G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Question on Wheel Weights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on Wheel Weights

I had the tires replaced on my OEM 18" sport rims last week at a local Big O Tires. When I washed the car over the weekend I noticed that the wheel weights that were nicely located on the inside center of each rim had been removed and when the new tires were balanced and installed, they replaced the factory weights with those cheesy weights that are clipped to the side of the rim. They are on the back side of rim and you would never see them w/o looking under the car, but I am curious if there was a performance beneifit in having the original factory weights in the center of the rim or if it is just for aesthetics?
This may not be a big deal but it still bugs me a little bit.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been workin with tires for years, to be honest all that matters is if ur steering wheel shakes over 60mph. It is a half *** way to balance but it still works. next time u can ask them to use only sticky weights.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by frybecker
I had the tires replaced on my OEM 18" sport rims last week at a local Big O Tires. When I washed the car over the weekend I noticed that the wheel weights that were nicely located on the inside center of each rim had been removed and when the new tires were balanced and installed, they replaced the factory weights with those cheesy weights that are clipped to the side of the rim. They are on the back side of rim and you would never see them w/o looking under the car, but I am curious if there was a performance beneifit in having the original factory weights in the center of the rim or if it is just for aesthetics?
This may not be a big deal but it still bugs me a little bit.
To balance a wheel properly, you will have two weights, front and rear of the rim.
The most accurate way to balance a wheel is to have weights on the lips of the rims. Because we have nicer alloy wheels, they stick weights on the rim behind the spokes to prevent damaging the surface on the front lip.
On the rear of the rim, weights clipped on the rear of the rim are ideal.

Basically, what they did is perfectly OK...so long as they never put the clip on ones on the front surface, rear is OK to be clipped on, and ideal.

***I used to work at a tire shop in high school.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I always wondered which one stayed on the wheel better.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
I always wondered which one stayed on the wheel better.
they both stay on pretty well but Im wondering now as well.

Both have their uses but there isnt really a better/worse one.

If the wheel is off balanced towards the face of them rim, they should use the stickied weight so its closer to the face of the rim.

other way with clips.... the stickied weights just allow for more options without making your wheel look ugly as they can stick anywhere.