G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Drop vs. Wheels/Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Drop vs. Wheels/Tires

So, I am trying to figure out what gift i am going to be getting for my G next. I am an X, kinda sucks, but im looking to drop a little using Eibach springs, but at the same time i really want a set of the 350z anniversary wheels. Since i am on a tight budget i really can afford to do one right now. I am leaning towards the rims/tires but i know that once i get them on i wont appreciate them until i drop my car.

My question to you guys is which should i do first. Should i drop first and then save and get the rims/tires mid to late summer or should i get the rims first, deal with the gap and wait to drop my car...

Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Or you can save and get them both at once? Get the springs a few weeks in advance, let them settle then throw on the wheels maybe.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^ i agree. I also have an X, and planning to do everything all at once. i already have my g37s coupe wheels, and in the market looking for eibach springs, rear toe camber kits, and possibly front toe camber. cost just keeps going up.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you going to be running a staggered setup with the 37 wheels? or did you manage to get all same size? Do you know if we can run RWD springs? Because Eibach has nothing for the X.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Dont forget that you'll need an alignment with the drop, so factor that into the price too

Old 02-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by pattyballs
My question to you guys is which should i do first. Should i drop first and then save and get the rims/tires mid to late summer or should i get the rims first, deal with the gap and wait to drop my car...
New wheels won't fix the tire gap issue. The tires you put on them will have about the same outside diameter as the wheel/tire combo you have now, so won't have any impact on the tire gap. There are only 2 ways to shrink the gap, and only one that doesn't mess up your VDC. Running oversized tires will fix the gap, but your VDC will kick on constantly, especially on an AWD. The other is to drop the car a little bit.

Are you going to be running a staggered setup with the 37 wheels? or did you manage to get all same size? Do you know if we can run RWD springs? Because Eibach has nothing for the X.
You can run staggered wheels on an AWD. What you can't do is run staggered diameters on the tires you put on them. Turtle* is running 350Z Sport wheels on his 1st Gen AWD, with 235/45-18's in the front and 265/40-18's in the rear without any problems because they both have the same diameter (26.3").

BTW, even after a mild drop you should get your alignment checked. A small drop (less than 1") may not require it, but you may also need a camber kit since there's very little if any adjustment for this on the stock components. Just be aware that a camber kit can cost as much or more than all 4 springs and the alignment. Plus, if you drop the car more than an inch or so, you'll probably wear out your shocks/struts faster and develop some bounciness to your ride.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
So,.........
Should i drop first and then save and get the rims/tires mid to late summer
or should i get the rims first, deal with the gap and wait to drop my car...
New wheels won't fix the tire gap issue. The tires you put on them will have about the same outside diameter as the wheel/tire combo you have now, so won't have any impact on the tire gap. ......
I think pattyballs knows that.
deal with = live with

...good point though

Old 02-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yea i managed to obtain four front g37s coupe wheels. sizes 19x8.5. the springs most people have been using is for the RWD. part number 6383.140.