G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Tiptronic or Stick?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tiptronic or Stick?!?

So I have a 07' G35 Sedan Journey Auto, that I have recently purchased. Love the car, but I kinda wish I got a stick instead. I want your opinion about the tiptronic on these vehicles. I'm stuck with the Auto now, but I want to have fun with the triptonic without damaging my engine or transmission.

So what do you guys think about the performance level? Is it thrilling? Does it hurt the vehicle in ANY WAY if you red line it?!?

Last edited by ssh1786; 02-02-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any car you REDLINE repeatedly will be hurt... Manual or Auto... But using the manual shift feature is fun, however I personally don't use it much anymore.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 PM
IMO triptronic sux. I've recently bought an 08 sedan last month and it had every feature I wanted except nav and 6mt. I've also purchased the paddle shifters and installed it. It works just a little bit better than the triptronic but still nothing compared to having a true manual. I've never owned an automatic car before this one and I miss my 6spd dearly. Triptronic is just not the same. Shifts are SOO much slower compared to using a clutch and for me there is no more "fun" but overall I'm impressed with the car and I'm planning on keeping it for years to come

Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Agree and I have a 6mt 2007 G35!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
With all the complaints people have with the auto, I am glad I have the 6MT. With the two clutch pedal mods and the clutch wearing in, take offs are nice and smooth now. The only thing I can knock is that the clutch has the tendency to slip when shifting at high rpm.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mishmosh
With all the complaints people have with the auto, I am glad I have the 6MT. With the two clutch pedal mods and the clutch wearing in, take offs are nice and smooth now. The only thing I can knock is that the clutch has the tendency to slip when shifting at high rpm.
wat clutch mods? My left foot hurts lol

Old 02-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Red line is bad. I did it twice in 2nd gear. No damage but if you keep doing like their will be problems. But i don't play with tiptronic that much anymore.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
There is a TSB to replace a clutch cylinder or something like that--mine had it completed already when I bought it. Apparently that improves clutch feel some. This car takes a little longer to get really smooth with than other manual cars I've owned because the clutch has very quick take up and the accellerator is fairly quick too.

Some people modify the clutch actuator spring to change the behavior of the pedal but after a few extra weeks to get used to it I like mine just the way it is...I'm glad I didn't try to modify it.

I am happy with it though...really makes the car fun to drive. These things have a ridiculous amount of power if you stomp on them.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree having a manual 6 speed can be more fun but I like being able to be lazy. I was debating the same thing coming off of a 6spd 350Z but I do like being able to cruise along now...So much easier to let the woman "get to business" without shifting getting in the way

Old 02-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
It's funny when people say " I bought a car that had every feature I wanted, except". So why rush and buy something you didn't want in the first place?

As for this clutch, I still haven't perfected it like on the 04G, and I've had it for 3 months now. I refuse to do any clutch mod. Just gotta learn your car, that is it. No 2 clutches will feel the same so just take the time to learn the one you have instead of trying to make it like what you HAD.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:32 PM
I've owned both, and enjoy the involvement of the stick, However, I am more often in traffic that in a situation where I can REALLY enjoy a stick. I test drove a six-speed and before the end of the 20 minute test drive, mostly in traffic, I found it to be tedious. Also the clutch action on the G wasn't the best, especially compared to a 3 series I also considered which was very intuitive, so I can see why the mods are popular. In the end I realized that I would enjoy the auto more in my heavier traffic situation, and adding the paddle shifter to my G35X for me, in my situation will give the best of both worlds. Bottom line,everyone has to carefully evaluate your own personal preference, and you own predominant use of the car, and decide what YOU like best. In the end it really doesn't matter what others think; its gonna be your car. Be honest with yourself about it, and choose carefully. Frankly, the car is so good, you really can't go wrong either way. Do bear in mind, if you trade often, that a stick will be worth as much probably as the auto, but the total number of buyers that will consider a stick is less so you will have fewer potential buyers,even though the few that will consider it will pay about as much. For this reason, some dealers realize that a stick may sit on a lot a while longer before the right buyer comes along, so they may try to put less money in a stick car than an auto.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:02 PM
I have the 6mt and do like it...but there are times...like in stop/go traffic that is a slight annoyance and the gearbox itself is annoying/frustrating to me. I dislike how it seems that shifts have to be just perfect to do smoothly; sometimes it requires a little force to get in gear, sometimes not (as it should) and then with cold temperatures it requires alot of force. Then, my biggest complaint, it keeps changing how it likes to go into gears and it seems inconsistent in it's shifts making repeatable, smooth shifts near impossible. Maybe it is just my car, but it seems that there are enough other similar complaints out there. I've learned the throttle and it's "touchyness" isn't an issue. BTW, I have about 27k miles and OEM trans fluid.

Now I have only had the car about 3 months, but there are times it makes me wish I had gotten the 5/7AT...so be careful what you wish for, the auto maybe more to your liking then you know.

I'll throw a discalimer out there that I by no means claim that I'm the best manual trans driver out there, but I'm not a novice and have owned 2 Jeeps, a Mazda, Mustang GT and an Audi all with manual trans with their own +/-'s. I've not been as frustrated with them as I am with this gearbox and it's inability to consistently and repeatably shift smoothly.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have 2007 g35 6mt and i recently borrowed dealer's g37 sedan and "tiptronic" sucked!!! 6mt is fun to drive but if your daily driver like me... its not always fun.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 PM
i was just about to pull the trigger on an auto g35x when i found another 6mt g35S at another dealership that I wanted to try just to make sure i want auto.

after driving the 6mt for 5 minutes, i knew i had to get manual...

Old 02-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jessefrank
I have the 6mt and do like it...but there are times...like in stop/go traffic that is a slight annoyance and the gearbox itself is annoying/frustrating to me. I dislike how it seems that shifts have to be just perfect to do smoothly; sometimes it requires a little force to get in gear, sometimes not (as it should) and then with cold temperatures it requires alot of force. Then, my biggest complaint, it keeps changing how it likes to go into gears and it seems inconsistent in it's shifts making repeatable, smooth shifts near impossible. Maybe it is just my car, but it seems that there are enough other similar complaints out there. I've learned the throttle and it's "touchyness" isn't an issue. BTW, I have about 27k miles and OEM trans fluid.

Now I have only had the car about 3 months, but there are times it makes me wish I had gotten the 5/7AT...so be careful what you wish for, the auto maybe more to your liking then you know.

I'll throw a discalimer out there that I by no means claim that I'm the best manual trans driver out there, but I'm not a novice and have owned 2 Jeeps, a Mazda, Mustang GT and an Audi all with manual trans with their own +/-'s. I've not been as frustrated with them as I am with this gearbox and it's inability to consistently and repeatably shift smoothly.
Might just be your car buddy, I can however agree with the cold weather difference in shifts when you first get going. I learned to drive in Dec 94, since then I've only owned 2 Automatics. Nissan titan for 8 Months, and Yukon Denali for 18 Months which I just traded for this car. All my other cars were manuals, so I have a little experience with them. I can agree this 07 is a little touchy, but hardly what I hear the most complains are about. Good luck with your manual.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic or Stick?!?