G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires

I have an 07 that I need tires for. I got 26,000 miles on the tires that came with the car. The folks at the tire shop are recommending Continental as a first pick followed by Kumho as the second choice.

Just seeing what everyone thinks are the best overall tires out there?

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dad's got Continental extreme contact DWS on his M35 and loves em.. not too pricey either.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by butterwm
I have an 07 that I need tires for. I got 26,000 miles on the tires that came with the car. The folks at the tire shop are recommending Continental as a first pick followed by Kumho as the second choice.

Just seeing what everyone thinks are the best overall tires out there?

Thanks!
A couple questions might yield better answers for you:

Is your car a "sport" model with the staggered tire sizes? And are you looking to stay with your stock tire sizes.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:25 PM
It is a Journey but has the sport wheel upgrade. So yes, it has different sizes. I imagine I will stay with the same size.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:10 AM
Well, I was going to say, you're fairly screwed then because of the limited tire choices available (mostly because of the front size), but actually it looks like you're in luck. I just double checked Tire Rack and they showed several new options for staggered sets that weren't available even just a few months ago. Darn! I just bought new tires for my car in slightly larger sizes (235/50 and 255/45) just to have more choices. Looks like if I'd just waited a few more months I could have picked up some of the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Prices seem to be lower across the board too. Oh well, story of my life! But good for you though!

Anyway, my two cents is don't skimp on tire quality. Good tires can make a significant difference in the handling of these cars. If you've got the dough, I'd definitely recommend those new Pilot Super Sports.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on what type of tire you are looking for? All Season or Summer Tire? I am ready to cop new tires for the summer... Looking to buy the Bridgestone Potenza RE760sport in 235/45 and 255/40. Other good choice for SUmmer tire is the Hankook Ventus V12 IMO. As for all-season, I also heard that the Continental DSW is a great all-season tire.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:58 AM
They mentioned something about going with a slightly bigger tire with the continentals. They said it would fit on the same rim and there wouldn't be any chance of it rubbing. I'm not sure what I think about going with a wider tire...any negatives?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from Yoko S-Drives to DWS on my 04 coupe and they are fine. Much better in snow, but softer side walls than the S-Drives. Was wanting something I could drive in the snow if I had to. However, now wondering if the Yoko Envigors might have been the better choice. I put these on my daughter's 00 Max and they have done great in the snowy NC mountains.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Look at the hankook ventus v12s. I believe they make them in the stock size up front

Old 03-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by butterwm
They mentioned something about going with a slightly bigger tire with the continentals. They said it would fit on the same rim and there wouldn't be any chance of it rubbing. I'm not sure what I think about going with a wider tire...any negatives?
A slight change in width is fine on the stock rims. The front rims are a little on the narrow side, so keep it to a minimum for their sake. Your more immediate concern should be whether the tire diameters relative to one another are within compliance for the traction control system to work properly. Considering that, it's a poor idea to change the change just one end (say, the fronts) without compensating the rears too; otherwise you'll have it kicking in around every turn. If you do change diameter, your speedo will be off slightly too; larger diameter=reads too slow, smaller diameter=reads too fast. There are some good online calculators tools for quantifying all this.

BTW, what type of tire are you looking to get... Performance(how much), All-Season, etc. ?

Old 03-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Looking for a good, all-around tire that will give me a good ride. I live in middle Georgia and we don't get snow here so I don't need anything for winter. Not sure if I even really need an all season or just a summer tire. The continentals are starting to sound good...

Old 03-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
^ I would go with the All season. It's not just about the snow, but also the wet handling. And you already know as soon as it rains down south your're guarantee to see 2-3 accidents on any higway you can see . The conti got some worthy reviews and claims a 50,000 mile life. One review a guy said he had 80K on his. wow!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 AM
I second the Continentals. I had them on an older car that I sold and loved em. My brother in law has em on his 08' Maxima and likes em. Do pretty good in the winters. Decent performance in the summers.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Up here in Atlanta, the guy at Butler Tire tells me that he's put Kumho Ecsta LX on some sedans and the customers have been happy with them. They are a grand touring tire, though, and not a hi perf. tire, and are price accordingly. Still, they seem to work well on the G based on TireRack reviews, and have the advantage of a high treadwear rating.

I've had the Bridgestone RE960 on a rear-wheel drive car in the past and been very happy with it all around. Am considering that for our G.

Will have to look hard at the Michelin Pilots now that they're going to be available in the rights sizes, but will probably stay away from a summer tire. It does get below 20 up here in the winter.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:30 AM
I have the Coupe 19's and I plan on picking up the Yokohama Envigors or the Continental DWS. If I end up buying a FWD daily driver due to these crazy gas prices, I'll probably put on the Vredesteins that a lot of us run, or the Hankook V12.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tires