G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Uneven Trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gooddeal2
My point is "don't be surprised if the dealer says no". You should address something like this right away. You shouldn't wait 2 years and ask the dealer to fix it. How do they know if it's an assembly mistake or if something happens to the car during the last 2 years?
In my case, I did bring it to the dealer's attention last spring. I brought the car there again yesterday and spoke to the same service writer. He saw it again and spoke to his boss. Based on what we discussed, they felt that it would not be fixable to my satisfaction. Not particularly happy with it but I trust myself to see if I can resolve the issue myself..

I know that it's under warranty but I'd want to know what I have right now, even if I was to have them attempt to fix it..

Old 02-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
In my case, I did bring it to the dealer's attention last spring. I brought the car there again yesterday and spoke to the same service writer. He saw it again and spoke to his boss. Based on what we discussed, they felt that it would not be fixable to my satisfaction. Not particularly happy with it but I trust myself to see if I can resolve the issue myself..

I know that it's under warranty but I'd want to know what I have right now, even if I was to have them attempt to fix it..
When the dealer didn't do the right thing (nearly a year ago) you should have called Infiniti USA. You still can.

"they felt that it would not be fixable to my satisfaction"
I'm sorry but this is not a choice for them to make. Their dealership should fix it properly to your satisfaction or find you someone else that can; at Infiniti's expense.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gooddeal2
My point is "don't be surprised if the dealer says no". You should address something like this right away. You shouldn't wait 2 years and ask the dealer to fix it. How do they know if it's an assembly mistake or if something happens to the car during the last 2 years?
You seem to be assuming the problem occurred now; not 2 years ago and the OP had not dealt with it earlier. I guess the OP has cleared that up with the last post.

As I said in my last post it was certainly possible they wouldn't attempt a fix. Looks like we're both right in that regard.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Okay. An update. I went to the dealer today to get the TPMS on my rims with the all-seaons get re-attached to the car's computer. While I was waiting, I walked around the lot and looked at roughly 6-8 G35 sedans. About 2-3 of the cars had paint missing and/or chipped in the same spot, the inside corner of the trunk link immediately next to the reflector of the tail light, some the left or right side of the trunk lid, at times both sides.

Anyone who has an 07/08/09/10 G I ask to check it out and please post what you find.

I'm starting to think it's a design flaw.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by yarrh
I have the same problem.
Watch it. As it gets worse, it's going to start to rust if it gets through the primer.

What gets me is that this is a $35-40K+ car. This should not happen.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:24 AM
I already have a rust spot on the edge of my trunk lid by the right tailight...

It's not the first; I recently touched up another spot by the left tail. For that one, a piece of my tailight housing was actually chipped off so i figured someone prolly slammed the trunk shut with something still in between. But since you've accounted for other G's with the issue, I am reconsidering that possibility.

Probably a design flaw, but I did take off the trunk lid lining to put in reverse LEDs before and maybe I didn't reinstall the rubber stoppers correctly...I will investigate further

Infiniti paint FTL...so bloody soft

Old 04-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Bump.. Anybody else?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I have the same problem on mine, had a rust spot where the paint had come off.
It's on the passenger side above the taillight.
Infiniti repainted it and the next day the paint chipped off in the exact same spot.
I'm gonna take it back to the dealer next week probably.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by steve85
I have the same problem on mine, had a rust spot where the paint had come off.
It's on the passenger side above the taillight.
Infiniti repainted it and the next day the paint chipped off in the exact same spot.
I'm gonna take it back to the dealer next week probably.
For what it's worth, I didn't bother with the dealer as it didn't seem that they wanted to help. So, I spent a little bit of time to play with my tail light till I had a larger gap between the trunk and the tail light. Seems to be better. I didn't want to argue with the dealer over this as they seemed not to want to deal with it and I didn't want them to screw up my car. If it was something where I couldn't do it myself, then I'd fight it. I just pick my arguments.

If folks take a look at each G as I have, call me nuts, each G's tail lights are aligned differently. Call me crazy but this should not be.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
yeah dealer won't help! unless they have a body shop there!
If the paint chip is not too bad it can be touched up without repainting the whole thing!

Well if you could post some pics of the problem I could've help, but seemed like you kinda figured it out already! You know picture means 1000 of words. If you post pictures with the problem it's 100% guaranteed more help and quicker response to your problem.
Well it's probably too late to mention all this, but just to remind for future threads.

Last edited by Shurik355; 04-19-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Shurik355
If the paint chip is not too bad it can be touched up without repainting the whole thing!

Well if you could post some pics of the problem I could've help, but seemed like you kinda figured it out already! You know picture means 1000 of words. If you post pictures with the problem it's 100% guaranteed more help and quicker response to your problem.
Well it's probably too late to mention all this, but just to remind for future threads.
Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize it was a problem till it was down to the metal.. Below is a picture. Kind of blurry.

Attached Thumbnails Uneven Trunk-img00060-20100301-1447.jpg  
Old 04-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Shurik355

That's not true at all.
All dealers have bodyshops that they contract with, my dealer doesn't have one on site but they were more then willing to send it out for the work.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by steve85
That's not true at all.
All dealers have bodyshops that they contract with, my dealer doesn't have one on site but they were more then willing to send it out for the work.
I've had a bad experience with a body shop which a dealer referred me to.

If a dealer doesn't have a body shop, I prefer to not go to them for body work...

Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
I've had a bad experience with a body shop which a dealer referred me to.

If a dealer doesn't have a body shop, I prefer to not go to them for body work...
THAT IS CORRECT!!! always choose the body shop you know or a good shop you might heard of. It has to be the place YOU can trust.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Uneven Trunk