G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Rear Ended, Did the shop fix correctly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear Ended, Did the shop fix correctly?

Hey all, new to the forum here. I have a Black 07 G35. I was recently rear ended (not my fault) and just got my ride back today. I have to say I'm not 100% satisfied with the results. I had it fixed at the infiniti dealer here in Colorado Springs. They are Infiniti, Landrover, Jaguar, so I thought they would do a good job! From the outside it did not look like there was hardly any damage at all, just the sides of the bumper popped off. They replaced the bumper with a USED bumper, had to replace the floor pan, mufler, etc. Apparently there was almost $7000 worth of damage. My question is where the rear bumper meets the tail light right at the corner there it stick out a few mm and is NOT flush. it is like this on both sides, sticks out more on the passenger side though. Can anyone confirm if that section of the bumper is supposed to be flush? Pic is below for reference. Any pictures/comments would be appreciated!

After the accident before getting fixed:

After getting fixed. Area where rear bumper meets the tail light on both sides. Wondering if she pushed in an area on the rear end that was not fixed properly and the new (used) bumper is not alligning correctly. I'm pissed!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
I don't see anything to go crazy about.

At least not on the pix

Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
take it back to the body shop and ask to re-align..
kinda surprising that you accepted to take the USED bumper on your 2 year old car..

Old 02-17-2010, 11:03 PM
umm well... first of, if it wasnt your fault than yes it is something to get upset about and get fixed! when your car is taken to a body shop the expectation is a perfect fix. Atleast aestetically. And you really dropped the bomb on letting them put a used bumper on. You pay insurance every month for a reason.....

Edit: btw its not alligned and its not suppose to buldge out like that in the 2nd pic..

Old 02-17-2010, 11:19 PM
issue is the person's insurance who hit me paid for the damage (State Farm) I didn't realize it was a used bumper until we got home and did a through inspection (some scratches on it) and noticed on the paperwork that the code for the bumper was "UP" as oppsed to "OE" on everything else. I assume UP stands for Used Part, OE for original equipment. It was late in the day and the vehicle was parked under a carport so it was kind of dark and hard to see everything, especially on a black vehicle. I will be going back tomorrow to address the issues with the manager. I appreciate the comments very much.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
That fitment sucks. And I'd be pissed if the scratches were anything more than swirl mark type that can be buffed out. Since you are not at fault and your car looks pretty new, it should be repaired such that you cannot tell the bumper was replaced--even under close scrutiny.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:21 AM
you also have to consider that when dealing with plastic...its never going to be an exact fit.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:47 AM
I understand, but my vehicle is supposed to be returned to "pre-accident condition" which it is not. Diminished Value claim perhaps? I've been going over it and have found more flaws. Contact insurance company first and demand it's re-repaired somewhere else, or contact the place that 'fixed' it the first time?

Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea I would have never accepted that car back, the way it sticks out! and I would not accept a New "USED" Bumper! For a 2yr old car is riddiculous!! and if it was state farm paying. shame on them for using used parts! I work at a body shop, and we did 2 sedans like yours, both rear ended, and had way more damage, like $13-14 grand worth! and we make it to close as possible factory standards! and those cars never had the problem like with your bumper not lining up! Take it back is all i can say! make them fix it till it's right!

Also we deal with State Farm, and they are the most stricktest and picky Insurance we deal with! and they never use used parts on a newer model car, so your deal sounds fishy with da new bumper??!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:22 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Yea that's off, but it could be something simple like a foam block on the bumper support being out of place. Take it back and get it realigned.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:48 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
After getting rear ended, mine isn't lined up perfectly either but I never ended up going back to the shop even though I was planning on it (accident was in June). Now I just live with it and it doesn't really bother me.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:29 AM
^^^insurance premiums are very high on these cars and i wouldn't have accepted the car with that quality of work done. it looks worst that the OP car.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by LiptonUCF
you also have to consider that when dealing with plastic...its never going to be an exact fit.
Yes, even a new car doesn't have a perfect line up...I had to ask them to re-align on a new car bumper but it was a lot worse than these pictures.

The problem w/ a repaint car is that we keep looking for imperfect places that we don't do w/ a new car. So, we usually find more flaws w/ the repaint car.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First off.. sorry to hear about the accident.... Thats why when I drive I always look in the mirror to make sure there is no idiot tailgating me. I had horrible experiences in the past....

Unfortunately... you are at the mercy of the insurance company who is responsible for the repais. Whether that is yours or theirs....

They are only legally responsible to replace/fix the bumper to the state it was in... Since it's two years old, they do not have to give you a new bumper but only have to fix it to the condition the car was in.

At the end of the day though.. don't matter if the bumper is used or old... All that matters is that they do a good job of painting it.

As far as the alignment goes.. you do have a say in that and I would take it to the body shop sooner than later...

Good Luck!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Headed back this morning. Will post up what they say.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Ended, Did the shop fix correctly?