G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Daimler to provide engines to Infiniti

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dofu
Mercedes have a lot of electrical issues, etc... but their chassis are solid and their motors are bulletproof. Not sure about their i4 though.
Sorry sir, I don't agree. Maybe 12 years ago, but now they are totally junk. I do claims on engines all the time.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
I think this is the real reason:

"Infiniti will benefit from having a new efficient option for buyers that will help the company meet impending fuel standards"

Sounds like an economy-G may be in the works to help with that...hopefully enthusiasts will still be able to buy a genuine VQ.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
I made a thread about this. My biggest thing is that nissan build infiniti from the ground up. From engines to chassis and now bens coming in to provide the power just seams wrong. I'm not bagging on bens but what if ford buil engines for bmw? It just don't work in my opion. Nissan has had good 4 cyl motors. The sr, ca, and ga were good engines. I've owned all three and seen no problems with them. I can't speak for the qr or even the mr that was co built with renault but I'm sure nissan can come up with a better solution than sourcing a bens 4 banger

Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
"Infiniti will benefit from having a new efficient option for buyers that will help the company meet impending fuel standards"
Sounds like an economy-G may be in the works to help with that...hopefully enthusiasts will still be able to buy a genuine VQ.
you hit the nail on the head....

i see it as a good option. it will provide the fuel economy that they need to meet the around the corner fuel standards....it takes many years to get that type of development rolling. example, the rear wheel drive hybrid system nissan unveiled a year ago while showing a G sedan with the system. that would still take a few years to get into the fleet....but even then, it would not bump the entire fleet average up enough to offset the lower mileage models.

the joint effort allows a swift influx of technology that allows them to meet the standards....and during the entire venture, they will develop their own technology on the side to release at a further date.(quality assurance there-if you rush, you take shortcuts, you lose reliability, and you fail)

A good example is one i am familiar with, nissan purchased the rights to use the toyota synergy drive system in the altima hybrid so they could meet a few states standards that followed californias rules and as apart of the deal, they could only sell that car in those states....they are only a year or two away from their own proprietary front wheel drive hybrid technology in the altima now which will allow 50state sales. from there you should see the maxima with one as well. followed by the compact cars.

its a necessary move. you know there was a deal that fell through that not many people knew about....daimler-Chrysler(at the time) would build titans in their mexico plant and provide a Cummings turbo diesel heavy duty option to titan pickups.....while nissan would provide compact cars based off of the sentra/versa to Daimler-Chrysler at their mexico plant....lol But, once daimler dropped chrysler and the government gave bailouts, that deal went up in smoke.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SwivelHips

I think that if people want an economy car they will go get a Sentra or an Altima. Not a G.

Just my two cents.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think lot more people would buy the G if they can get better MPG. Just look at the 3 series sales. Only fraction of the sales comes from 335. Most of them the lower trim with less power and more mpg. If Infiniti can deliver the car with the same mpg or better than the 3 series not include the 335 and can keep the $$ lower there is going to be a boost in sales for sure.

Altima is FWD G is RWD/AWD. Different platform, different interior, different warranty and different ownership experience.

Just think this way why we have G coupe and the Alti coupe!