G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Just done Seafoam on my g35x - some concerns...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like you mentioned, why bother doing this on a fairly new car. I used to put this in my 240sx without any issues and it did help out, but that was a 100k+ mi engine.

Typically I added it to the crankcase, fuel and through one of the vac lines. Some people tend to add it to one or two of these only.

If you added it to a vac line, maybe double-check that you re-connected it properly. Also, I waited to seafoam right before changing oil. You didn't mention if you replaced the oil after seafoming.

If your idle was rough before seafoming, you should have tried cleaning the throttle bodies first. I hear they've have been causing some issues with idle, but after cleaning the TBs, it goes away:

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...le-bodies.html

I also have an 08 and will be trying this soon.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:39 PM
It's been about 12 hours since I seafoamed my g35x.
result = Awesome.

so the deal was..
I went to Autozone this morning to have them scan the car.
Luckily, it was not O2 sensor. Only #6 spark plug misfire.
I asked them if there's any compatible parts I can order, but no luck.

As I drove out of the parking lot, the light went away, and started having an incredible idle. I made sure the autozone guy not delete the codes since manually deleting might confuse me.

Anyways, rpm on idle is perfectly on 600, rock solid.
Runs smooth as heck and with a little bit of exaggeration, it feels like sitting on a hybrid car while stopping at a red light.

Before I actually used seafoam, I did alot of research online.
I remember the CEL issues but most of them when off after a while.
There also were some ppl who had to replace their O2 sensors, but this is a very rare case. I'm assuming if the vehicle has TOO MUCH crap to deposit via seafoam it messes up the O2 sensor.

I did change the oil since I was around the area.
I won't be worrying about the sparks unless the CEL comes back up.
My guess is... even if the CEL was gone just because of autozone's manual work, I think CEL will be back up IF there really is a problem is spark plugs.

I've seen ppl intentionally delete codes to get rid of CEL on Youtube, but I don't recommend doing this because Seafoam CAN really mess up the spark.
I would wait a while and if the CEL is still there I would have it checked out.

to sum up...

does this stuff work? - YES
can it mess up sparks or other sensors? - YES, so risk it. (prepare to buy new spark plugs)

However, the chances that you would need new plugs will be much lower if you have less crap on your car. In my case, I only had 40k only used premium gas therefore not as much smoke, so didn't hurt the sparks as much.
But think of it this way. If you had to replace sparks, that mean you had SO MUCH to deposit from your engine.

I did try cleaning services at Infiniti dealers for $$$$$$$$.
Honestly, I couldn't physically feel the differences.
Seafoam, on the other hand, the change was very noticeable. The more mileage and carbon on your engine, the more dramatic change you will notice.
You get to see the smoke coming out of your car with your own eyes so that's a plus.
(at least psychologically)

Now that rpms are much better than it used to be, I'm satisfied.
Geee... I can't believe I spent all that $$$ at dealer when I could've seafoam it for $9.

Thanks for all the recommendations, guides and infos, guys.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ glad to hear that it all worked out for you and no adverse effects were retained, keep us posted on whether the CEL comes back on in the next day or so and update on how the car continues to idle and run for the next few days.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:17 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When my Maxima had codes indicating cylinder misfire it turned out to be the coil. CEL would come back on not long after being reset. Replaced coil, problem solved. But, that car was 10 years old when that happened.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Guys on my Cruiser forum swear by seafoam, however the one that use it are the ones that purchased an older bike 80's and are having running problems with it running.

I mean I'm glad it worked out for the OP but seriously SEAFOAM in an 08 w/40K miles? IMO the OP just masked the real issue by adding seafoam. Whatever caused those conditions he explained still exists.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:49 AM
N80
Have you ever noticed how your car seems to ride and run better after a good wash, wax and detail? Additives have much the same effect. Not on the cars, on our brains.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
If the seafoam got rid of carbon build up then yes it will make the car run better.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 AM
N80
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
If the seafoam got rid of carbon build up then yes it will make the car run better.
That's what the ad says. But there is never any proof that 1) it can remove carbon deposits, 2) where it removes them from, 3) how much it removes and 4) how much difference removing it makes. I wonder why? Surely if we think we can 'feel' the difference then someone should be able to measure that difference AND those findings should be reproducible and constant. And if they were, why wouldn't the additive makers use that proof for marketing purposes?

Do you ever wonder why no automotive manufacturers recommend it (or any other additive)? Do you ever wonder why gasoline and motor oil are made to certain strict specifications?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Whether or not the specific product works is not something I have researched hence why I said "If". I was talking under the assumption that the product DOES infact work.
However, what I was trying to say earlier is that removing carbon build up (whether by using seafoam or manually disassembling parts and cleaning) from throttle bodies, intake plenum, lower intake manifold and valves makes a big difference on how well the car starts up, idles, accelerates as well as how smooth it runs.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by N80
Have you ever noticed how your car seems to ride and run better after a good wash, wax and detail? Additives have much the same effect. Not on the cars, on our brains.
I agree with the certain degree of positive mind effects (or psychologically).
But
1. rpm on idle got lowered and solid.
2. the little judder I felt from steering on idle is gone.

can't really say about the improved power because that's really my objective feeling.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Hey if your happy with the results than it was a good $9 spent.

I mean your just stimulating the economy.......

If it fixed your idle and feels more powerful than you win....

This is America, everyone else can save their money if they dont believe in Seafoam.

Like ME

Old 11-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is sea foam really worth screwing up o2 sensors on a 2008?

Try resetting the Ecu unit

Old 11-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Looks like his sensors are fine as im guessing his CEL light never came back on after getting it reset. Looks like the OP got his money's worth, glad to see him take the initiative and get the desired results, no need to pull his leg really.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:55 AM
When my car had about 70-80k on it I used this crap called Restore. I put in about 4 quarts of oil, and a quart of Restore. I did it for two oil changes. After I put it in, the car would run rough for a few minutes and throw a code. Then it would go away.

I don't know if it did anything, but I won't use that **** again.

I Seafoamed this past spring. I've used it on other cars and always had good results. I put it in my gas tank, my oil, and through a vacuum line. The car didn't really smoke too much, even with about 115k at the time, and I replaced the oil soon after. It didn't throw any codes, and I changed out my spark plugs this summer. When they came out, they looked fine. I have not had any issues with my 02 sensors.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think there is a lot of misunderstanding of using Seafoam in this thread.

Seafoam can be used several ways:
1) As an oil additive
2) As a fuel additive
3) Sucked into intake via a vacuum line.

I believe the OP was using it via method #3.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just done Seafoam on my g35x - some concerns...