G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Upgrading the SUB on prem pkg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Upgrading the SUB on prem pkg

Does someone know the size of the OEM subwoofer on the premium package?
And, can I swap it with another one of the same size but more powerful?
In my opinion, It lacks of BASS!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
im trying to change my whole system but its hard with the bose system were is the sub locate di cant find it lol

Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Im pretty sure its an 8 but you will need a new amp to power a new sub just fyi

Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it is a 10 with a non standard mounting ring. It's really not that bad. The holes in the rear deck compromise the baffle and decrease the bass.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah. I was thinking the same. Is there a way to just add an amplifier or something? Also, is there a way to improve on the bass with the "holes in the rear deck"?

Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
i just added a 12" and a monoblock 500rms amp. more than enough bass now. I built a custom box to have the sub fire through the passthrough. if you are interested i would consider building this same box for you!

Old 01-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
R3diK3r0u5: that is one nice set-up, looks like a really nice box. I would show that thing off in the Audio section or even the market place if you're looking to make/sell a few.

To the OP, as others mentioned, the sub isnt gonna be a straight swap since bose speakers are driven off their non-standard amp ohms/connectors. Some people have gotten creative and replaced the Sub with a free-air unit and a conventional amp. Others have used the feeds going into the bose sub for quick audio input access.

I personally think Infiniti should have put 6x9's on the rear deck.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
^^ is that bolted down in your trunk? i feel like it would slide and roll around alot if not. mine sure did before i came up with a rigging system

Old 01-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Anyone have the specs on the Bose sub?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
has anyone replaced the stock head unit,could u use the stock head unit with a upgraded speakers.Does anyone know what the front door size speakers r

Old 01-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMPenn
Is there a way to just add an amplifier or something? Also, is there a way to improve on the bass with the "holes in the rear deck"?
That is what I would like to do. I want to keep 100% of the trunk space.
Nice setup R3diK3r0u5 but that is too big for me.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by R3diK3r0u5
i just added a 12" and a monoblock 500rms amp. more than enough bass now. I built a custom box to have the sub fire through the passthrough. if you are interested i would consider building this same box for you!
why would you fire it through the pass thru? isnt the concealed trunk supposed to regulate the air flow or something? aim it facing the back to create the most bass?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Austin713
^^ is that bolted down in your trunk? i feel like it would slide and roll around alot if not. mine sure did before i came up with a rigging system
nope its just wedged in there really well plus the weight of all the components keeps it in place. it sits flush up against all the changing angles of the back seat and is ever so slightly wedged up against the top of the trunk. its held in place quite nicely and close to a perfect fit

Originally Posted by samsizzle
why would you fire it through the pass thru? isnt the concealed trunk supposed to regulate the air flow or something? aim it facing the back to create the most bass?
umm idk quite why sealing it from the cabin would make more bass. but my original intention with the design was that so i could have teh pass through open and watch the sub bang if i wanted. but its also much louder with the pass through open then closed. also since it is basically sealed up against the back of the seats, all the air transfer is in the cabin so there is no rattling trunk

Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you mind writing up a quick summary of what u did.... like what wires where u hooked them up etc

Old 01-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by RhiNoKiLL
do you mind writing up a quick summary of what u did.... like what wires where u hooked them up etc
sure. bare with me, i tend to get wordy but its all to try to explain as well as i can!

i had the dash taken apart to do the video/input while moving bypass, so i decided to wire up my sub wires as well. i downloaded the service manual for my car [took a little searching but you can find them on the internet] and located which connector contained the rear speaker outputs from the head unit. i dont remember the colors but the colors in my service manual werent the same as on my car anyways, i just went by the pin locations instead of color. i then spliced an RCA cable into the rear speaker leads. there are two wires inside each RCA connector, so i connected the inner wire of the red side to the + of the right rear vocal output and the outer wire to the - of the right rear vocal output. I then repeated with the white side of the RCA for the left rear speaker.

the reason why i spliced into the wires from the head unit was because i was adding a bass control **** in my ash tray and didnt want to have to run RCAs from the trunk to the **** and then back to the trunk again. but if you dont want to open up your dash, although its pretty easy, you can splice into the rear speaker wires right before they go into the bose amp in the trunk. it works the same way

so then after splicing into those wire i had RCA connections for my sub. i connected those RCAs to my bass control **** and then ran RCAs from that back to my amp in the trunk. here is a pic of the bass control **** in the ashtray

the only other wires to connect are the power wire ran from the battery, the ground for the amp in the trunk [there was an unused hole in the trunk on the right quater panel behind the carpet wall so i just sanded off the paint and bolted my connector for my ground to that hole], and the amp turn on signal [this you can splice into the one the bose amp in the trunk uses, i believe it was light blue in color].

i think thats it. it was a little bit time consuming but not that difficult. it was my first audio system to set up and first box to build so i am very happy with the result. i enjoyed doing this and am actually considering going around to the audio shops in my area and ask if they are hiring and showing them my work on my car as a sort of "portfolio." idk if it would be good enough to impress them though or if that is how shops like that work in their hiring, but i think i could do some really really good work with a little practice.

Last edited by R3diK3r0u5; 01-18-2011 at 11:17 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading the SUB on prem pkg