly there as well. I also assume you have tested this with the other set of keys.

So far mine has worked well there but I have really tested the trunk that match. For me I usually carry the key in my pocket but sometimes that pocket is my coat pocket and on several occasions I left the coat in the car and found out the system works good for the doors.

One thing to remember about the batteries for the fobs is that just because you put in a new battery that doesn't mean it really is a new battery. Often these batteries sit on the shelf for long periods of time before they are sold. I always buy from a store with a lot of turnover such as Target, etc. (also much cheaper).
Be honest with you never tried it. I know I couldn't lock the door few weeks ago when I left the jacket in the car with my key in it. I'll give it a try in the morning m aybe 9 ish. It is like 3 in the morning here. I don't think my wife would appriciate if I start opening and closing the doors. I don't like to sleep on the daybed. LOL

Old 11-24-2009, 08:53 AM
OK here it is. I tried to lock both of my keys in the car. It does not lock them in the car. I can lock both of them in the trunk anytime and everytime. I tried to lock the door first and put the keys in the trunk and close it. Than I tried to put the key in the trunk close it and lock the door. I can't do it that way. So in my case I can lock the key in the trunk if the doors are already locked.

Also what I've realized when I tried all these. When I locked the door and put the key in and closed it. The dash showed me the "press on the brake" sign. So obviosly the car recognize the key is in the car but still locks it in. After a minute all the doors are stay locked.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:30 PM
OK here it is. I tried to lock both of my keys in the car. It does not lock them in the car. I can lock both of them in the trunk anytime and everytime. I tried to lock the door first and put the keys in the trunk and close it. Than I tried to put the key in the trunk close it and lock the door. I can't do it that way. So in my case I can lock the key in the trunk if the doors are already locked.

Also what I've realized when I tried all these. When I locked the door and put the key in and closed it. The dash showed me the "press on the brake" sign. So obviosly the car recognize the key is in the car but still locks it in. After a minute all the doors are stay locked.
One thing I have been reading which the manual isn't very clear on is that there appears to be differences on how you lock and unlock the car and how it affects this. For example manually unlocking/locking the door with the the lever, using the unlock/lock button inside, and using the button on the outside of the door. One example I came upon was how the fuel door works. On my 08 if you unlock using the inside electric button the fuel door unlocks. It doesn't unlock if you simply unlock the door using the lever. I ran into this when I only wanted to leave the drivers door unlocked in this neighborhood and unlocked using the lever but could not open the fuel door.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:01 PM
I think the difference is the fuel door is essentially unlocked if all the doors are unlocked, not just the driver's door. Unlocking manually doesn't release it for that reason.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
locked my keys in trubk and they had to use a stick to hit my unlock button on interior... scratched my tint to ****... was no other way in my 03 they said... had 2 different lock smiths come

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lock your keys in trunk - easier than the interior