G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35x Vs. G35 Sedan Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VincenzG35
i'd go with the XS listen BBKs look cool but its the dumbest thing to add on a car, if it doesnt already have it. Other than being on a track when will you ever need a BBK (i dont know about you but i can stop just fine. i have a 1st gen sport sedan which isn't too pleasant in the snow (at all) and truthfully i like AWD you like the car get whats practical how often do we really gun it at a light and race people? i'm sure every now and then some moron in a tibiron or civic needs to be put in check but XS can handle it just fine. Most of the after market exhaust our forum members put on their cars sound like coffee pots anyway(not trying to insult anyone) so forget about that.
So what are we left with?
S
1. brakes that you'll never need
2. option to make your car sound like a coffee pot
3.not as safe in bad weather which can occur in the 4 colder months of the year
XS
1.AWD good all year driving (safer in snow)
2. same sport front
3. same seats
4. no BBK

i got sick of making my list but theres nothing thats really is a decision maker
Very helpful! Pardon my ignorance, though... What is BBK? Brimbos?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by VincenzG35
i'd go with the XS listen...
The entire post sounds a bit abrasive, but he makes some really valid points.

JThompson, BBK = Big Brake Kit.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by soundmike
The entire post sounds a bit abrasive, but he makes some really valid points.

JThompson, BBK = Big Brake Kit.
Ok cool I gotcha. Thanks

Old 03-15-2011, 11:26 AM
If I could've found an xS, I would've gone with that. This winter with the G35s had me a little nervous at times!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by theophilus
If I could've found an xS, I would've gone with that. This winter with the G35s had me a little nervous at times!
Is it as bad as like a mustang or other RWD cars?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by JThompson
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a '07+ G35 and am looking into the benefits of both the G35x and the Sport model. I live in Kansas City so I have to put up with all 4 seasons. Is the AWD a huge benefit/is the RWD G35 all that bad? Does anyone have the Sport or heard much about it?

I would be getting an automatic if that makes a difference. Too many hills and stop lights/traffic where I live currently.

Thanks for your help!

Jordan
Just went through the worst NE winter in a long while after getting my '07 G53S 6MT last october.

I put Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on for the winter (ultra-high performance all season), and I had no issues with the RWD. I was diligently trudging to work in 2-4" of fresh snow on the highway without much slippage (albeit slowly).

I did get stuck once, my own fault though, turned up a steep hill at like 2mph, which turned out to be about 6" of that "mashed potatoe" slushy snow before it gets plowed.. Can't fault the car for that though.

I was a bit worried before buying, the guys that the Infiniti here (not where I ended up finding my car) were trying to talk me out of it, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Old 03-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by JThompson
Is it as bad as like a mustang or other RWD cars?
I would say "no," since we have way less TQ. My old GT with 4.10's could get the rear end out almost at will, even with 295s on the back.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Xs would be sweet, but they can be a bit harder to come by. For a person's budget, I'd say got with the x. I also live in MN and am so happy with my purchase. If you want the 5AT and don't plan to mod too heavily I would go with the x for many of the same reasons as listed above ^. You will be very happy with either car as they are all around awesome in their own ways. Good luck searching!

Old 03-19-2011, 12:32 AM
6 MT S here in Minnesota. Just have 2 sets of rims and tires (Falken Z rated Eurowinters for winter) and would not have it any other way. The all around goodness of RWD all year round and no probs in the winter as long as you're smart.

I won't drive an auto so really no other way for me....

Old 03-19-2011, 12:44 AM
I have a 08 G35X and added the Sport Seats, Akebonos, 20" Wheels, Lowered on Eibach Springs, Hotchkis Sway bars and Hypertech Tune and I love my ride. I could Not find an XS in SoCal when I bought mine, but if you have to deal with Snow definitely get an AWD.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:01 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The idea of snow tires on a G sounds funny to me, i'd say save yourself the hassle. Besides the X is rear wheel drive biased anyways so you're still getting the performance aspect of a RWD but with the benefits of an all wheel drive system. VincenzG35 makes some valid points as well. And am I missing something? Boywonder can't stand looking at the X compared to the S? Aesthetically speaking what is the difference? I agree the X got the "ugly" front bumper but that is solved with a lip for $260 that looks very very sharp. Besides small cosmetic things, what are the differences? Want to make sure I'm not going crazy...

Old 03-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by drivethefive
The idea of snow tires on a G sounds funny to me, i'd say save yourself the hassle.
Anyway, you should use winter tires on every car during the winter/snow conditions..think about braking and cornering aspects not only the acceleration...
Instead of rotating the tires every couple months I just exchange them with the other set.
It's the same amount of work and in longer time the cost balance is the same..I will use (1)winter and (1)summer set let say for 5 years and you will have to use (2) sets of all-season tires in the same time. Plus I don't have to care about my winter set (cheaper one) for all that salt and pot holes..

Besides the X is rear wheel drive biased anyways so you're still getting the performance aspect of a RWD but with the benefits of an all wheel drive system.
But also you have 166 lbs more, increased under-steer, 0.2s more in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, replace transfer case oil and worry about more things in the future related with AWD.

If I'd lived in Alaska I would buy X for sure (with winter tires all year long)..I live in Chicago suburbs and this winter we had maybe 8-12 days of the real snow on the road. One day it was +20" of snow fall and I was still able to drive without any issues. But now winter is gone and the fun is about to begin

Old 03-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts
G35x
Snow traction in the X is nice... full floor acceleration on wet pavement is nice as well. :-)

If I lived in a dry climate there would be no need for the X.