Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol

Old 12-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyzee
And your basis of knowledge that an 03 hyundai is "light years away" from present comes from where? the 2.7L Delta (GK series) motor, as well as associated parts/sensors, are still used to this day in their new cars. how long is your interpretation of a light year?

the only reason they are a contender of anything is their price and initial "bang for the buck" (exactly why i bought the tiburon). there's a reason they're cheap, but i'll let you figure that one out, i already did.

but hey, don't believe me, i only owned one. prove me wrong
Not an attempt to prove you wrong. Your experience was what it was. But my experience with 2 Hyundi Santa Fe's (2004 and 2006) has been much different. Both have been excellent, requiring nothing more than routeen maintenance (oil, tires, etc.), and I still own both. My wife drives one and my daughter the other.

I would have no problem recommending a Hyundi.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm truly happy you all had such great experiences with the hyundai's, really. wish i had that kind of luck with mine, even close to it, i'd be speaking very differently today.

Unfortunately, I'm the type to hold grudges, and hyundai is a serious grudge of mine.
you may have heard, "screw me once, shame on you...screw me twice shame on me".

I wish you all the best of luck with your hyundai's/kia's. (no sarcasm intended).

Old 12-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyzee
I'm truly happy you all had such great experiences with the hyundai's, really. wish i had that kind of luck with mine, even close to it, i'd be speaking very differently today.

Unfortunately, I'm the type to hold grudges, and hyundai is a serious grudge of mine.
you may have heard, "screw me once, shame on you...screw me twice shame on me".

I wish you all the best of luck with your hyundai's/kia's. (no sarcasm intended).
I can truly relate to having a serious problem w/ a car company when a car starts coming apart at the seams. BMW is supposedly one of the premium players and I had nothing but problems in our used 02 745Li. The following problems occured almost immediately after aquiring it:
~Passenger seatbelt tensioner & sensor stopped working (resulting in a 2k repair)
~One warped front rotor, one warped rear rotor (rotors only had 15k on them)
resulting in a $800 brake job.
~Transmission developed a low speed hard "clunk" going from 2nd to 1st gear
minimum charge for a rubber coupling and trans drop would have been 2k, up to the max of a new trans 8k plus~We dumped the car before going through this issue.
~Front control arms and bushings were shot (1.3k repair)
~front headlight developed an intermittant short ($300)
~I drive acted up and needed a reflash (don't remeber the exact charge but it was at least $400)
~Water pump went south ($800)
~Trunk lift motor went out (1k)

This was their flagship model and a beautiful car to look at, but I'll never own another BMW unless it's got many years left on the warranty and I have a dealer nearby.

It sucks that you had such a bad experience w/ your Tiburon, but Hyundai has come a very long way since that 03 model. But in your shoes I may feel the same way

Old 12-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
to make a point. im going to turn in my 08 G for a 2010 Tucson!

Hyundai recently won the 10 best engine award for their Genesis and best mid size lux car for the money award beating bmw/infiniti/lexus.. Im sold!

Old 12-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by mrclowny
to make a point. im going to turn in my 08 G for a 2010 Tucson!

Hyundai recently won the 10 best engine award for their Genesis and best mid size lux car for the money award beating bmw/infiniti/lexus.. Im sold!
Tucson got sane engine what the Genesis sedan has?

Old 12-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No I don't think so.. But it uses that new theta blah technology... lol

And ok I lied.. I love my G! = ) Im still making a point that hyundai came a loong way and their cars are pretty good now! I would seriously consider buying one!

Old 12-11-2009, 02:35 PM
LOL

You scared me there. It would be like I buy Nissan Cube because Nissan won 13 years in the row the best engine.LOL

You a right about they are imporving. What I can see is some of their cars are good quality and some just not there yet. Like Genesis Sedan vs Coupe. Sedan got all the love. They made sure it is down in quality and look at the Coupe. So much problems. I only can speak what my guy says. But he turned in his since it was a disaster. I understand it is kind of first year but not really since the car is out in Korea for longer time.

Hyundai and Ford impressed me how well they are doing in this economy. But again they are one of the cheapest big company and the sales numbers are saying the same.

Genesis sedan sells only as much as the Azera was selling 2 years ago. They could not really crack the pot in the Luxury department and that is the Car of the year.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by tg1234
Genesis sedan sells only as much as the Azera was selling 2 years ago. They could not really crack the pot in the Luxury department and that is the Car of the year.
Hyundai still has to get over their brand image that was pretty firmly established back in the Hyundai Excel days, just about the time the Yugo was making it's bumbling debut.
At the end of the day many folks in the luxury market don't want to have to tell their neighbor "it's a Hyundai". I mean, in the 35-40k market niche Hyundai doesn't get much love, and it won't until it can prove it belongs in that category.
If they would have set up a luxury brand and built it slowly they may have a better foot in the door on vehicles over 30k than they do right now. With their current marketing strategy they may never win over the true luxury marquee buyers. Right now if an Infinity/Acura/Lexus were exactly equal to a particular Hyundai model I doubt anyone would choose a Hyundai. If the Hyundai was 10k less then it gets interesting.
I don't think as many people are cross shopping Hyundai as they are moving up from a Accord/Camry into a Genesis.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:30 PM
They sohuld of just buy one out and sell it with that name. Like Saab for example. They could of buy Saab and sell under that name. But again it isn't cheap to do so.

I still think if I'd go cheap transportation alternative I would go for Ford instead of Hyundai.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by blnewt
I can truly relate to having a serious problem w/ a car company when a car starts coming apart at the seams. BMW is supposedly one of the premium players and I had nothing but problems in our used 02 745Li. The following problems occured almost immediately after aquiring it:
~Passenger seatbelt tensioner & sensor stopped working (resulting in a 2k repair)
~One warped front rotor, one warped rear rotor (rotors only had 15k on them)
resulting in a $800 brake job.
~Transmission developed a low speed hard "clunk" going from 2nd to 1st gear
minimum charge for a rubber coupling and trans drop would have been 2k, up to the max of a new trans 8k plus~We dumped the car before going through this issue.
~Front control arms and bushings were shot (1.3k repair)
~front headlight developed an intermittant short ($300)
~I drive acted up and needed a reflash (don't remeber the exact charge but it was at least $400)
~Water pump went south ($800)
~Trunk lift motor went out (1k)

This was their flagship model and a beautiful car to look at, but I'll never own another BMW unless it's got many years left on the warranty and I have a dealer nearby.

It sucks that you had such a bad experience w/ your Tiburon, but Hyundai has come a very long way since that 03 model. But in your shoes I may feel the same way
Ouch man, I feel your pain.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by blnewt
At the end of the day many folks in the luxury market don't want to have to tell their neighbor "it's a Hyundai". I mean, in the 35-40k market niche Hyundai doesn't get much love, and it won't until it can prove it belongs in that category.
very well put

Old 12-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
I guess it's all relative. Where i'm from, Nissan is "meh" and here in the US it's a decent brand.

Here Honda is "good, affordable" where as in my town it's "oh wow, you're rich!"

Old 12-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Where you from?

Old 12-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
I guess it's all relative. Where i'm from, Nissan is "meh" and here in the US it's a decent brand.

Here Honda is "good, affordable" where as in my town it's "oh wow, you're rich!"
Yeb, in southeast Asia, Toyota is number 1. They wouldn't want to touch other brands unless it's BM or MB. If you live in LA, you see that most cars there are either Toyota, BM or MB.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hyuandai Copying???