G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Misfiring! Help! Infiniti may not cover...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfiring! Help! Infiniti may not cover...

I'm a bit stressed right now as my car is currently at my local Infiniti (in Utah), but they're iffy as to whether or not they're going to cover the repair as I have a few mods on my car from the previous owner. I have Intake, Exhaust, and a Grounding Kit installed, nothing too major, but the dealership of course doesn't need much to deny service, which is a major PITA.

Anyhow, assuming the worst, what are signs/areas I should look for if I do in fact have to repair and take care of this myself? Pulling the codes at Autozone, I was showing a misfire in cylinder #2 and random misfire. It's been extremely sporadic, happening here and there, sometimes when I start my car, sometimes when I drive randomly, and then it will go away after 30 seconds or sometimes a minute or two. It's been occurring over the last week or so out of nowhere.

The car has only 44,000 miles on it, so I assume the plugs and wires are still good since they're rated at 100,000 miles...but any and all help is appreciated. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Infiniti just covers it, but I want this issue taken care of asap since it's a bit frustrating.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Old 10-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
I would have taken off the intake and grounding kit. I am curious as to what they find. Good luck to you though!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:52 PM
I think it's not a big problem and it's still under warranty but you modified some of your parts. intake, exhaust manifold, ground. Actually, that's not a major reason for denying warranty. They just want more money because dealers are trash. They seem to charge a lot of money if you want to fix it. Just visit a car repair shop. In the repair shop, I think it cost just around $100. Just NGK power plug, spark coil(VQ3xHR has 6 coils) that's it.
Actually I have G35 sport. So I repair everything as much as I can. Dealers know a little but they charge a lot. If you live around me, I can help you but I live far from you and I am not good at English.
But if you need ask me. I will help as much as I can, know.

Even if the misfire happens again after you change coil (when you order it online it costs less than $50 + shipping), you check up ecu, and just check wire. Sometimes wires are melted by exhaust manifold if it is near them. It can make some electricity leakage.

ECU(ECM) -> wire -> coil -> spark plug

Just invest these first. Even a just 1 min job, deals charge you a lot of money just you don't have qualified warranty. That's why I call they are trash. They are just wearing suits robberies.

Last edited by lubwiz; 10-31-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
One thing I've learned is that if one dealer isn't mod friendly and you're going to have mods, you need to look around and find a dealer that IS mod friendly. It'll save you stress and dollars in the long run.

While mods shouldn't necessarily void your warranty, a dealer can refuse to honor and it is really a hassle (and often a losing battle) to make them see things your way.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Idyfohu
It's been extremely sporadic, happening here and there, sometimes when I start my car, sometimes when I drive randomly, and then it will go away after 30 seconds or sometimes a minute or two. It's been occurring over the last week or so out of nowhere.
Does this mean your Check Engine Light pops up randomly?
or the is the light constantly on?

Old 11-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Get your hands dirty and save some money!

Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Alright, so I got my car back today and unfortunately Infiniti wouldn't honor the warranty, but it's just considering the mod the car had that I wasn't aware of. The previous owner had a HKS Twin Power Ignition Amplifier that I had no idea about, but these things are generally bullet proof so I'm hoping that this wasn't the cause.

A quick question, will just disconnecting the HKS Ignition Amplifier solve the problem or more importantly, will this be a bad thing (the last thing I want are even more problems)? I assume it can't hurt (it's connected via v12 power source (probably directly from the battery) and then splicing into each wire leading to each individual coil pack). I'm going to take it to Firestone tomorrow as I know the head mechanic there personally and hopefully he can find a quick an easy fix for me...after reading, I'm hoping it's just a coil pack, as they're fairly cheap and relatively easy to replace. #2 cylinder was the one code that popped up along with random misfire, so we'll see.

Originally Posted by lgjt1982
Does this mean your Check Engine Light pops up randomly?
or the is the light constantly on?
Yup, it's popping up randomly just when the misfire starts. Sometimes my car will misfire upon starting and more often than not, it'll happen just while I driving out of nowhere and then go away out of nowhere.

Originally Posted by Tim@Grubbs
Get your hands dirty and save some money!
This is definitely the plan...the local Infiniti here wanted to charge me 2 hours of shop time just to investigate the problem @ $110/hour, I obviously passed.

Originally Posted by lubwiz
I think it's not a big problem and it's still under warranty but you modified some of your parts. intake, exhaust manifold, ground. Actually, that's not a major reason for denying warranty. They just want more money because dealers are trash. They seem to charge a lot of money if you want to fix it. Just visit a car repair shop. In the repair shop, I think it cost just around $100. Just NGK power plug, spark coil(VQ3xHR has 6 coils) that's it.
Actually I have G35 sport. So I repair everything as much as I can. Dealers know a little but they charge a lot. If you live around me, I can help you but I live far from you and I am not good at English.
But if you need ask me. I will help as much as I can, know.

Even if the misfire happens again after you change coil (when you order it online it costs less than $50 + shipping), you check up ecu, and just check wire. Sometimes wires are melted by exhaust manifold if it is near them. It can make some electricity leakage.

ECU(ECM) -> wire -> coil -> spark plug

Just invest these first. Even a just 1 min job, deals charge you a lot of money just you don't have qualified warranty. That's why I call they are trash. They are just wearing suits robberies.
Thank you so much for the explanation...I wasn't exactly sure what connected where, so this will help in diagnosing the problem tomorrow. If you were local, believe me, I'd accept your help in a hearbeat!

Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
One thing I've learned is that if one dealer isn't mod friendly and you're going to have mods, you need to look around and find a dealer that IS mod friendly. It'll save you stress and dollars in the long run.

While mods shouldn't necessarily void your warranty, a dealer can refuse to honor and it is really a hassle (and often a losing battle) to make them see things your way.
What's lame is the Infiniti in Utah that I go to, is the only one in all of Utah. So as far as going to another dealership, unfortunately I'm SOL. Otherwise, I"d remove all my aftermarket parts and definitely make another trip.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:09 AM
I'm a bit stressed right now as my car is currently at my local Infiniti (in Utah), but they're iffy as to whether or not they're going to cover the repair as I have a few mods on my car from the previous owner. I have Intake, Exhaust, and a Grounding Kit installed, nothing too major, but the dealership of course doesn't need much to deny service, which is a major PITA.

Anyhow, assuming the worst, what are signs/areas I should look for if I do in fact have to repair and take care of this myself? Pulling the codes at Autozone, I was showing a misfire in cylinder #2 and random misfire. It's been extremely sporadic, happening here and there, sometimes when I start my car, sometimes when I drive randomly, and then it will go away after 30 seconds or sometimes a minute or two. It's been occurring over the last week or so out of nowhere.

The car has only 44,000 miles on it, so I assume the plugs and wires are still good since they're rated at 100,000 miles...but any and all help is appreciated. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Infiniti just covers it, but I want this issue taken care of asap since it's a bit frustrating.

que tipo de spark plug pusistes double platinum oem ngk r

Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by baroy1984
que tipo de spark plug pusistes double platinum oem ngk r
Si no pones ngk r te va dar misfire

Old 01-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by baroy1984
Si no pones ngk r te va dar misfire
NGK Iridium is your best choice.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts

One thing to definitely check is upper under the edges of the intake plenum at the fuel injector harness. I have seen a many of the 07-08 models where rats get up under the intake and chew away at the injector harness and the wires will randomly touch and not touch while driving.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
żno has visto el post original es de hace mucho?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by GR6RR
żno has visto el post original es de hace mucho?
The intake plenum, not the cold air intake

Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Do people realize this thread is over 3 years old?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
I'm having the same issue, should I replace my built engine with my original so they don't think I'm telling a lie?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Misfiring! Help! Infiniti may not cover...