G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08-217/)
-   -   Driver's side door won't open!? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/371407-drivers-side-door-wont-open.html)

WxAxGxS 03-24-2011 11:55 AM

Driver's side door won't open!?

I've been trying to search but haven't found anything.

I went to get in my car today and my driver's side door won't open - from inside or out. There's no resistance to the handle (i've played with the manual lock mechanism on the side of the door) and I hear nothing when I use the auto lock/unlock...

Anyone have any idea? Or at least how to open the door when it's in this condition? I busted up my knee yesterday so I can't even climb over the console and I'm supposed to be making a road trip today (as in a few hours ago).

bluedevils95 03-24-2011 11:59 AM

Did you try your key? Or is it jsut the handle? Maybe the wire on the inside of the panel came off. That is the only thing i can think of for now.

WxAxGxS 03-24-2011 12:00 PM

Key doesn't work. The manual locker inside doesn't work. Inside and outside handles have no resistance and when I auto lock/unlock I hear no noise inside the door...

Any way I can get the door open? Can I even remove the panel with the door closed?

bluedevils95 03-24-2011 12:10 PM

I can't think of how to open it but you might want to give the dealers a call and they can help you w/ that. I hope they tell you.

rketchjr 03-24-2011 12:19 PM

You will have to take it the dealer. My car is headed down that path as well. Your locking mechanism is done. Costs around $600 - $800 at the dealer. There are times when my door will only open with the key. I don't hear a noise either when I try to open it elctronically on occassion.

kool_yaar 03-24-2011 06:39 PM

Inside and outside handles have no resistance
could be a broken wire that connects the handles to the latch.

preston8o8 03-24-2011 07:34 PM

hmm never heard this problem before

bluedevils95 03-24-2011 11:26 PM

Just to replace that wire is between $600 to 800 bucks!!! I would never pay that. I would Jerry rig that before i ever pay that price.

kool_yaar 03-24-2011 11:49 PM

^ i hope thats not true else that is taking it to a whole another level for the stealership... its an easy thing to do, iv done it on a couple of my old cars and it should not be any different, if u confirm its the wire then get it for $20-60 and DIY or have a local mechanic do it.

rketchjr 03-25-2011 02:35 PM

If it is the wire, it shouldn't be that costly to repair. I was told the locking mechanism itself was going bad and not the wiring. Either way, get it checked out sooner than later.

kool_yaar 03-25-2011 03:24 PM

^ but if the locking mechanism was the only thing going bad then in this case he would still feel resistance while pulling on the door handles which is why i believe its the wore it could also be the locking mech. if the remote is not unlocking the door.

WxAxGxS 03-25-2011 07:35 PM

Hey all, sorry for the delayed response (I finally made it to my destination).

After giving up on the car I went inside to throw things around... I called the dealer and they said it was probably a broken wire and would be $300 for the part and $150 for labor (EABOD, dealer, EABOD)... I then went back outside, hit unlock on my key fob and the door magically opened.

It has been working fine since, but I can only assume whatever happened will come back. When I get back home I will probably pull the panel off and take a look inside. I just bought this car (94k miles now) so who knows what has been done to it. I did notice today that there is some clear plastic hanging below the door pinched between the door and panel. Is this normal or has something been done inside before?

Anyway: the real challenge is pulling the panel off the door if you can't get it open. As far as I can tell this isn't even possible (as the trim hangs between the door and the rest of the car). Anyone have any thoughts/insight?

bluedevils95 03-25-2011 07:48 PM

That is still pretty expensive for me. I'll just roll the window down and jump in.

WxAxGxS 03-25-2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by bluedevils95 (Post 5768521)
That is still pretty expensive for me. I'll just roll the window down and jump in.

Difficulty: I just wrecked my knee and can't bend it (probably a torn LCL... will find out next week... diagnosed by myself though as the GP I went to was borderline retarded and I've had more than my fair share of torn/avulsed tendons/ligaments)... Makes getting in and out very hard. I couldn't even make it over the console as I'm 6'3" and there's no doing that without a bit of flexibility.

vqsmile 03-25-2011 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by WxAxGxS (Post 5768502)
I did notice today that there is some clear plastic hanging below the door pinched between the door and panel. Is this normal or has something been done inside before?

IIRC, they wrap the door panels (or sections of them) in clear plastic at the factory to protect them during shipping. The dealer removes this during the pre-delivery inspection. Sometimes they get sloppy and don't get all of it out.

gtbigup01 03-25-2011 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by WxAxGxS (Post 5768536)
Difficulty: I just wrecked my knee and can't bend it (probably a torn LCL... will find out next week... diagnosed by myself though as the GP I went to was borderline retarded and I've had more than my fair share of torn/avulsed tendons/ligaments)... Makes getting in and out very hard. I couldn't even make it over the console as I'm 6'3" and there's no doing that without a bit of flexibility.

Tell me about it. I had ACL surgery (failed) Dec 2009, and the removal of the graft Jan 2010. Since I just bought this car November 2010 I'm seeing that I miss my Yukon Denali everytime I have to get in my G and bending my knees. I actually have to hold above the door and lower myself in. :mad: So with no ACL, my next attempt at surgery is in my near future.

vdoh8687 03-27-2011 09:46 AM

This happened to me 2 months ago, the door lock actuator had gotten jammed, and nothing was working. The outside handle got all floppy as well, I think the cable broke when everything inside got jammed up. It was going to be a real expensive fix (almost 700) but I lucked out and Infiniti covered me since I was only a couple weeks out of warranty and was only 1 week out when I reported it. Also, the replacement lock actuator broke but that was covered under Nissan replacement part warranty. The third one also died but that was a tech error and it lost power so the door still worked you just had to lock and unlock manually.

Same thing happened to my friends Nissan, her replacement also has died and been replaced. It is a common Nissan problem if you poke around. I found the issue reported for Titans, QX56s, FXs, G35s, Muranos, Rogues all over the internet. I am kind surprised there is not a recall b/c if it breaks when you are in the car or in an accident you could get trapped.

gtbigup01 03-27-2011 09:54 AM

^ Not sure how comon this is. I've had 02 Max, 04 Titan, 04 G35, and now this and have never had a door not open, so IDK. Isolated? Sure, comon? Far stretch.

vdoh8687 03-27-2011 10:19 AM

I wouldn't say it is isolated as I found a lot of complaints online, but yea, when i said common I did not mean it to sound like most Nissans would experience the issue, because most cars wont, its just that it does happen. Also Nissan has issued a TSB for the issue on some models so it is def not isolated.

timn99 04-08-2011 10:45 PM

vdoh8687,

I sent you a PM, can you take a look? Did the dealer take care of this, or did you open a case with Infiniti Consumer Affairs and they gave the approval? I have a similar situation, warranty expired 3/23/11 and hoping for the best.

Originally Posted by vdoh8687 (Post 5771123)
This happened to me 2 months ago, the door lock actuator had gotten jammed, and nothing was working. The outside handle got all floppy as well, I think the cable broke when everything inside got jammed up. It was going to be a real expensive fix (almost 700) but I lucked out and Infiniti covered me since I was only a couple weeks out of warranty and was only 1 week out when I reported it. Also, the replacement lock actuator broke but that was covered under Nissan replacement part warranty. The third one also died but that was a tech error and it lost power so the door still worked you just had to lock and unlock manually.

Same thing happened to my friends Nissan, her replacement also has died and been replaced. It is a common Nissan problem if you poke around. I found the issue reported for Titans, QX56s, FXs, G35s, Muranos, Rogues all over the internet. I am kind surprised there is not a recall b/c if it breaks when you are in the car or in an accident you could get trapped.

bellabomba 12-11-2012 10:46 AM

Infinity G35 Door Jammed :(

Did anyone ever figure out what caused this problem? I had the exact same problem this morning and followed the same steps and it too magically opened :) Just wondering if I should expect it to happen again and if I should be getting something fixed :confused2: Thanks :)

Duong 03-05-2014 07:04 PM

The actual cause of the door and actuator not working or becoming damaged is due to a manufacturing flaw where when the temperature drops and becomes cold causes the actuator to freeze. Water can also get in a cause issues to the actuator as well. i just recently got my actuator changed at the dealer because i was suffering from this issue for about a year and the door eventually wasn't able to open on either the inside or outside.

Hope this helps

DMG311 03-12-2014 10:10 PM

I've had the same problem when the car gets cold. Particularly when it rains and freezes or I wash the car and it gets cold at night. Get the car warm and the door will open.

Take a can of WD40 and lube the lock mechanism on the door like crazy. About every 6-8 weeks in my car during the winter.

Let me know if you have any other issues...will help if I can...

g35coupe2 09-10-2015 10:40 PM

Keyless/key won't lock car

So my fob doesn't work at all. I've gotten the new battery and replaced it but still doesn't register. Is there some syncing that I have to get done to it? Also, the actual key doesn't turn when I put it in the outside of the door. So it won't unlock or lock. What could that mean? I just got the car yesterday and I can't figure it out. I don't want to always leave the car unlocked. 2007 g35 coupe.

vqsmile 09-10-2015 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by g35coupe2 (Post 7019476)
So my fob doesn't work at all. I've gotten the new battery and replaced it but still doesn't register. Is there some syncing that I have to get done to it? Also, the actual key doesn't turn when I put it in the outside of the door. So it won't unlock or lock. What could that mean? I just got the car yesterday and I can't figure it out. I don't want to always leave the car unlocked. 2007 g35 coupe.

FYI: You'll get better results if you ask this in the correct (1st gen) forum.

g35coupe2 09-12-2015 04:12 AM

Driver's side door won't open!?

Okay thank you

E_TRANE 09-13-2015 08:22 AM

I had this issue when i first purchased my '08 G35x. The driver side door wouldn't open from the inside or outside. I could hear the lock actuator but it wasn't fully unlocking. I ended up rolling the window all the way down and was able to pull the interior trim of the door out just enough to access the inside lock link rod.

It is possible to loosen the interior trim enough to fix this with the door being closed.

NateG35 06-16-2017 11:44 AM

My 2007 G35 won't unlock I can't go through the trunk nothing and i have had to barely even move my ground wire to start my car but now I'm locked out

DMG311 06-16-2017 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by NateG35 (Post 7109193)
My 2007 G35 won't unlock I can't go through the trunk nothing and i have had to barely even move my ground wire to start my car but now I'm locked out

i had something similar happen. First, this ground wire are we talking battery negative (black) wire or are we talking chassis ground? Hopefully it's the battery cable which would make sense to me. If it is the car battery you should have no power. Check key fob battery next. Then we start looking at hard stuff, fuses, chassis ground, etc...Does your g35 have the key slot and a key in your fob? If so release hood and check battery cables...get terminal cleaner and tighten or replace cables if necessary. Once power is back ur good to go. If not keep trouble shooting.

If you can't get in at all and you're sure it's not key fob:
when this happened to me at the golf course in the rain, it was very unnerving. I had to jack my car up and take the splatter covers mostly off inside each wheel well. At least enough to get a screw driver or knife in my case up in and push the locking tab on hood outwards to release it on each side drivers and passenger.

This should release hood so you can check battery and connections, fuses etc.

​​​​​​​good luck!