G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

TPMS low battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 01:15 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
It's not really a "hack" it's a procedure listed in other Nissan FSM's but for some reason they omitted the section about grounding out the TPMS service connector to put it in recalibration mode and only show using a recal tool in the G35 FSM. I think there's a DIY around here somewhere but basically set your tire pressure as listed in the FSM, start the vehicle, ground out the service jack FIVE TIMES until the TPMS light flashes, drive as listed in the FSM until the light turns off then air the tires back up to 35psi and you're done. I've been thinking about just replacing all mine with those VDO's next time I put tires on because my batteries are PROBABLY getting a little weak

Old 05-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Maybe "hack" was too strong of a word but by the same token, "hacking" to me isn't a negative thing I never realized the grounding out via the connector was the official process though ! I just presumed that Nissan or Infiniti techs have an interface that does everything (except the 'drive for a few minutes' part).

What section of the FSM is that in ? I have the manual for the '08 but can't find that. Just wondering if you have a different version and it's been updated to include the 5-touches for grounding.

My definition of hacking, in this sense, is: A method of doing something that doesn't require fancy, dealer or mechanic-only equipment and accomplishes the same result.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:53 PM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I've been thinking about just replacing all mine with those VDO's next time I put tires on because my batteries are PROBABLY getting a little weak
Mine are right around 10 years old and should be due for replacement soon, plus one tire has a slow leak that I haven't gotten tracked down yet. I had Discount Tire check them - they pressure tested them (dunked in water tank) and no signs of leaks. They also tightened down the valve stems and 3 of the 4 tires are doing much better. Two weeks later, I called them and asked what else to look at and they mentioned (2) things:

1) Slow leak may only appear when the weight (at least 1/4) of the vehicle is on the tire. He suspects that could be corrosion on the wheel that they can clean up.
2) The valve stems (aluminum) are slightly corroded and need replaced.
Both of those are entirely feasible based on our winters, road salt usage, etc, etc.

(My son and I changed pads and rotors on my wife's '14 Fusion (only 3-1/2 years old) and had to beat one of the rotors off to the point that she came to the garage and asked "should I be worried how you guys are hammering on my car ?" !! Quickly learned our lesson and as soon as wheel # 2 was off, liberal usage of PB Blaster began before we got to removing the rotors. One whack with a rubber mallet is all it took on # 2.)

I asked about replacing them and they charge $60/wheel. That includes the sensor + install + 're-learn'. Another tire shop charges $110/wheel for the same thing. Funny part was how he emphasized "you have to re-program them" as being a factor in the cost !

Old 05-05-2018, 02:29 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I hate slow leaks, I currently have one on my right rear tire and I suspect it's the valve stem, already had the tire dismounted and inspected once last year (new schrader valve) and it wasn't that, once a month I have to add 3psi of air to just that tire.

EDIT: My FSM doesn't say anything about grounding out the TPMS harness either, I think the last time I saw it printed was in a Maxima or Altima FSM though, it's in the Wheels/Tires section usually but it's not listed in any of the G35 FSM's.