G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Anybody else get grief from friends for buying a Japanese car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah I had friends that used to talk sheit My current ride 06 Yukon Denali, is my 1st American car and I'm trying to sell it to get another G35, I've had 1 German (VW Fox) my first car, then it was all ***, Mazda 00, Maxima 02, Titan 04, G35 04, Now I want an 07 G35 but the deal didn't go through. I will be back with one once i sell my truck privately.

Some people call it un-American, but those same folks wouldn't even entertain the thought of being the ultimate American and joining the Military. Me I'm an Immigrant turned US citizen, am in the Army 16 1/2 yrs now and will drive whatever I like regardless of who makes it, so just ignore them them and tell them when American steps up it's standard in making cars, you'll buy American. That should get them really fired up lol

Old 09-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nope just tell them you prefer a quality car

Old 09-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My response is usually "well, is it patriotic of American car companies to build an inferior car to the Japanese and expect Americans to pay top dollar for it?" That usually works. I don't let them get to me...I just find it curious that they have a japanese tv or a whole host of different products made elsewhere and that is fine, but for some reason the car is the one product that you must by American or you are unpatriotic.
I say to the American companies..."build it and they will come".
They are starting to get it right with the mustang, camaros and challengers at least!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Japanese cars all the way bro

Old 09-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand the argument about buying American to keep the money in the American economy. To be perfectly honest, I would much rather pay an American worker than a foreign worker to make any product. I'd rather see an American mom or dad support his/her family. But I simply cannot support an inferior product such as the American automobile. And it's this inferiority that has finally caught up to American car companies. In the past Ford and Chevy relied on the typical US buyer to be patriotic and buy American. By supporting an inferior product consumers dug the hole for American car companies even deeper. Now it's biting them in the butt.

Now I am gun-shy to buying an American car even though I hear the Malibu and some Buick cars are pretty darn good, on par with Asian quality. One positive in this conversation is many foreign cars companies have their cars put together by Americans. That being said, if the G were built in America, I might not buy one.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fotodad
That being said, if the G were built in America, I might not buy one.

LOL. It won't be too long before they start assembling Gs in the US, just about everything else Nissan is assembled here, it's just a matter of time. I don't think problems with any specific brand has to do with the place of assembly, but rather the Quality of parts used. Infiniti/Nisssan has it's issues also, just not as many as it's domestic counterpart.

They survey these things by the amount of problems V. amount of vehicles produced. As long as man is manufacturing a product it will have issues. With that said, some products just have more problems than others. QC QC QC, that would be "Quality Control"

Old 09-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They say muscle is faster. I say "yes, in a straight line".

Old 09-04-2010, 11:23 PM
I was trying to buy American this time...I was looking at the AWD ford fusion sport. A decent car but I could not get past the cheap interior. American cars are getting better again...but I am not willing to accept inferior products for that kind of money. I hope that one day American cars rule again...I will gladly buy one then.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Oklahoma.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Haha Tragedycat!!! You may have a point!!! But...the one guy that gave me the most grief is from the north...so go figure.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Back in the 80's, there was a lot of talk about buying american. I had an 89 camero, an 88 vett, and a 93 vette. The reliability of chevy was terrible. Small things broke all the time..hood wouldn't close, horn buttons fell off, clutch exploded, radio broke, 1 to 4 shift lock broke, electrical problems, fuel filter leaked, a/c leaked water in the interior, engine hesitated, suspension bushings creaked, etc...and that was just on the 93 vette under warranty. I was always bumming rides from family and friends to the dealership for repairs. Then I went to the dark side and bought a 2000 toyota 4runner. It never broke for over 100,000 miles. Now I have an 08 G35. It's also quite reliable. I doubt I'll buy GM again. There is a good reason it's Government Motors now.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
if chevy/ford/etc. built the g35x, i would have bought a chevy/ford/etc.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:33 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I have "buy American" type friends at school. All they will buy is Chevy trucks (even though the one kids mom has a BMW Z4.) I give them the same answers as you all have listed. Doesn't really matter though because i always win our arguments.

Our first Japanese cars were the 3 G35s we have owned, and now we have an Altima. Other than that, we like GM. Currently have a 08 Silverado and a 09 Corvette, and we have owned a host of other Suburbans and Blazers before that. My car before the G35 was an 03 Trailblazer and I loved that truck. It had less squeeks and rattles than the G35. It also could tow like 5500lbs and had a massive cargo area. A part of me wishes i never sold it. So much moe practical than the G sedan.

Contrary to what everyone thinks on here, american trucks run a LONG time and have low to no issues. In 200k miles, my friend has put a fuel pump in their 02 Suburban. In their 98 Suburban it was 3 crappy rebuilt transmissions, but that is partially due to that fact that they tow 7000lb trailers with it all day. Did i mention that that truck has 230k?

Oh yea, GM 3800 series? Bullet proof. Many people have over 200k on those motors with minimal issues as well.

I like buying american, and if its a car that i actually enjoy, i'd really enjoy buying it. IMO the American car companies (with the exception of chrysler) are really coming around and stepping up their products, and if they come out with a car that competes with the G35, then i'd probably buy it. But for now, i'll stick with their trucks as their cars dont do enough for me yet to actually buy.

And for the record, i refuse to buy a Toyota and Hondas are so ugly i wouldnt dare have one in the driveway (with the exception of the S2k, but that car is gone).

Old 09-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll only buy Japanese and some german cars. I had a 2010 GMC Yukon rental this past weekend and the rubber molding would come loose when the tailgate was open. It had a small v8 and was seriously underpowered. It was decked out and was pretty nice but would never buy it for the MSRP b/c of its quality. Some Nissans are built in Mississippi and some Toyotas are built in San Antonio. I only have problems with people who vandalize other people's cars b/c it is not the 'brand' of their choice.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:41 PM
G3V
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
only an uneducated retard would attack someone verbally targeting their brand choice of automobile. im glad i dont know any of those.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody else get grief from friends for buying a Japanese car?